Sponsored

Do you think cracks in a $60k truck should be considered normal?

• Total voters

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I just received a response from the Ford dealer that worked on the warranty claim for the paint issues with my Bronco. Here's the initial thread
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-birthmarks-and-other-quality-issues.68286/

It took them 1 month to get it repainted. I had to drive a rental RAV4 all that time:mad:, but finally I received a message from a service advisor saying that the Bronco should be ready for pickup in 1 hour. I hope the body shop did a better paint job than the Ford factory.

In addition to the paint flaws, I wanted the dealer to address the cracks in the MIC hardtop while they have the truck. And here's the reply I received:

PXL_20230127_194355596.jpg
PXL_20230221_160445538.jpg

It's sad to see that @Ford Motor Company is not even trying to cover their current quality issues with good customer service. Until just recently, I was thinking about buying a new Mustang, but after having these problems with the Bronco and the poor customer support, I think I will not buy another car from Ford until they resolve all the issues.
Ford conspiracy to get more people to opt for the soft top
Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah nothing body related is in covered under Ford Protect right? It's roughly all mechanical and electronic parts. I remember looking at the brochure before I got it for my Mustang. The new brochure from this year is more descriptive though.
I guess we all have to hope for a class action suit at some point, because these tops seems like they come with a short expiration date.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what does it take to get a class action law suite started? How does this not fall into that bucket. There are way too many occurrences for this to be random. Its too consistent. This has legal written all over it and I am certain that ford knows this already. I would be talking to a lawyer already but my top hasnt started cracking yet. Consultations are free. Only at 1300 miles.

Bad-Daddy-Lands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco, ‘21 F250, ‘96 911/993
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^ Do we have a count on the folks with cracked tops? And what percentage of tops delivered have to be defective for the issue to be suitable for a suit? I honestly don't know. Any lawyers in the house?

If Ford has delivered 50k hardtops, which I would suggest is below the actual number, what if 500 (1%) are defective...does that reach the bar?

I don't think we have 500 forum members documented to have issues.

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Gotta love these MIC tops 🙃
karate-kid-wax-on.gif

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what does it take to get a class action law suite started? How does this not fall into that bucket. There are way too many occurrences for this to be random. Its too consistent. This has legal written all over it and I am certain that ford knows this already. I would be talking to a lawyer already but my top hasnt started cracking yet. Consultations are free. Only at 1300 miles.
Why are you worried about starting a lawsuit when you can get it warrantied for free?

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why are you worried about starting a lawsuit when you can get it warrantied for free?
Good question. I am anticipating that this will happen to me and many others. And if you read through the forms of these “MIC hard top warranty” issues, it seems pretty random as to when Ford is saying “yes, we got you covered under warranty” vs “thats not covered under warranty”. The cracks look the exact same, in the same region of the hard top, and all of the broncos are still under the bumper to bumper. So what gives? I dont want to get caught in that second bucket. A class action lawsuit will require/force Ford to qualify every single MIC hardtop for repair/replacement and no longer under Fords random discretion.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good question. I am anticipating that this will happen to me and many others. And if you read through the forms of these “MIC hard top warranty” issues, it seems pretty random as to when Ford is saying “yes, we got you covered under warranty” vs “thats not covered under warranty”. The cracks look the exact same, in the same region of the hard top, and all of the broncos are still under the bumper to bumper. So what gives? I dont want to get caught in that second bucket. A class action lawsuit will require/force Ford to qualify every single MIC hardtop for repair/replacement and no longer under Fords random discretion.
Many people have already had this concern warrantied with zero issues.
For the people that haven't, I guarantee its a dealer issue, and not Ford saying it isn't covered.
There's no reason they would warranty some and not other for the exact same condition. Which means a class action lawsuit isn't going to solve anything. I would recommend finding a new dealer if they give you trouble about getting it covered.

Last edited:

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is there any evidence that this issue occurs more with time?

Like I was getting at in a previous comment, I'm only seeing people "discover" this after a few thousands miles or 6 months. I'm wondering if the top was defective from day 1 and people did not inspect their new vehicle thoroughly enough.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The service manager said that he sent the photos of my MIC hardtop to Ford and I should expect their response next week. Most likely, the service advisor hadn't pass on my initial complaint to Ford and simply lied to me about the company's response.

Stay tuned.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there any evidence that this issue occurs more with time?

Like I was getting at in a previous comment, I'm only seeing people "discover" this after a few thousands miles or 6 months. I'm wondering if the top was defective from day 1 and people did not inspect their new vehicle thoroughly enough.
I agree. The rate we are seeing these come in is not normal and has material defect written all over it.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The service manager said that he sent the photos of my MIC hardtop to Ford and I should expect their response next week. Most likely, the service advisor hadn't pass on my initial complaint to Ford and simply lied to me about the company's response.

Stay tuned.
Good luck. Cheering for yah all the way from SoCal!!!

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Class action lawsuit could force Ford to agree to cover these defects under terms it is bound, not based on what Ford feels like doing. Ford could decide it's going to stop covering these defects 6 mos., 1 year, etc. after purchase. Or if you have a roof rack.

Here's an example of a settlement
Subaru Settles Oil Burning Class Action Lawsuit - Top Class Actions

Evergreen

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Zero FXS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Chalk another vote up for "No". That is 100% not ok to be disregarded under warranty on any new vehicle, regardless of price point.
Mind boggling the debacle Ford has had plaguing broncos with the hard top. I switched to the soft top as a commodity thing like many others, and I certainly feel like I dodged a bullet at this point (saggy windows and all).

In keeping with the true spirit of forum posts:

Screw you Ford! I'm never buying your products again and I'll be moving out of the country to buy a Suzuki Jimny because your hard top quality made me angry!
Sponsored