Sponsored

Tommmay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Countryman
Ford is reportedly considering stuffing the Raptor's twin turbo V6 in the Ranger, which might mean that the upcoming Bronco gets it too. I assume the two cars will share engine offerings?

http://www.motoring.com.au/ford-ranger-raptor-possible-101021/

Muscled-up Ranger ute could join F-150 Raptor as part of Ford Performance expansion

One of the maddest utes in existence is the new Ford F-150 Raptor, a jacked-up, 300kW twin-turbo V6 monster.

And the Ford Ranger could be next in line for a serious workover.

The F-150 Raptor was developed by Ford Performance, the same team behind the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS and Mustang GT350. Formed roughly 12 months ago, Ford Performance has previously confirmed it will develop 12 new models by 2020.

Factor in the above five models and the newly-formed hot shop has seven models to come.

There’s no official confirmation at this stage but Paul Seredynski, Ford Performance global communications manager, said a Ford Ranger Raptor “was a fascinating idea” after dismissing several others, including a Ford Fiesta RS.

With a number of new Ford performance models to come by 2020 — the majority of which will need to be global vehicles — and the sales potential of North America joining the 180 countries in which the Ranger is already sold by 2019, it could be a profitable option for the Blue Oval to consider.

The initial response of Ford Performance’s chief engineer, Tyrone Johnson, to a Ford Ranger Raptor ute was “we don’t comment on future product”.

But clearly the idea of a beefed-up, bullet-proof Ranger Raptor is one that’s not lost on the decision makers at Ford.

“One thing that is true for us, and perhaps less true for others looking at some of the hardware they have: everything we do has to have a solid business case.

“We don’t do products that lose money or break even,” he said.

This begs the question, would an aggressively styled, top-shelf, go-fast Ranger have global appeal and would it be profitable for the brand? Johnson was evasive but didn’t deny that logic of the argument, particularly as Ranger is headed to the US in a few years.

“If it makes money, if there’s a business case, then I’m sure the people responsible for it are discussing it,” he posited, before offering: “Sure, it could be considered.”

Would you be tempted by a pumped-up, more powerful Ford Ranger flagship – potentially powered by a V6 turbo-petrol engine – positioned abover the current $57,890 Wildtrak (pictured)? Leave your thoughts in the comments below.
Sponsored

Ecobeasttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The 3.5L TT would be a total monster in a smaller sized Bronco. I'm not sure they go that aggressive for the base model but it'd be a good way to save costs and the F-150 should be due for a new engine by the time the new Bronco were to hit the market.

OP
OP

Tommmay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Countryman
The 3.5L TT would be a total monster in a smaller sized Bronco. I'm not sure they go that aggressive for the base model but it'd be a good way to save costs and the F-150 should be due for a new engine by the time the new Bronco were to hit the market.
What do you mean base model? They could have a base engine and also a Ford Bronco Raptor with the monster engine from the F150 Raptor no?

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
LOL the car is still 3-4 years from hitting dealers and we're already speculating on a Ford Bronco Raptor?! Crazy... but I LOVE IT! :D

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just my opinion but there's probably a better chance of the Ranger/Bronco getting the 2.7L EB and I'd be perfectly happy with that. That engine is now being used in the F-150, Edge and Fusion. It is extremely compact and powerful, rated at 325 hp and 375 lb ft in the F-150. That is significantly more than the 4.6L V8 in my '07 Sport Trac which I would assume to be very similar in size and weight to the current and (hopefully) future Ranger. Although I have made a few minor intake/exhaust mods to my Sport Trac the 4.6L makes for a more than adequate drivetrain in that size truck and I have to believe the 2.7L would be even better.

Sponsored
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my opinion but there's probably a better chance of the Ranger/Bronco getting the 2.7L EB and I'd be perfectly happy with that. That engine is now being used in the F-150, Edge and Fusion. It is extremely compact and powerful, rated at 325 hp and 375 lb ft in the F-150. That is significantly more than the 4.6L V8 in my '07 Sport Trac which I would assume to be very similar in size and weight to the current and (hopefully) future Ranger. Although I have made a few minor intake/exhaust mods to my Sport Trac the 4.6L makes for a more than adequate drivetrain in that size truck and I have to believe the 2.7L would be even better.
I agree, I do not think the Bronco will get the Raptor engine but the 2.7 EB is definitely possible.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think about some of those Subaru turbos that have been beat on for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm more concerned about electronics and emissions wizardary than the hard parts of the motor. If there are issues with the hard parts, they usually cure them by the next or third model year, like the new 6.7 diesel. The rocker arms needed beefed up and a few other small tweaks .... but a broken rocker arm cost you a motor.... ouch!

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Save yourself some money and get 2.7. Especially if you’re thinking Of owning bronco raptor In the future. Just get the 2.7 and be done with it and you can chip it later and get more performance out of it.

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Uh, welcome to 2016. ;)

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, I do not think the Bronco will get the Raptor engine but the 2.7 EB is definitely possible.
Am I missing something? The Bronco already has the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 as an option across the trim levels.