The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would really be nice if Ford would put a really strong coating underneath the Bronco. On the frame and all other metal components.

I see so many jeeps rusted to hell underneath. I hate rust. Hopefully Ford can prevent that from happening with the Bronco.

I feel like Ford is making the Bronco better then the Jeep so they should want to excel in this area as well.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How about they hot dip galvanize the entire steel part of the bronco.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The downside to applying an undercoating is that it can crack, allowing moisture to get in and under it. The coating holds the moisture in, and the corrosion spreads under the coating. This is more common with powdercoat. Paint can do the same, but the paint coating will flake off, limiting the spread UNDER the coating.
An alternative is to apply a seasonal coating such as Fluid Film, an organic oil-like protectant.

When I bought my '91 F-150 (new), I sprayed the underside with black enamel. For the most part, it likely helped. But in some areas the paint held the moisture in and allowed rust to spread under the paint film. On the flip side, an unpainted surface will develop light surface rust which can actually be a protective layer.
On the '01 Jeep I bought in 2011, I sprayed bedliner on the underside and have applied Fluid Film every fall for the past few years. I'd say this is a good combo..... a good coating on the metal plus another protectant to penetrate and shed moisture.

There are lots of products out there, the best depends on your maintenance schedule, climate, and driving conditions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
The downside to applying an undercoating is that it can crack, allowing moisture to get in and under it. The coating holds the moisture in, and the corrosion spreads under the coating. This is more common with powdercoat. Paint can do the same, but the paint coating will flake off, limiting the spread UNDER the coating.
An alternative is to apply a seasonal coating such as Fluid Film, an organic oil-like protectant.

When I bought my '91 F-150 (new), I sprayed the underside with black enamel. For the most part, it likely helped. But in some areas the paint held the moisture in and allowed rust to spread under the paint film. On the flip side, an unpainted surface will develop light surface rust which can actually be a protective layer.
On the '01 Jeep I bought in 2011, I sprayed bedliner on the underside and have applied Fluid Film every fall for the past few years. I'd say this is a good combo..... a good coating on the metal plus another protectant to penetrate and shed moisture.

There are lots of products out there, the best depends on your maintenance schedule, climate, and driving conditions.
I'll have to look into Fluid Film. Because living in the North East is a Nightmare. They spread salt like crazy.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll have to look into Fluid Film. Because living in the North East is a Nightmare. They spread salt like crazy.
Fluid Film is what I used on my FJ, and it worked great and is cheap. Toyota frames rust before you drive them off the lot...and Fluid Film kept my two (FJ and LX570) looking literally like new, as it stays wet / wet looking. I think it is far superior to dealer-style rustproofing, assuming you remember to reapply every 6 months or yearly.

I am also hoping Ford frames are more rust resistent out of the factory than Toyota or Jeep as well, but I have no idea on that.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i'm also in the Canadian rust belt. during the winters especially, when i wash my car i make sure to blast the underside with a pressure washer to clean it out. during the winter, when the weather warms up and the moisture starts to melt the salt, thats when you want to wash your car and get all the salt off before it does damage. when it's -15c (could be a different temperature but its close) or lower, the salt is still frozen, it doesn't really do much to the car. it's when it warms up. thats why in the really freezing weather, they don't drop salt because it's not effective on the roads.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i'm also in the Canadian rust belt. during the winters especially, when i wash my car i make sure to blast the underside with a pressure washer to clean it out. during the winter, when the weather warms up and the moisture starts to melt the salt, thats when you want to wash your car and get all the salt off before it does damage. when it's -15c (could be a different temperature but its close) or lower, the salt is still frozen, it doesn't really do much to the car. it's when it warms up. thats why in the really freezing weather, they don't drop salt because it's not effective on the roads.
This needs to be said more often. Always wash under the car and exactly as you said, Rust happens once it gets to a certain warmer temp.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, build it out of something more expensive than steel? Pass.

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Should Ford do this — yes. The problem is their competitor does not, So if Ford would do this now they are raising their price point vs their competitor on something that 99.9% of buyers would not factor in.

Unless Ford would want to market this differentiating feature. I know many in the north would view this as a benefit that justify some additional cost.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is where it's at.
Bedliner material for that extra protection (not the water-based crap on the automotive store shelf, but a urethane based 2-part one like Raptor) that is applied many mils thicker than paint, and then the Fluid Film coating every fall. IT's really that simple. Mask off stuff you don't want covered, then mask some more, and go to it.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would really be nice if Ford would put a really strong coating underneath the Bronco. On the frame and all other metal components.

I see so many jeeps rusted to hell underneath. I hate rust. Hopefully Ford can prevent that from happening with the Bronco.

I feel like Ford is making the Bronco better then the Jeep so they should want to excel in this area as well.
Pick it up, take it directly to LineX, have them spray the entire bottom :) haha.