Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The instructions refer to a test light that they use for calibration. Doesn't look like this is included in the kit, anyone know what it might be?

Thanks
Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does that unit not have a direct control slider so you can engage the trailer brakes manually without having to engage the vehicle brakes too?
No: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Br...ronco/2021/RED44FR.html?VehicleID=20216004500

(This link is for a controller for a vehicle with no factory tow package. Not for those afraid to run wires.)
Yes and no.

It doesn't have the usual proportinate slide button. But you can push the knob to manually activate the brakes. It will only apply the brakes with the braking power you've set. You can't apply a little or a lot like other controllers.

Last edited:

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any calculus yet on Ford’s markup $ on the RedArc?

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes and no.

It doesn't have the usual proportinate slide button. But you can push the knob to manually activate the brakes. It will only apply the brakes with the braking power you've set. You can apply a little or a lot like other controllers.
Nice deal. I'll be retrofitting this a few years from now. Right now I only tow trailers without brakes so am going with @flip's solution when I finally get my truck. I dropped the tow package because I could really use this vehicle sooner than later with my '05 Xterra having over 220k miles.

Sponsored

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's an interesting place to put the brake controller knob... I like it.

1628455479383.png
You need to be able to access the button/control knob while driving. You push in the bottom and that will apply the trailer brake and stop sway.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will be getting one thinking about having the dealership install. You need to add it to the BCM to make the additive cruse work the trailer brake.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You need to be able to access the button/control knob while driving. You push in the bottom and that will apply the trailer brake and stop sway.
I get that, I was just thinking that they'd put it in a more normal spot. Like on the dash on either side of the steering column.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The redarc tow pro elite was a 15min install in my wife’s grand cherokee. Towing an offroad trailer both on highway and serious rocky trails on mountain shelf roads, I can say the redarc is much better than my factory f150 brake controller.

1EEEA765-CB22-4DDD-86DE-D804E13C2BC0.jpeg

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What does this do exactly? I got the towing package, should I order one of these?
The vast majority of boat trailers, along with many other trailers use surge brakes and a trailer brake controller isn’t needed or used. My boat and trailer weighs over 6,000#, while I have a friend with a boat and trailer that weighs over 7000# and both trailers use surge brakes.

I’m not 100% certain but I believe most travel trailers use electric brakes.

Many small utility trailers have no brakes.

A trailer brake controller is only needed when a towed trailer has electric brakes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The vast majority of boat trailers, along with many other trailers use surge brakes and a trailer brake controller isn’t needed or used. My boat and trailer weighs over 6,000#, while I have a friend with a boat and trailer that weighs over 7000# and both trailers use surge brakes.

I’m not 100% certain but I believe most travel trailers use electric brakes.

Many small utility trailers have no brakes.

A trailer brake controller is only needed when a towed trailer has electric brakes.
I agree with almost all of this - just remember some heavy boat trailers have (or should have) electric over hydraulic brakes. So that's the same actual hydraulic brakes as surge brakes, but they're actuated by an electric controller for better control than the surge actuator.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with almost all of this - just remember some heavy boat trailers have (or should have) electric over hydraulic brakes. So that's the same actual hydraulic brakes as surge brakes, but they're actuated by an electric controller for better control than the surge actuator.
Totally true. That said no one is going to be pulling a boat heavy enough to require this type of boat trailer braking system with a Bronco.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Totally true. That said no one is going to be pulling a boat heavy enough to require this type of boat trailer braking system with a Bronco.
Also totally true.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So...... Why did FoMoCo add this feature/option to the Bronco if the Max Tow is to be set at a point where "most" trailers that are within the tow limits don't have electric brakes??????

Asking for a friend who tends to stir the pot...... ;)

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Ford Accessories trailer brake controller arrived Friday. Here are pics of the unboxing. Looks like an easy plug and play installation. Interesting note, the label on the box states "Majority content made in USA" - but the controller module is made in Australia and the wiring harnesses are made in Taiwan.
Great "before" pics.! Please post the "during" and "after" install pics.! :)
Sponsored