Sponsored

Ford Thinkware dash cam feedback / review?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have experience or thoughts on the Thinkware dash cam Ford has on the accessory website?

https://accessories.ford.com/collections/dashcam?pf_t_model=Model: Ford_Bronco_2021
Thinkware is a great brand for dash cams. I have no experience with the Ford branded camera though.

For that price, you can go with the nicest units on the market. Something like the Blackvue 900 series, which is 4K and with optional cloud view capability.
https://blackvue.com/product/dr900x-2ch-plus/

Another option (the option I went with) is the Nextbase series of cameras.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-us/dash-cams/622gw-dash-cam/

Also 4K, image stabilization, great night vision etc.

Both of these cameras will allow you to view your footage directly on your cellphone or tablet without transferring the SD card over.

--

https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/u1000/

This one is the top of the line from the Thinkware brand. About the same price as the Ford offering but 4K. No smart features, meaning you have to remove the SD card from the camera and put it in a PC to view the footage.

@D2dhanover stated below that the Thinkware does indeed have a cellphone app to view footage on. If so, that would put it in line with the previous two for simplicity unless you went with Blackvue which has the optional cloud based alerts over LTE.

I've been doing tons of research as I'm putting together a custom security system using dash cams to replicate the Tesla Sentry mode, since I can't seem to find an off the shelf solution. These are the top 3 cameras on the market as far as quality of video and feature list.

Last edited:

NeoS281

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For that price, you can go with the nicest units on the market. Something like the Blackvue 900 series, which is 4K and with optional cloud view capability.

Both of these cameras will allow you to view your footage directly on your cellphone or tablet without transferring the SD card over.
Nice writeup! Is there a reason you went with Nextbase over Blackvue? I am leaning towards the latter. Just need to find an installer.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice writeup! Is there a reason you went with Nextbase over Blackvue? I am leaning towards the latter. Just need to find an installer.
The best feature of the Blackvue line is its cloud based software that allows remote alerts. I love that concept and am dying to find an alternative solution that works with Verizon.. as Blackvue really only works with AT&T prepaid or T-Mobile, and I'm hesitant to open a second cell phone account.

Other than that, it came down to cost. Since the cloud features were out, I compared the rest of the specs and they are VERY similar. However, to get a 3 camera system (front, rear and cabin), I need to buy 2 different cameras with one having the cabin camera attached. Doing so with Blackvue was about $100 more expensive. If you add in the LTE modem, its another $150.

Instead, I have a dorky but ingenious plan. I will use a spare phone I have laying around that already has unlimited data and use it as an always on hotspot and then put a tiny battery powered wifi camera (Blink or Wyze branded, for example) above the upfitter switches. This will allow me to have a low resolution camera to remote alert me if there is movement in the vehicle and allow me to remote in to see what's going on while still having the high res video from the interior cam for evidence.

I can't find a single prepackaged solution that does exactly what I want, so I'm creating it. Phoenix is going to hell like every other big city and it was quite stressful to leave the Bronco in public parking, especially after the other forum member had a team of homeless guys try to scrap his truck in a parking garage.

The dashcam setup is a must IMO. The Bronco attracts a LOT of attention, not all of it good. I have a lot of weirdos trying to race etc. Chances of damage I feel are higher than your average car.

Oh - one other point in favor of the Nextbase 622GW I went with as the front camera - Image stabilization. This is going to be my action cam to record trail runs with as well, and this camera does the best job over rough terrain.

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never had issues viewing/downloading videos using my phones and tablet. You connect to the dashcam via WiFi and can view and download videos from the app.
Thats good to know. I'll adjust my comment. I was basing that off the reviews as Its the only one of the three I have not played with personally.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Blackview 650GW (I think that's the model), which is a few years old. That being said, the clarity is awesome on it, and I have moved it around from multiple vehicles since originally purchasing it.

Although that model isn't available anymore, the newer ones are surely just as good and likely better. They aren't cheap, but worth it (IMO). It had all the features I wanted, and downloading video to my phone is very easy.

Mine isn't hardwired in - It's currently in my Trailhawk, and it's plugged into a 12v plug, which turns on and off with the vehicle (all wires are concealed too). To have the cloud feature and to view when you're not in your vehicle, you'd need to pay for that, and I wasn't looking for that myself.

Highly recommend Blackvue though.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would love to find a solution that would allow for bulk storage, rather than just dealing with changing out SD cards. I have done a couple of long trips where I have tried to capture everything (Alcan 5000 Winter, Baja XL). You never know when there will be something interesting crossing your path so need to have it on full time for review later, etc. Depending on video resolution set up, you can get ~20 hours or so on a typical card. These trips are LONG days, with sometimes 16+ of driving so I plan for 1 card a day. Trying to download via an app doesn't work as the transfers are slow. Cloud storage doesn't work as there is usually no internet service in these areas.

On the Alcan which was 10 days, I took the card out each night and copied it to my laptop and an external drive. Still was slow and cumbersome (especially after a long day). Ended up filling up over 1Tb of storage (think I did have it a 1080p, changed that later to 720p). On the Baja XL, also 10 days I had enough cards to change out everyday, but you forget and parts get overwritten, and just dealing with the little cards and making sure which ones are used, etc is cumbersome.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Blackview 650GW (I think that's the model), which is a few years old. That being said, the clarity is awesome on it, and I have moved it around from multiple vehicles since originally purchasing it.

Although that model isn't available anymore, the newer ones are surely just as good and likely better. They aren't cheap, but worth it (IMO). It had all the features I wanted, and downloading video to my phone is very easy.

Mine isn't hardwired in - It's currently in my Trailhawk, and it's plugged into a 12v plug, which turns on and off with the vehicle (all wires are concealed too). To have the cloud feature and to view when you're not in your vehicle, you'd need to pay for that, and I wasn't looking for that myself.

Highly recommend Blackvue though.
I may still end up with Blackvue. I really liked the looks of it as well. Very sleek, where the Nextbase model looks like a small point and shoot camera from 2006.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would love to find a solution that would allow for bulk storage, rather than just dealing with changing out SD cards. I have done a couple of long trips where I have tried to capture everything (Alcan 5000 Winter, Baja XL). You never know when there will be something interesting crossing your path so need to have it on full time for review later, etc. Depending on video resolution set up, you can get ~20 hours or so on a typical card. These trips are LONG days, with sometimes 16+ of driving so I plan for 1 card a day. Trying to download via an app doesn't work as the transfers are slow. Cloud storage doesn't work as there is usually no internet service in these areas.

On the Alcan which was 10 days, I took the card out each night and copied it to my laptop and an external drive. Still was slow and cumbersome (especially after a long day). Ended up filling up over 1Tb of storage (think I did have it a 1080p, changed that later to 720p). On the Baja XL, also 10 days I had enough cards to change out everyday, but you forget and parts get overwritten, and just dealing with the little cards and making sure which ones are used, etc is cumbersome.

I use an iPad Pro for mapping when running off-road, so my plan was to use it to dump the video into the cloud as needed to reuse the SD cards. Not ideal if you are doing serious runs like that 10 day you are talking about. I can't believe how rudimentary the existing solutions are for this.. As cutting edge as the rest of the tech out there is, I can't believe car camera systems are still stuck in 2015 software wise.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thinkware is a great brand for dash cams. I have no experience with the Ford branded camera though.

--

This one is the top of the line from the Thinkware brand. About the same price as the Ford offering but 4K. No smart features, meaning you have to remove the SD card from the camera and put it in a PC to view the footage.

@D2dhanover stated below that the Thinkware does indeed have a cellphone app to view footage on. If so, that would put it in line with the previous two for simplicity unless you went with Blackvue which has the optional cloud based alerts over LTE.

I've been doing tons of research as I'm putting together a custom security system using dash cams to replicate the Tesla Sentry mode, since I can't seem to find an off the shelf solution. These are the top 3 cameras on the market as far as quality of video and feature list.
Pretty new to dash cams, why not go with the 3Ch option from Blackvue instead of piecing together the system? https://blackvue.com/product/dr750x-3ch-plus/

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I have a large Android tablet that I use for mapping (will continue to use if/when my Bronco shows up in addition to the 12" screen) but it's not conducive to downloading and storing camera footage.

Wonder if an Action Camera like a GoPro or one of the others would allow saving directly to a mass storage device?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty new to dash cams, why not go with the 3Ch option from Blackvue instead of piecing together the system? https://blackvue.com/product/dr750x-3ch-plus/
I looked at that. The issue is its only 1080p (compared to 4K), it doesnt work with my cell company, and for that price I can get 4K up front and 1440p rear facing. Its a great solution for fleet trucks, but I just couldn't make it work for my purposes.

Once they have a 3 channel with 4K, it'll do 99% of what I need.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The site won't load for me.
I recently installed a Thinkware F200 Pro in my Flex (front/rear). $220 + sd card.

I was debating between the Thinkware, Blackvue 590X, and A129 Plus. All are midrange 1080p 2-channel class. The A129 might be 1440p.

A discrete installation was critical for me, and the A129's form factor was a big issue -- especially as the Flex has a rain sensor next to the mirror. Mounting position, lens position, where the cables connect.... all important.

Blackvue is highly regarded but the reviews are mixed. They really like to nickel-and-dime features and their hardwire kit has bad reviews. Because I'm already mounting on the right side of my mirror, the mounting/lens position means the camera will point at the right headlight.

The Thinkware mounts center and has a left lens, which is good. The adjustable mounting bracket looks cheap and makes the camera stick too low when placed under my rain sensor, so I 3d printed a mounting bracket that sits flusher.

---

Hardwiring was easy because the Flex's sunroof control has power/acc/ground nearby.
The software works decently enough but my adblocker messes with the ability to connect to wifi. Annoyingly, if there's a firmware update it'll try to use your 4G data to download it. You have to use a laptop to download firmware if you don't have unlimited data.

---

Image quality is good. I'm a little surprised that despite both cameras being 1080p and same bitrates, the rear camera is noticeably less defined.

NSFW language but exported this video shortly after installation:

Last edited:

BRKOBILLY2

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

--

I am not a alarm pro but really wanted to up the protection. I was going to talk to a car/ audio place about this: https://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/508d/invisibeam-field-disturbance-sensor

Had you seen?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not a alarm pro but really wanted to up the protection. I was going to talk to a car/ audio place about this: https://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/508d/invisibeam-field-disturbance-sensor

Had you seen?
I'm waiting on a callback for info on Viper products. Its hard to find good aftermarket systems that won't require a second FOB. I have GPS tracking built in from another device but I would love a good bump sensor that would page my phone instead of waking up the neighborhood.

I haven't researched this device but am doing so now.
Sponsored