Ford Retractable Cloth Roof Patent possibly for Bronco

1. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
    #1 Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2019
    Would this count as “removable roof” for everyone? Certainly tickles my fancy.

Via Motortrend:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-bronco-cloth-roof-patent-drawing/

Yesterday, we found a patent for removable doors that we're pretty sure Ford plans to offer on the new Bronco. The two-door-pickup-like shape of the vehicle shown even appears to be a nod to the Bronco II, even if it doesn't include much detail. But according to a recent report, the Bronco will come with a removable roof as well as removable doors. After doing some more digging, we may have found a patent that shows Ford's plan for that, as well.

If this had been a simple patent for an SUV with removable roof panels, we probably wouldn't have paid much attention to it. Even if Ford had developed some clever mechanism or method for removing them, the patent itself probably wouldn't have shown anything all that novel. But these drawings reveal something much more interesting. Assuming this feature is intended for the Bronco, it looks like owners will have the option of using a removable cloth cover once the hard top is removed. And instead of a single sunshade, there will be two layers—one made out of mesh and another made from cloth.

So even with the roof off, you'll still be able to decide whether you want a completely open experience, a little bit of wind and sun protection, or a full cloth cover. It also doesn't look like the cloth and mesh roof will have to stay installed at all times, either. Ford appears to have borrowed its design from the retractable cargo covers that are popular on hatchbacks and crossovers, allowing the entire piece to be unclipped and removed.

That idea is pretty cool on its own and definitely worthy of coverage, but it appears there's more. The part that really caught our attention is Figure 15 (at the top of this post), which shows the cloth roof pulled back the other direction and supported by stakes. It's far from a fully enclosed tent that you could sleep in, but turning the cloth roof into an awning is pretty creative. If you take your Bronco fishing or camping, it could be pretty useful, too.

As we said yesterday, there's no guarantee that Ford intends to use this patent on the Bronco. Even if it does, the dual-material removable cloth roof may be a pricey option. But like the doors, it's a seriously cool idea that may help the Bronco give the Jeep Wrangler a real run for its money.

Source: Google Patents

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-1.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-2.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-3.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-4.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-5.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-6.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-7.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-8.jpg

2021-ford-bronco-soft-top-retractable-roof-9.jpg

2. Husker

Husker Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    It would be OK for tailgating!

Dirty Bronco likes this.
  3. Mustang313

Mustang313 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT (s197)
    Very cool. So it's like an upgrade on the idea of the popular aftermarket removable sunshades you see on Jeeps, except this one is also retractable and two-piece (allowing use as cloth or mesh top). I'm liking these innovative takes on removable top and doors we're starting to see!

JAG likes this.
  4. BONESTOCK

BONESTOCK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L
    Yeah looks cool. Probably wouldn't opt for it if it's a $2000 option. haha. I doubt I would really ever use it.

5. Dirty Bronco

Dirty Bronco Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ford Explorer
    Love this! It might not be everyone's cup of tea but... it shows that the Bronco will be innovative and hopefully have plenty of options for people to build it how they see fit.

phillyfx4 likes this.
  6. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    VW Passat, formerly fullsize '84 Bronco
    If some of these features usually only seen as aftermarket items for the Wrangler make it in as factory options for the Bronco it will certainly stir some competition, and make some people who aren't diehard brand loyalists give it a hard look.

BroncoRevital and BroncoBill like this.
  7. JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 F150
    I really like the idea of being able to swap this with a lightweight hard top and it looks easily achievable with this design. This would be very appealing to those at or above the 40th North Parallel who would want something insulated and hard in the winter, but want a soft hybrid for spring/summer/fall.

Stampede.Offroad likes this.
  8. phillyfx4

phillyfx4 Active Member

THIS :fingerscrossed:
    and the rock crawlers will "do what they have to do" …..nothing wrong with that :thumbsup:

JAG likes this.
  9. OX1

OX1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
    I made a soft top (half cab) that started with a bikini and lower part of
    soft doors on my 70. Would be cool if they could have separate soft
    sides and rear that integrated into the soft top already there. And maybe
    even soft upper doors that attached to the hard lower.

DCP04101.jpg
    BACK.jpg
    DOOR%20FRAME.jpg

Even made little soft top rain guards

RAIN%20GUARD%203.jpg

phillyfx4, BONESTOCK and JAG like this.
  10. BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
    This is fantastic. I'm really liking all the ingenuity Ford is looking into.

This is exactly what I was hoping they would do with the Bronco. I can now only wait with hopeful optimism that these options actually make it to production.