Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the same guy who defended his dealership when they marked up a forum member’s reserved Bronco. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...arkups-on-my-bronco.47575/page-6#post-1475369

My question to him would be: Why does sport mode engage 4A on advanced transfer case broncos?

Issues like this is why you have to take your truck to a good dealer for warranty work. This guy would deny your claim for using 4A on dry pavement.
Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Bronco owners manual does NOT say anything about avoiding 4 Auto while on-road. In fact it specifically states, " When you select four-wheel drive auto, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions." It says ON ROAD, so there's no reason the transfer case should have failed unless the AWD system is not working properly and was engaging the clutches excessively.

The technician may be good at his job but his understanding of the drive modes is lacking.

najay

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss 302, focus st, gen1 lightning, f250 7.3l 4wd
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco owners manual does NOT say anything about avoiding 4 Auto while on-road. In fact it specifically states, " When you select four-wheel drive auto, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions." It says ON ROAD, so there's no reason the transfer case should have failed unless the AWD system is not working properly and was engaging the clutches excessively.

The technician may be good at his job but his understanding of the drive modes is lacking.
You need to watch the video - tl;dr of story is the Bronco was in 4A mode and was flat towed by a Tow truck. It was notput in flat tow mode. Rich is a great mechanic, but sometimes he has an interesting way of looking at stuff.

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You need to watch the video - tl;dr of story is the Bronco was in 4A mode and was flat towed by a Tow truck. It was notput in flat tow mode. Rich is a great mechanic, but sometimes he has an interesting way of looking at stuff.
Yeah, the towing was no doubt a problem if they didn't use a flatbed tow. But he was saying that you should not drive in 4-Auto on dry pavement. He made a big point of saying only use 2H for on road driving but the owners manual says that's fine or at least does provide any warning about 4-Auto. I watched the video completely and replayed several sections to make sure I knew what he was saying and then I checked what he was saying versus what was in the owners manual. I'm sure he's a good mechanic/technician but his statements about using 4-Auto is counter to Fords information.

Last edited:

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the same guy who defended his dealership when they marked up a forum member’s reserved Bronco. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...arkups-on-my-bronco.47575/page-6#post-1475369

My question to him would be: Why does sport mode engage 4A on advanced transfer case broncos?

Issues like this is why you have to take your truck to a good dealer for warranty work. This guy would deny your claim for using 4A on dry pavement.
So you mislead us by leaving out one critical fact. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You mean an incorrect way of explaining stuff. That was the most circuitous route of explaining tow mode. He could have just said the towing company ruined the transfer case. . His suggestion of what the transfer case should be in is wrong. 4A can be used in any condition. His ignorance and stupidity is negligent.

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that would be negligence on the operator ;)

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a towing caused problem. The Bronco is designed to be used in 4A at any time, especially considering Sport mode engages 4A. I don't think Ford would be dumb enough to do that if you were not able to use 4A on dry pavement. As far as the guy making the video, there is a reason I don't watch his video anymore, and this is a good example of why. My Montero has AWD and has no issues. If I were to guess if there was bucking at slow speeds, the transfer case may have already had an internal issue causing the clutch pack to lock up. But from the sounds of it, it only happened after it was towed. I watched part of the video on Youtube, and he is arguing about driving in 4A in the comments. Pride is a bitch sometimes. Why people cant admit when they are wrong is beyond my abilities to understand.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The “technician” in this video is a complete joke in the Ford technician community, so I wouldn’t listen to anything he has to say. Unfortunately people like this give legit technicians a bad name.

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This guy would deny your blown engine if you put 7 quarts of oil in your 2.7 cause the manual says don"t fill past the full mark on the dipstick.

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The one good thing I got out of this video, other than proving some experts don't know jack about what they're talking about, is the nifty little transfer pump. He says it is from Harbor Freight but I could not find it on the website. Anyone know about this pump or one similar?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The one good thing I got out of this video, other than proving some experts don't know jack about what they're talking about, is the nifty little transfer pump. He says it is from Harbor Freight but I could not find it on the website. Anyone know about this pump or one similar?
I think the one good thing about the video is when he gets smacked in the head putting the skid plate back up 😂

It doesn’t look like harbor freight sells that transfer pump anymore, but it’s on Amazon. Performance Tool W54170 12V Oil Extraction Pump

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The “technician” in this video is a complete joke in the Ford technician community, so I wouldn’t listen to anything he has to say. Unfortunately people like this give legit technicians a bad name.
It is amazing to see him continuously bully people offering valid criticisms about his erroneous information in the comments section. He is as stubborn as a mule and absolutely refuses to entertain the possibility that he could be wrong. The head smack from the transfer plate skid should have been recognized as karma. 😄

Why does the owner of the dealership allow him to record video of his work on the clock and then publish it on YouTube for his personal benefit? :unsure:

Seems like both a financial and PR liability for the dealership if the information he is offering on his channel is Incorrect and could cause damage or injury to viewers following his advice. (Not necessarily in this case, but maybe in others.) 🤷‍♂️

Overboost

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I purchased one of these off Amazon. It’s a manual pump but it has a switch to allow for extraction or dispensing of various fluids. I use it mostly for transmission fluid but it could be used for coolant, gearboxes or engine oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Sponsored