North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Bad news gets released on Fridays, really bad news gets released on weekends. However, depending on your point of view, such as ICE Mountain, you may see this as good news.

Article link: Ford will ship and sell vehicles without chips controlling non-safety critical features

Ford executives told dealers the company would provide the missing parts for dealers to install within one year.
Vehicles will be Drivable and Sellable

Most recently, what appeared to be hundreds if not thousands of Broncos were piling up in Michigan. Ford said the backlog was chip-related.

This information came of the National Auto Dealers Association Show in Las Vegas on Saturday, where Ford executives, including Andrew Frick, general manager for sales, distribution and trucks for Ford Blue spoke during a meeting of the company’s franchised dealers. The source of the information is Automotive News, one of the automotive industries leading news sources, not "my dealer said".

I've been advised that due to Automotive News being a pay-wall publication we are not allowed to repost their articles in its entirety so I've summarized the main points above. I discovered the article through this Google News link where it was not blocked.

Two other news websites have picked up the article now as well.

The Ford Broncos Piling Up at Ice Mountain Will Get to Customers, But There's a Catch

Report: Ford to sell cars without some non-safety related chips, install them later

UPDATE 3-17-2022
After this thread was published, I've heard more information from one of my dealer sources on this new 2022 short-ship program.

Last year's short-ship program was canceled in part due to union demands as the UAW wanted to run the Bronco's back through the production line just to install a couple of modules instead of letting the dealers install them. Now however, due to the economic realities of the supply chain issues, Ford has revised last year's plan to ship vehicles without some modules to dealers, if they choose to sign-up for the program. As others have mentioned, last year's plan was for the dealers to store and care for the Bronco's, until the modules arrived.

The new plan, based on what dealers learned through the sign-up process and what the Ford executives told the Ford dealers at last weekend's Las Vegas NADA show, is that the "Vehicles would be Drivable and Sellable".

However, the realities seem to be a little more nuanced, with details still being worked out. It may be better to say, some "Vehicles would be Drivable" and other "Vehicles would be Sellable" depending on the missing modules. Those that are not immediately sellable would be stored and cared for by the dealers until the missing modules arrive and the dealers install them.

Again, this will not apply to all dealers as they specifically have to sign-up for the program. Don't pin a lot of hope on hearing more from your dealer, as much as we Ford consumers are complaining about Ford's lack of communication, the dealers don't have it any better. Ford has been tight lipped about most things with them as well, leaving the dealers in the dark.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How about analog gauges and mechanical parking brakes? That’s gotta save some chips. A lot of this “safety stuff” is not needed either. It’s just there to dumb down the driving experience and appease insurance companies and bored bureaucrats.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If, you have a Bronco sitting in a Michigan parking lot…..I don’t see how this could be bad news. I mean, it’s bad news that they don’t have required parts or chips, but we already knew this. I would imagine just about anyone would rather have their Bronco in their driveway or garage waiting on an auto start/stop chip or heated seat chip vs not getting built at all or sitting at Ice/dirt mountain.
This is great news and can’t for the life of me understand why this hasn’t already happened. It’s what some of us have been clambering about for months.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Send it without auto start/stop thanks!

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can order F150s without start/stop and actually get $50 credit for removing it

And if you chose to remove the start/stop, you get a blank button and also your window sticker will reflect a lower MPG.

Send it without auto start/stop thanks!

Last edited:

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I could see this getting ugly as the selling dealer may not be same as the servicing dealer.
It's going to take coordination to get the parts to right dealers.
Dealers that didn't sell the vehicle may not want to do the service.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
100% agree BUT bronco6g likes to complain and go against the grain at every opportunity. If Ford holds vehicles for chips then bronco6g gets angry and if they release them while waiting for chips then bronco6g still gets angry. No matter what Ford can’t win

If, you have a Bronco sitting in a Michigan parking lot…..I don’t see how this could be bad news. I mean, it’s bad news that they don’t have required parts or chips, but we already knew this. I would imagine just about anyone would rather have their Bronco in their driveway or garage waiting on an auto start/stop chip or heated seat chip vs not getting built at all or sitting at Ice/dirt mountain.
This is great news and can’t for the life of me understand why this hasn’t already happened. It’s what some of us have been clambering about for months.

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting article thanks. . Couldn’t see it all but the one year doesn’t matter that much to me. It means you go without a seat heater or auto stop for a while. But you have your vehicle. The one year is probably a worse case. Would love it if they would do this for ice mountain/ chip hold. Like now.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Send it! I'll gladly accept my Bronco in this condition. Put it all down on the due bill, get me my Bronco, see ya when the part arrives. Could Ford have actually taken to doing the right thing, IMO, here? Let's hope!!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: