Sponsored

Ford technicians - which engine would you pick: 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0?

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If Ford is following this board... Please reconsider having a V8 option... Even your own mechanics know what choice to make!

No need to watch the link, just look at the tally in the attached graphic.

Ford Techs.PNG
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I watched that a couple weeks ago. It doesn't surprise me. I used to do the same thing to learn more about Nissans when I worked there. They'd let me know what engines and transmissions were good and which had more problems. As I understand it, the mod motors have been reliable and successful as a family.

Not that someone from Ford is reading this but if the bump to the 2.7L V6 really is only $1,895, I'll likely do it just because the 2.7 has a better reputation for longevity than the 2.3 (carbon buildup). Before seeing the pricing, I was going to consider putting a catch can on the 2.3 and just try to not worry about it.

My wife probably won't believe my rationale, but I swear it's true ha.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
New 5.0 (since 2018) has been a total disaster with oil consumption...look at the f150 forums.

Sad because it is a great engine.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Side note why is the 2.7 less prone to carbon buildup compared to the 2.3?

I remember carbon buildup was a big thing when DI engines first came out (BMW, Audi, etc) but doesn't seem to be much of a deal recently. Especially for those that have concurrent port injection.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember carbon buildup was a big thing when DI engines first came out (BMW, Audi, etc) but doesn't seem to be much of a deal recently. Especially for those that have concurrent port injection.
2.7 has port fuel injection as well as direct. 2.3 is DI only.

Sponsored

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because the 2.3 is only direct injection. The 2.7 get DI and port injection. Port injection helps keep the carbon buildup off the valves as the port injectors wash them with fuel.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New 5.0 (since 2018) has been a total disaster with oil consumption...look at the f150 forums.

Sad because it is a great engine.
I was interested in a Mustang personally, but heard that the 3rd gen had issues. Just the oil, or a lot more?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is they have had to continue to modify the engine to meet EPA guidelines. They are using lower tension rings, different cylinder lining and altered tuning. Other manufacturers are doing the same things (or have been) and it’s definitely not good for reliability. The smaller Turbo motors are easier to make compliant, this the proliferation of small turbo motors vs. larger naturally aspirated. The 2.3l got a bad rep in the Focus RS and to a lesser extent, the Mustang. They seemed to have figured out the head gasket issues and they have been solid recently. The mechanics In the video like the v8 tuning options, including supercharging. No one seems to talk badly about the 2.7, more around the sound and simplicity of the V8 and that you can supercharge is for more ultimate HP. I will still take the 2.7 all day based on my personal experience (even though it sounds like a farm implement). Coyote is hard to package too, much more likely to see the Baby 6.8 Godzilla in a Warthog or “Raptor” version at some point IMO.

DNVRBronco3

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep patriot
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If Ford is following this board... Please reconsider having a V8 option... Even your own mechanics know what choice to make!

No need to watch the link, just look at the tally in the attached graphic.

Ford Bronco Ford technicians - which engine would you pick: 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0? Ford Techs.PNG

welll im ngl what i got out of this is that the 2.7 is pretty sturdy and reliable
Sponsored