Sponsored

Ford Thinkware dash cam feedback / review?

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey everyone, I purchased this but before I let my dealer install it....I'm a little concerned with lack of visibility. Can this dashcam fit behind the rear view mirror or will it be more in the center of the windshield like in the official photo? Would appreciate any insight there, thanks!
Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I may still end up with Blackvue. I really liked the looks of it as well. Very sleek, where the Nextbase model looks like a small point and shoot camera from 2006.
Just got thru reading your thread. We are in the same boat with dashcams too (I think we have been on other threads about other mods :unsure: ). Anyway, I just ordered the latest Blackvue (DR900X-2CH Plus 4K) with the CME 100 LTE Module so I can have full parking coverage with alerts. I have a 5 year old Thinkware in another vehicle that has parking monitoring but no way to monitor it remotely, so this was a must have for me. I was leaning toward that latest Thinkware but the cloud monitoring of Blackvue appears much better.

So have you, or anyone else on the thread, installed your dashcam and determined where to get power? I will have a loaded Badlands with the aux switches in upper console so I figured there should be a wire nearby (tap for mirror or console) for both full time power and power only when vehicle is on (for parking feature to kick in). I don't really see a need to wire this into one of the six switches as its not designed for that anyway and I don't want to waste a switch on it. Does anyone know of a DIY video etc. that shows where to hardwire items in from the mirror tap, overhead console, etc. Mostly interested in ease of removing the covers and hints on which wires do what.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got thru reading your thread. We are in the same boat with dashcams too (I think we have been on other threads about other mods :unsure: ). Anyway, I just ordered the latest Blackvue (DR900X-2CH Plus 4K) with the CME 100 LTE Module so I can have full parking coverage with alerts. I have a 5 year old Thinkware in another vehicle that has parking monitoring but no way to monitor it remotely, so this was a must have for me. I was leaning toward that latest Thinkware but the cloud monitoring of Blackvue appears much better.

So have you, or anyone else on the thread, installed your dashcam and determined where to get power? I will have a loaded Badlands with the aux switches in upper console so I figured there should be a wire nearby (tap for mirror or console) for both full time power and power only when vehicle is on (for parking feature to kick in). I don't really see a need to wire this into one of the six switches as its not designed for that anyway and I don't want to waste a switch on it. Does anyone know of a DIY video etc. that shows where to hardwire items in from the mirror tap, overhead console, etc. Mostly interested in ease of removing the covers and hints on which wires do what.
I am about to do a write up this week of an install of the Blackvue 790 with IR for front/inside with a second Blackvue camera for the rear. I'll be running the data connectivity through a Verizon cellphone running as a hotspot since the LTE built in won't work.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am about to do a write up this week of an install of the Blackvue 790 with IR for front/inside with a second Blackvue camera for the rear. I'll be running the data connectivity through a Verizon cellphone running as a hotspot since the LTE built in won't work.
Good deal. I look forward to your write-up as I am sure it will help many of us. See a post I just made on a similar thread for more of my thoughts: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...cam-front-and-rear-recorder.26896/post-937025

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I installed the Ford thinkware F200 system this weekend. Pretty straightforward except for a couple of things:

This system does not come with a rear camera, it comes with an interior IR camera. I didn't realize that until I was getting ready to install and found that the cable for the 'rear' camera was only 2 feet long. I will be trying to sort out which rear camera will actually work with the front camera, as it's not 100% clear what camera it is. Ford says F200, camera says DC-M1-FG. The rear camera sold separately says it's not compatible with F200 PRO...

Connecting to the camera wifi is a little tricky with an Android, you have to disable Android auto so it won't keep forcing wifi to connect to the vehicle.

First trip with it I had footage to look at. A bird crashed in to my driver's door. Never saw it coming, just heard the thud. No damage fortunately. I'd attach a clip, but can't seem to get the site to take an MP4.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Forgot to update this. The DC-M1-FG is the F200 (not the PRO), apparently just a different designation for an OEM provided unit. Thinkware was OOS on the rear camera for the F200 ($50), but had refurb F200 with the rear cam for $110, so I got that.
I fished the rear camera cable through the passenger side roll bar, and mounted it on the glass. I'll just run without the rear cam when topless.

I may throw the extra F200 in our farm truck, the rear view is obstructed by the bed anyway, so no need for a rear cam.

I was a dash cam noob, so bought the Ford kit so I would have everything necessary. If you're looking to go this route just buy whichever camera you want from Thinkware and get the "EchoMaster OBD II Power Cable (Non-electric/Non-hybrid)" power cord (this was included in the Ford kit). The Ford instructions aren't Bronco specific.
Sponsored