Sponsored

Ford Warranty - 3 year stock vs 7 year extended?

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@nic_papagiorgio
Folks in Florida can ONLY buy extended warranties from a dealer in Florida and cannot buy one “online” or out of state and therefore we pay more. It is State Law. We can’t participate in the flood or Granger program. You can thank Florida politicians for that.
Well the insurance provider needs to be licensed to sell insurance in Florida.

" A motor vehicle service agreement company must have a license to sell this product in Florida, pursuant to Section 634.031, "

If the online insurance company got a license to sell in Florida, then it could do so. So if one could check to see if it has that, than it should still be a go.
Sponsored

Irish Pete

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@nic_papagiorgio I see you’re in LA… care to share who you’re dealer was ?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is always a fair argument for springing for the so called peace of mind. It definitely works for someone. On the other side of the coin is if everyone who bought one used them then the insurance companies would go out of business. Folks love to sell them. They are a super profitable product. They also tend to be very restrictive and may require the vehicle owner to perform extra maintenance and produce supporting documentation thereby negating any coverage benefits.
The other question is why who anybody buy a vehicle that they think is going to be a train wreck?
To each his own…
We all have different risk tolerances, but we all have insurance of some type, and all insurance companies exist to make a profit. I'm sure your car insurance/homeowners company is making a nice profit from your insurance premiums. So is your health insurance company, whether you see the costs or your employer absorbs the them and pays you less because of it.

We each take risks that we see as acceptable. I don't have life insurance and carry a $35,000 deductible on my homeowners' policy. I did buy a warranty on my Bronco, and the only other car warranty I've purchased in my life saved me money as I had a couple of expensive repairs.

Last edited:

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah, you got hosed. I paid 1200 for 7 yr 84k (saved some cash because I don’t put miles on quickly so didnt need quite as high mileage. Ill hit 7 years first…) bumper to bumper, 50$ deductible. I used the Flood Ford warranty as a bargaining chip and got them down A LOT.

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well the insurance provider needs to be licensed to sell insurance in Florida.

" A motor vehicle service agreement company must have a license to sell this product in Florida, pursuant to Section 634.031, "

If the online insurance company got a license to sell in Florida, then it could do so. So if one could check to see if it has that, than it should still be a go.
I think the catch is, an extended warranty is only considered insurance in the state of FL. Therefore the company selling it ie a auto dealer outside of FL isn’t going to register as an insurance company so they can sell to Floridians. If you read the offer from Granger it even clearly states it’s not available in FL.

Sponsored

Erick2123

Badlands
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Acura TLX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

8 year 100k miles $100 deductible, right around $1,670 with Granger.
how do you set it up with granger? I've heard several people talk about it but unsure on the process.

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
how do you set it up with granger? I've heard several people talk about it but unsure on the process.
You might try Zeigler or Flood. Both have been offering the same Ford product for a lot of years online. So easy to buy it. Granger is new to the market on this piece and offering the same great product at about the same price but it does require a call to Granger to get it done.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

OP
OP
nic_papagiorgio

nic_papagiorgio

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi e-tron
Your Bronco Model
Base
@nic_papagiorgio I see you’re in LA… care to share who you’re dealer was ?
Sunrise in Noho. do NOT recommend. the bastards didn't uncharge me with a "market adjustment" line item like other dealers in the area (Galpin is uncharging every Bronco by $25k i shit you not). however, they did install like 4 things i never asked for including friggin lo-jack. it all added up to be about $2800 worth of stuff i never asked for and they never told me about until i went to pick it up and sign the papers. i decided it was a dick move but i wanted the truck and figured i could make that back in time if i were to resell.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We all have different risk tolerances, but we all have insurance of some type, and all insurance companies exist to make a profit. I'm sure your car insurance/homeowners company is making a nice profit from your insurance premiums. So is your health insurance company, whether you see the costs or your employer absorbs the them and pays you less because of it.

We each take risks that we see as acceptable. I don't have life insurance and carry a $35,000 deductible on my homeowners' policy. I did buy a warranty on my Bronco, and the only other car warranty I've purchased in my life saved me money as I had a couple of expensive repairs.
I really only insure myself for catastrophic losses.
Like auto liability that’s mandatory, high deductible health and homeowners.
Any extended vehicle warranty doesn’t qualify. People don’t NORMALLY recoup on these.
Like I said to each his own…🙂

Irish Pete

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sunrise in Noho. do NOT recommend. the bastards didn't uncharge me with a "market adjustment" line item like other dealers in the area (Galpin is uncharging every Bronco by $25k i shit you not). however, they did install like 4 things i never asked for including friggin lo-jack. it all added up to be about $2800 worth of stuff i never asked for and they never told me about until i went to pick it up and sign the papers. i decided it was a dick move but i wanted the truck and figured i could make that back in time if i were to resell.
Man, sorry to hear that… i hear galpin are big on the add-ons too

Sponsored

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep, you got hosed. I hear both sides… I ended up buying one for peace of mind and the fact that it was cheap. I’ll have to check but I believe mine was under 3k for a 10 year 180k miles or something like that. Seems cheap to me but I understand actuaries set the price based off a simple equation of cost of major repair times likely hood of said event plus the deductible. Well, that number for my plan is likely under a thousand dollars. But I understand they need to make money, I can’t expect to buy insurance for free, just like any other insurance. However I don’t like to get hosed either. Some of these 3rd parties are extremely shady so do your research on who you go with. I plan on keeping mine for a long time and I do expect problems considering what has been happening for with the first runs. Also, consider the costs of goods increasing. They count on people people selling the vehicle before they actually use them. That is why they start them day one when you have a factory warranty for 3 years. If you cancel after 3 years because you sell your car, they will prorate but you just paid for double coverage… sneaky little trick. Key is if you buy extended plans make sure you hold on to your vehicle to use it. Or make sure you get money out of it when you sell it. You can wait to buy one toward the end of your warranty but the rate will be higher because they lost out on the double up factor. Hope this helps

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
I purchased my Bronco from their sister store in Fontana and they pulled the same thing. “No markup” but explained it was mandatory to purchase LoJack, VTP (Alarm), Etch and door edge guards if I wanted the Bronco I ordered. My girlfriend and I told them that is not how we ordered the vehicle so we did not want those options. Our salesman and our finance manager told us to take it or leave it numerous times. My girlfriend explained to our salesman that her attorney (quick google search) informed her “it is illegal in the state of California for a dealership to force a customer to purchase any alarm or such device without your consent or based on the understanding it is not optional, and we may have a claim for fraud under California’s consumer protection statutes like the Consumer Legal Remedies Act or The Unfair Competition Law.” Our salesman told us if she said that to a manager they would ask us to leave. The entire experience with Sunrise was them constantly trying to get us to give up and not buy our ordered Bronco so they could front line it with a markup. We gave in and purchased their add ons simply to buy our Bronco.

After purchasing the Bronco I did my best to find value in the add ons. the door edge guards were $199 which isn’t bad compared to the ones we paid for on an F-150 and 4Runner we purchased recently. Etch was $395 and I found out it can be canceled/refunded through the company Portfolio Etch. I actually like the idea of LoJack and being able to track your vehicle via app but after reading the details the max coverage is $10,000 and expires after 3 years, at $1,295 that’s $36 a month! Total rip off compared to throwing a Tile or AirTag in the truck somewhere hidden for 35 bucks. And what’s the point of VTP for $595 if you bought LoJack??

Well my girlfriend had other plans. She submitted a claim with information about our dealer experience to the attorney general’s office, the BBB and left a one star review to boot. She filed those claims the night we purchased the vehicle and first thing Monday morning I had a message from the Operations Director at Sunrise Ford stating he received our claim from the BBB and had a resolution to discuss at my earliest convenience. I called him back and he said they put our loan on hold with the bank and had drafted a new contract that did not include LoJack and VTP. I was shocked it actually worked and went in that afternoon for them to remove the LoJack and sign the new paperwork. The process when I returned the second time was smooth as butter, no bullshit the way it should have been from the get go.

Long story short, if you do not want the add ons then file a BBB claim immediately, apparently that’s all they cared about since they didn’t even mention the AG’s claim or the 1 star Yelp review. Contact Portfolio Etch and have them cancel/reimburse the sale. And don’t feel so bad about the door edge guards they got me too but they look good and offer protection even though they cost a whole $3.50 to produce. Good luck man!

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really only insure myself for catastrophic losses.
Like auto liability that’s mandatory, high deductible health and homeowners.
Any extended vehicle warranty doesn’t qualify. People don’t NORMALLY recoup on these.
Like I said to each his own…🙂
Just like people don’t normally recoup on homeowners or health insurance, which is what all of us policy holders want. I hope I never use my health or homeowners insurance other than my annual physical and dental cleanings. I don’t choose to not buy health, homeowners or other insurance because the company selling it makes money. I did skip health insurance all through my 20’s while working for Best Buy because I felt the $60 per month was too much. That decision was driven by having extra beer money, not whether the insurance company made money on my policy. It paid off, I never needed it.

I did the math on how much this Bronco will cost me over 8 years and it’s about $12,100 per year. It’s likely more than that because I only calculated a 5% opportunity cost for money cost and my wife and I have averaged over 13% return on our investments the last 20 years.

That $12k/year includes tabs, insurance, maintenance, money cost, depreciation, tires, fuel, etc. Just fuel, insurance/tabs, fluid changes, and tires/brakes cost $5,600/year so paying an extra $310 per year for a service contract after the 36,000 mile warranty runs out is peanuts compared to the overall monthly running costs. Fuel prices dropping back down to $3.00 gallon would save me $866 per year. I hope I don’t need it, but the two first year release vehicles we’ve owned in the past cost us a lot more than $1,650 in repairs over their first 100,000 miles.

Full disclosure: this is only the 2nd car warranty I’ve purchased in my life. I wish I would have had one on our 2008 Buick Enclave, lol. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nic_papagiorgio

nic_papagiorgio

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi e-tron
Your Bronco Model
Base
I purchased my Bronco from their sister store in Fontana and they pulled the same thing. “No markup” but explained it was mandatory to purchase LoJack, VTP (Alarm), Etch and door edge guards if I wanted the Bronco I ordered. My girlfriend and I told them that is not how we ordered the vehicle so we did not want those options. Our salesman and our finance manager told us to take it or leave it numerous times. My girlfriend explained to our salesman that her attorney (quick google search) informed her “it is illegal in the state of California for a dealership to force a customer to purchase any alarm or such device without your consent or based on the understanding it is not optional, and we may have a claim for fraud under California’s consumer protection statutes like the Consumer Legal Remedies Act or The Unfair Competition Law.” Our salesman told us if she said that to a manager they would ask us to leave. The entire experience with Sunrise was them constantly trying to get us to give up and not buy our ordered Bronco so they could front line it with a markup. We gave in and purchased their add ons simply to buy our Bronco.

After purchasing the Bronco I did my best to find value in the add ons. the door edge guards were $199 which isn’t bad compared to the ones we paid for on an F-150 and 4Runner we purchased recently. Etch was $395 and I found out it can be canceled/refunded through the company Portfolio Etch. I actually like the idea of LoJack and being able to track your vehicle via app but after reading the details the max coverage is $10,000 and expires after 3 years, at $1,295 that’s $36 a month! Total rip off compared to throwing a Tile or AirTag in the truck somewhere hidden for 35 bucks. And what’s the point of VTP for $595 if you bought LoJack??

Well my girlfriend had other plans. She submitted a claim with information about our dealer experience to the attorney general’s office, the BBB and left a one star review to boot. She filed those claims the night we purchased the vehicle and first thing Monday morning I had a message from the Operations Director at Sunrise Ford stating he received our claim from the BBB and had a resolution to discuss at my earliest convenience. I called him back and he said they put our loan on hold with the bank and had drafted a new contract that did not include LoJack and VTP. I was shocked it actually worked and went in that afternoon for them to remove the LoJack and sign the new paperwork. The process when I returned the second time was smooth as butter, no bullshit the way it should have been from the get go.

Long story short, if you do not want the add ons then file a BBB claim immediately, apparently that’s all they cared about since they didn’t even mention the AG’s claim or the 1 star Yelp review. Contact Portfolio Etch and have them cancel/reimburse the sale. And don’t feel so bad about the door edge guards they got me too but they look good and offer protection even though they cost a whole $3.50 to produce. Good luck man!
Wow. Incredible. I’m going to do the same today. Thank you!!
Sponsored