Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Analyst says Ford needs to 'rip the Band-Aid off' after $2B loss: What he means

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-2020-worst-since-great-recession/3045688001/
Not sure about timeline, but is there optimism about the Bronco Brand?

"Jim Farley, chief operating officer, said, "I know we'll come out of this a lot stronger. We need to be agile and have a bias toward action...."

[Bias Towards Action is a business model - Taking risks means not pulling back]
ie: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/ins...vement/prioritize-action-over-discussion.html
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not sure about timeline, but is there optimism about the Bronco Brand?

"Jim Farley, chief operating officer, said, "I know we'll come out of this a lot stronger. We need to be agile and have a bias toward action...."

[Bias Towards Action is a business model - Taking risks means not pulling back]
ie: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/ins...vement/prioritize-action-over-discussion.html
For those of us who have actually been through multiple business change management strategies in the corporate world, or "change management of the year plans", here is how I interpret yet another large corporation, saying "we need to change" with the "agile" and "bias toward action" goals.

Both of these aspirational goals are pushed at most medium to large businesses as all large companies suffer from the 80/20 syndrome, 20% are the doer's and 80% are the "it's not my job'ers". So the business consultants of the year sell more training programs to show people how to become more "agile" and develop a "bias toward action".

Further, medium to large company cultures have an aversion to risk, many that take risks get beat down, they are told "that is not the way we do things", others, yes they get ahead and help the company, so long as they are not the ones that "throw others under the bus" to advance their careers. But then again, more business consultants sell more training programs, in this case, "Risk Management". I lost count of how many training programs like the above the companies I worked for sent me to over the years. Sure, "agile" and develop a "bias toward action" is a good thing, but it is like turning or stoping an ocean going tanker, it takes miles and it is a slow process.

Now if you want to implement that change management in a union environment, good luck. I started my career as a union technician, as I got promotions and eventually got my degree I saw first hand how the union did not like people would stood out and did better then their peers. This caused the union to look bad as the average union worker was only expected to achieve the average number of widgets per day. Once I was out the union and on the Engineering staff, I had to watch out if I needed to carry something across campus, that was a union job, so we used fast food bags instead.

Last edited:

Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II
Very interesting article, some highlights:

"their finances are teetering on the brink of uncertainty"
(a euphemism for... "their finances are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy")

Stone said, noting that the company is cutting marketing, advertising, deferring costs and working to shore up spending wherever possible
(meaning slashing the Bronco budget)

about consolidation or a merger in light of the intense demands for cash and liquidity over the next year or two – possibly with Volkswagen.
(yup, the Bronco Baja is coming soon, no more Raptor)

We don’t think they can necessarily do what some of their Detroit brethren have done in Europe in terms of a full exit so quickly.
(European regulations are tough to get out of.)

'Are we a global automaker anymore?' I know that might be a tough pill to swallow when you’re from Ford. ... But you’ve just got to rip the Band-Aid off."

Jim Farley, chief operating officer, said, "I know we'll come out of this a lot stronger. We need to be agile and have a bias toward action and be very transparent."
(Executive double-speak to convince the Wall Streeters they have it under control, even if they don't.)

No Rivian deal
: Also Tuesday, Ford and Rivian put their plans on ice indefinitely to jointly develop a Lincoln-branded electric vehicle. The current economy has created new and unexpected challenges, so this particular project is "eliminated,"

Ford has the Ford F-150, Bronco and Mustang Mach-E planned. The company has declined to reveal how launches have been impacted though media briefings have been postponed indefinitely.

Garrett Nelson, senior equity analyst at CFRA Research, downgraded Ford shares to a "sell" from a "hold" recommendation

So in summary, my opinion, take it for what it is worth:

So the results are the Bronco will be a 2022 introduction with no frills, few options, any color you want, so long as its black., Maybe only one or two packages, unless you count the VW Baja model?

Or, will this be a to big to fail product, going after Jeep sales, so they have to make it work?

Take either option for a roadmap, or somewhere in between, or do they cancel the Bronco all together??? and what do they do with the bronco Sport???
It's funny to watch a skewed analysis of a ridiculous article unfurl. Of course the equity analysts report excitatory garbage to sway markets. This way, they can make billions out of nothing at the cost of sheep. I don't know much, if anything, but I have noticed that stock has little to do with the actual state of a company and quality of product. The relation between historical revenue progressions and market cap make the illusion all too obvious. I love to watch how "futures" bounce around. Here's one future you can count on: Ford is going nowhere, the Bronco is coming strong, and too many people are full of shit.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This way, they can make billions out of nothing at the cost of sheep. I don't know much, if anything, but I have noticed that stock has little to do with the actual state of a company and quality of product.
You are correct about one thing "It's funny to watch a skewed analysis"

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of us who have actually been through multiple business change management strategies in the corporate world, or "change management of the year plans", here is how I interpret yet another large corporation, saying "we need to change" with the "agile" and "bias toward action" goals.

Both of these aspirational goals are pushed at most medium to large businesses as all large companies suffer from the 80/20 syndrome, 20% are the doer's and 80% are the "it's not my job'ers". So the business consultants of the year sell more training programs to show people how to become more "agile" and develop a "bias toward action".

Further, medium to large company cultures have an aversion to risk, many that take risks get beat down, they are told "that is not the way we do things", others, yes they get ahead and help the company, so long as they are not the ones that "throw others under the bus" to advance their careers. But then again, more business consultants sell more training programs, in this case, "Risk Management". I lost count of how many training programs like the above the companies I worked for sent me to over the years. Sure, "agile" and develop a "bias toward action" is a good thing, but it is like turning or stoping an ocean going tanker, it takes miles and it is a slow process.

Now if you want to implement that change management in a union environment, good luck. I started my career as a union technician, as I got promotions and eventually got my degree I saw first hand how the union did not like people would stood out and did better then their peers. This caused the union to look bad as the average union worker was only expected to achieve the average number of widgets per day. Once I was out the union and on the Engineering staff, I had to watch out if I needed to carry something across campus, that was a union job, so we used fast food bags instead.
I hear ya. Don't remember who said it but "Without a transition, a change is just a rearrangement of the furniture". The question here might be if we are in a legit transitional moment prompted by our current events. At least it may be that Ford is taking that position. I don't believe a COO can use those words without acceptance from the Board. It would take time for sure but this could be the beginning. Maybe online sales will creep in sooner with different options for type of interaction with sales personnel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking at the q1 sales. Almost every single vehicle (Edge, escape, f150, Explorer, Expedition, Ecosport EVEN FUSION) was up 8-20% February 19 vs February 20. FoMoCo was up 16.7% as a whole! meaning before this covid19 hit. For was going STRONG!

I imagine nothing major changed in the planning of the company. More of the experimental side gets cut. (IE EVs and Self driving) which both have been announced will see major cuts.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm a little surprised they cut the Rivian Lincoln and will build their own instead. I would have thought they'd just push it back a few years.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking at the q1 sales. Almost every single vehicle (Edge, escape, f150, Explorer, Expedition, Ecosport EVEN FUSION) was up 8-20% February 19 vs February 20. FoMoCo was up 16.7% as a whole! meaning before this covid19 hit. For was going STRONG!

I imagine nothing major changed in the planning of the company. More of the experimental side gets cut. (IE EVs and Self driving) which both have been announced will see major cuts.
Yeah, Ford finally had Escape and Explorer up and running (the vehicles they replaced were long in the tooth), and right before they were about to launch additional critical new product, so this came at a sucky time (not that there ever would be a "good" time for it.

I'm a little surprised they cut the Rivian Lincoln and will build their own instead. I would have thought they'd just push it back a few years.
Well, the "self"-built Lincoln BEVs (midsize) were already in development. The Rivian-based (full size) model was in addition to those other ones.

My guess is it's a combination of things:

1) Rivian's own delay of SOP (start of production) for their R1 T and R1 S likely meant Lincoln's product would be pushed back further.
2) Ford is preserving cash right now
3) With the other 2nd gen Mach E-derived BEV models already in development, they felt they could hold this other one right now

I personally think they did this as a temporary measure, as they said they're still working with Rivian. They're preserving the cash right now, and as Rivian gets sorted out, and Ford has a little more cash laying around, I'd guess they'll put it back online. It's easier for them to say "canceled" right now because 1) they don't have to give a "back online" date (and therefore a production timeline), and 2) in case their in house products can grow larger and take this space.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
uaw says work conditions are not safe at all. They said mid May is toooo sooon and any rumor of production starting soon is flat wrong.

but current uaw employees are making more in unemployment right Now.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

uaw says work conditions are not safe at all. They said mid May is toooo sooon and any rumor of production starting soon is flat wrong.

but current uaw employees are making more in unemployment right Now.
Mid may is too soon, they said. make more in unemployment they said.