Sponsored

Do you think cracks in a $60k truck should be considered normal?

• Total voters
OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Respectfull, they don’t get snow in SoCa….but did this year. It had to get below freezing to get that so though it may be rare in the SFBay area, I would think it occasionally happens? Not calling You out, just speculating.
Google says that the last time snow blanketed San Francisco was on the night of February 5, 1976.
Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold 😥), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a small crack in the rear. I was also told no by the service department at my closest dealer. I'll be trying another dealer at some point.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm not sure how everybody is aware or not but the whole entire top is made out of cardboard covered with a JB Weld type of a plastic material very thin sprayed on, then pressed in a mold? Or injection molding? The only molded hardtop that I see is the cardboard molding itself that itself inside sure it's a honeycomb material but so is a lot of other cardboard. Speaking of which, if any of these cracks let any water in that cardboard will mold and decay.😵🫨🤔

20230322_213343.jpg

20230322_213332.jpg

20230322_213336.jpg

Last edited:

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've caught a few hairline cracks in 2 inch groupings by both rear windows. I've since taken my bronco on some rough offroad / prerunning sessions in the desert, been in some 0*F overnight winter conditions, but the cracks themselves haven't progressed noticeably. Fingers crossed. Otherwise, I'm going to swap over to a trektop until a 2 door aftermarket hardtop comes out.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What would happen if one were to take an air compressor or pressure washer and judiciously clear out the dust that might have gotten caught in those cracks? Dirt has a tendency to get stuck in tiny hairline cracks and hides the extent of the actual damage. Any structurally sound top should be able to withstand high velocity air when you're on the highway, and taken through a car wash when it's dirty.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shine the beam of a flashlight parallel to /along the surface. This will make even very minor and otherwise invisible cracks or imperfections appear obvious. Use that technique and try again. I guarantee there are more cracks.
^This exactly. I’m willing to bet if everyone with a MIC does this you will see they are all cracked/cracking.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not sure how everybody is aware or not but the whole entire top is made out of cardboard covered with a JB Weld type of a plastic material very thin sprayed on, then pressed in a mold? Or injection molding? The only molded hardtop that I see is the cardboard molding itself that itself inside sure it's a honeycomb material but so is a lot of other cardboard. Speaking of which, if any of these cracks let any water in that cardboard will mold and decay.😵🫨🤔

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 20230322_213336

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 20230322_213336

It means that the Bronco MIC hardtop is basically an overpriced Ikea cabinet.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 69ee65bbcfe019aa049508e18aca3ffe

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is terrible. Not only are the MICs causing massive order delays but to add insult to injury, the MICs getting out to customers are pathetically failing. Finally, salt in the wound: dealers denying warranty claims when explicitly documented/approved directly by FoMoCo.

It is genuinely hard to believe. Someone should make a very strong youtube video about this and try to get some visibility, somehow, with some Ford Execs.

Also, on a loosely related note, just saw a post on the other forum about razor sharp edges on MICs. Multiple folks confirming such. One fellow got cut badly taking off a MIC panel and due to that dropped it.

Do we have to hand sand all of the removable panels to prevent cuts, blood and stitches?

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

^This exactly. I’m willing to bet if everyone with a MIC does this you will see they are all cracked/cracking.
I did this to mine at night a few months ago looking for any hint of irregularities. Saw the honeycomb structure in several places, didn't see any cracks or defects. Looked at it again during daylight and found nothing. Checked it again today and still haven't found anything. I've been keeping an eye on it as I'm 30K down on a 36K warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is terrible. Not only are the MICs causing massive order delays but to add insult to injury, the MICs getting out to customers are pathetically failing. Finally, salt in the wound: dealers denying warranty claims when explicitly documented/approved directly by FoMoCo.

It is genuinely hard to believe. Someone should make a very strong youtube video about this and get try to get some visibility, somehow, with some Ford Execs.

Also, on a loosely related note, just saw a post on the other forum about razor sharp edges on MICs. Multiple folks confirming such. One fellow got cut badly taking of a MIC panel and due to that dropped it.

Do we have to hand sand all of the removable panels to prevent cuts, blood and stitches?
It looks like this scar on my thumb is going to stay with me for the rest of my life as a reminder of the Bronco. I accidentally cut it when I was putting back the roof panels 3 months ago.

Handle them with caution; they are very sharp along the edges.

PXL_20230323_064821895.jpg

Notmattwong

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford has the gall to ask for $1895 for the hard top now instead of $695 for new orders. Yeah, I’m out.

Broncobadlands2023

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal PXL_20230323_064821895

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal PXL_20230323_064821895

Yeah, it’s complete and total trash. The Jeep hard top is 100X nicer than the Bronco one. We waited 2+ years for a vin (that we finally got 3 weeks ago) but we already moved on to a Jeep Wrangler. The hardtop was the one thing that really made me nervous about owning a Bronco. Ford needs to trash this 💩 design and do whatever Jeep is doing.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs