Sponsored

Ford recalling some models for driver seatbelt unbuckled warning chime sound duration

TheBear

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco WT, '20 RAM 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was rather enjoying my alarm that only lasted a few seconds. Definitely not getting that fixed. Often I am aware of the issue (no seatbelt), but I'm too busy getting underway and my news channel chosen to worry about a seatbelt in the first few moments. Also, seatbelt warnings are really annoying when you have a heavy bag in another seat and it assumes it is a person.....happens all the time in prior vehicles.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Way back in the mid 70’s when I began to drive I always wore a seat belt. The government didn’t need to force me. My logic was simple. I wouldn’t get in a carnival ride without a form of passenger restraint. While a vehicle won’t mimic a carnival ride 98% of the time, the two percent when it may, you’ll wish the belt was on. BTW, wonder how long it would take for this recall to get attendant to. My windshield recall appointment isn’t until mid April.

Wallysdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have always wondered why big brother hasn't installed a light on the exterior of the vehicle notifying the police that you are unbuckled. Coming soon!

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When going down the hiway and you gotta unbuckle to reach into the back seat for more smokes or a fresh beer that chime does get pretty annoying.
Or to smack your noisy brat who keeps teasing his sister.

Seriously: Ford dealers may just do without your asking when you go in for other service--something they can bill Ford for.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I always wear mine, so USUALLY not a big deal.

Except when prairie dogging....quite annoying as you move around from spot to spot.

And...have you seen Ice Road Truckers? When they unbuckle AND open the door going over sketchy ice....?

I miss my old Sciroccos where you could reach under the seat and unplug them.

Sponsored

Bu¢kWild

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2 door, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had a one off instance where I unbuckled and the chime did not work at all!!

Was on the highway and opened it to remove my jacket and was good 5 mins till I realized that I had unbuckled and forgot to rebuckle and the vehicle did not notify with sound or screen warning.

Not a deal breaker for me but such an expensive vehicle should atleast work the way it was programmed.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

one of the first things I do when I get a new car is turn them off.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It only really matters when you go to sell the vehicles, as in some states it is illegal to sell a vehicle with open recalls. (Although usually that only applies to dealer sales and not personal sales.)
In in the world did that work with the Takata Airbag recall? It took 4-5 years before Ford actually had the parts to replace the airbag in my Mustang. Then they recalled the passenger side two weeks later.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mainly because they still can, because, you know, they wear helmets. :)
I had 2 friends that rode bikes. One wore a helmet, the other refused saying that it was uncomfortable and hindered his peripheral vision. One day, they were both crossing the road on foot and the friend that wears his helmet was hit by a truck and killed. The other survived. Thus proving that helmets do not save lives.
At least, that is what my buddies freshman thesis said and he got an A.

Also, if you don't like the chimes, just replace them Tasty Chime Alternatives

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put mine on before I even start the car. Every accident scene I’ve been to as a volunteer firefighter, if there was a fatality, almost all were not wearing a seatbelt.
As a professional driver of 36+years I've seen more than my share of wrecks and I've seen plenty of belted people die. Seat belt or not if it's your time God's gonna take you. A chime is not gonna make somebody wear a seat belt or not.

Sponsored

Gritty

Wildtrak
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If this is true and there is an actual recall, why isn't there one for the 7MT? There are 4-5 threads on this forum about the grinding noise. Now I know the response will be a safety issue, but to me Ford is obviously aware of the problem and has not addressed it. Easy cheap fix for the chime, but will be a huge cost to replace/repair the transmission. Comes down to cost, bottom line. Oh and I don't have the 7MT. Que the Ford apologist!

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a professional driver of 36+years I've seen more than my share of wrecks and I've seen plenty of belted people die. Seat belt or not if it's your time God's gonna take you. A chime is not gonna make somebody wear a seat belt or not.
I personally don’t care if anyone wears a seatbelt, unless they’re in my car.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/oth...odels/ar-AA16hDBk?ocid=hplocalnews&li=BBnb7Kz

This is not specific to the Bronco but I just saw a headline of a "Massive Ford recall" -- apparently on some models if the driver seatbelt is unbuckled the warning chime sounds for an insufficient amount of time (4 seconds). According to the headline this is unsafe because it may cause drivers to drive without bucking their seatbelt.

Are you kidding me!! Is anyone actually going to get this done? While I normally buckle my seatbelt, I disabled the damn warning chime on my last new vehicle because it was so annoying and wouldn't stop. How about a recall to disable the damn seatbelt chime? I can't say anything more without getting banned for politics.
Lets go one step farther. Get rid of mandatory seat belts.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
My favorite statement from the link.

"There is an increased chance of injury if the chime doesn’t properly alert about unbuckled seatbelts. So, if this Ford recall impacts your vehicle, it is prudent to address it promptly."
How many people who wear seat belts need the reminder?

And how many who are inclined to not wear seat belts will because of the chime?

Anyway a minor thing, there have been some truly stupid attempts to force seat belt compliance.

Seat belt ignition interlocks were fun. People would just bypass or leave belt plugged in and sit on it due to some of the quirks with age.

My aunt claimed that the seat belt ignition interlock on her car (mid 70s) would force her to get out of the car, back in then plug in her seat belt if she stalled her car. That the interlock required a sequence of weight off belt unbuckled, weight on, then buckled.

And then when the government pushed passive restraint systems there were those good old seat belts that would move into place themselves, but would wrap themselves around your neck in a. few seconds if you were just leaning a little out your window and you opened the door. Think fast food drive thru can't quite reach so open the door while leaning thru. Oh what fun.

I am not sure I ever noticed the chime for seat belts in my bronco. But maybe I am half deaf.
Sponsored