Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/ford-retail-orders-broke-two-records-in-september/

Last month, Ford retail orders reached an astounding 197,000 units for the 2023 model year, which is a 244 percent increase over the 2022 model year. That’s good enough for a new record, while the automaker also recorded its sixth straight month where more than 50 percent of its retail sales came from previously placed orders – which is also a new record.
This trend began last year, when Ford’s retail orders were up 33 percent in December when compared to the same month in 2020. One month later, retail orders surged even more, reaching the 90,000 mark in January, and by February, around one-third of new Ford vehicle sales were coming from previously-placed orders. The same has held true for Lincoln as well, as the luxury brand enjoyed a nearly 300 percent increase in retail orders year-over-year as of February.

In terms of individual models, the Ford F-Series led the way by accounting for the majority of those orders, which rose to make up more than half of all new sales by April, while the 2023 Ford Maverick also racked up 86,000 retail orders in just a week’s time. A recent study found that more than one-third of new vehicle shoppers are willing to order their next new vehicle rather than buy it from a dealer lot as well, which bodes well for the automaker’s plan to continue expanding that part of its business.

Am I reading this correctly? All models included, Ford has tallied 197k retail orders for 2023. I have a feeling there is much less than 90k bronco orders in that total but that’s just my guess with no factual data lol.
Sponsored

Newdoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This sounds like a press release to bolster the weakening stock price.

There is so much in play with this 197K order number. Supply chain may improve. Pent up demand is there, maybe.

Order banks closed early for MY2022 for a number of vehicles pushing people to MY2023, plus so many 2022 Bronco rollover orders. There may not be many more overall vehicle orders past this initial large number Ford threw out.

There might be a large number of Bronco "pre-orders" since March 2022 which could bolster order numbers with the retail banks open up, but MSRP going up and high interest rates may put a damper on that.

Wolfpack

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5Spd, 2002 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Well from my understanding Maverick orders were only opened for a week or so and may or may not be included in this numbers. For the Bronco, orders are just now being placed with no opportunity for new retail orders to be placed. Only reservation and previous orders can place an order at this time. I think the article may be pointing to the fact that people want, and have, placed orders. I would guess most Ford models are in, or are wrapping up in the next 2 months, most of their retail orders now that the new model years features are on display. All I know is the Bronco is still in high demand because allocation keeps screwing long term reservation holders. Demand>Allocation nationwide (or even worldwide).

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Retail orders seem to be the new normal. Used to be people only special ordered if they couldn't find exactly what they wanted on the lot. Like some off the wall combination of options that no dealer would order for stick. Or it was a limited edition. Now with little to no dealer stock the only way to get anything is to place an order. It's like back to the older days of Harley Davidson where you couldn't buy bike off of a dealer floor. You put an order and deposit down with your dealer of choice and waited 1-3 years.

Sponsored

Racerdad

Badlands
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My high school english teacher would have flunked this guy (or gal?) for being so unclear in this press release. But I suppose that their boss probably gave him/her a raise for successful obfuscation. For context, in 2021 - the last full calendar year - Ford/Lincoln USA sold approximately 1,900,000 vehicles. That's about 158,000 per month at the height of COVID. So if 50,000 of the new '23 orders are rollover Bronco orders, sales sound pretty weak.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is it really a record when it includes rollover orders? I guess we'll have to wait until after November 21st to see if they'll publish Bronco numbers.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Retail orders seem to be the new normal. Used to be people only special ordered if they couldn't find exactly what they wanted on the lot. Like some off the wall combination of options that no dealer would order for stick. Or it was a limited edition. Now with little to no dealer stock the only way to get anything is to place an order. It's like back to the older days of Harley Davidson where you couldn't buy bike off of a dealer floor. You put an order and deposit down with your dealer of choice and waited 1-3 years.
^^^ Truth. Even in the late '70's if you wanted a stick shift truck, you had to order it. The dealer I bought my F250 from from stocked them, and had folks from 300+ miles away going there to buy them. Niche market, they recognized it. I traveled 150 miles to get mine. Single days...***sigh***

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it really a record when it includes rollover orders? I guess we'll have to wait until after November 21st to see if they'll publish Bronco numbers.
Hell yeah! It shows how bad Ford handled 2022 scheduling and production! It was so bad, it could've broken some type of record...
In all seriousness, I agree with you, the real numbers should be the ones after the November cutoff.
Sponsored