First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hear you, I do and I understand your reply. However we’re making assumptions here as we don’t know what shortcuts Ford is considering and the long term impacts on performance & reliability. My warning is directed more at Ford’s lack of dedication to the brand and the fact that consumers are paying for an incomplete item. If Ford is delivering partial vehicles then let’s provide them with partial payment, with no additional fees when the missing chips arrive. Also, within a year? That’s an long time boys and girls, with ZERO faith Ford can keep they’re word on time. We’re also assuming that everything will function within necessary requirements. Allowing Ford to further slip down the maybe / sorta / kinda / partial realm of delivered aka final product is concerning and a bad trend for consumers. Bronco is only a small part of Ford’s world. I see this as a bad sign.
If someone wants to opt out and not have their bronco delivered until whatever non-critical chip can be installed at MAP, then by all means they should be allowed to have their vehicle sit at ice mountain for the next year. I am not in that camp. Two months is long enough.
Sponsored

Tippster

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fake News - liability in doing this would cause so much warranty work it would be insane. Imagine the paperwork "We promise to add the chips to complete your vehicle within a year - but you owe full price today"? - no chance - board of directors would fire anyone authorizing this.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No brainer... release the vehicles.
A seat heater is not gonna do anything to fix how cold my wife is... Yeah, i meant that just like you read it....Besides, Spring is around the corner and if I need to heat up her ass, the aftermarket sells seat heaters for $50... Serious, they are reliable too. Been using one on a motorcycle for years with zero issues. I'll wire it to a hero switch.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The idea isn't necessarily bad per se, however...

No way Ford can sell vehicles that don't match the window sticker, but I bet they don't de-content it on there due to the nightmare that issuing even low ball credits world entail* and instead treat it as a warrantee issue, the insanely limiting one year time frame might be what they can legally do as far as making the vehicle whole on a new sale. (just conjecture). The real problem, aside from maybe a radio not working or a navigation system free trial from Sirius expiring before your can use it, is the one year. Ford is promising to have enough modules in a year to both cover repairs, warrantee stuff, and new production capability? No way they can responsibly promise that.

It just isn't going to happen.

The dealer deal as well, they are not equipped to be in the vehicle manufacturing game, there will be epic waits and folks that bought elsewhere than where they brought them for service, which will be rampant with the way allocations are set up and the timeline, will be pushed off for other customers. Ford will set the book payments lower than actual time and dealers will shortcut or just flat out tell people six months or whatever until they go elsewhere.

Decent idea, Ford has proven they won't be able to execute or meet their side of it though. I wonder if they are having cash flow problems?

*People screaming it isn't enough, not wanting to pay when modules come in, lost revenue all the way around for Ford, they will want to minimize their loss.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has been a fun read.

HA, you think It's all fun and games until the entire info-tainment center is bricked!!! LOL

Then everybody will be here, "Ma fuckin' radio don't work!!! Fuck you Ford!"
I forgot what my reply was to this, but pretend it was something witty.

Other OEs have delivering vehicles like this for over a year. They become a campaign (recall) to add the missing features. My company has been shipping cars with one key FOB, or sunroofs for some times…we are slowly making it right by the customers. Everyone needs to just calm down…it is better that they will deliver and then fulfill via the campaign process…it is regulated by NHTSA.
One key fob or a sunroof? I'm always impressed when a sentence can make me feel like I'm on drugs.

I have a friend that just took delivery of a new BMW with missing chips.
It's the chips for the turn signals that are missing, right? I think I've seen him driving around.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

One key fob or a sunroof? I'm always impressed when a sentence can make me feel like I'm on drugs.
Let me enhance your morning buzz... you left out the part where they capitalized 'FOB' as an acronym.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If someone wants to opt out and not have their bronco delivered until whatever non-critical chip can be installed at MAP, then by all means they should be allowed to have their vehicle sit at ice mountain for the next year. I am not in that camp. Two months is long enough.
I'd rather...if you don't want to accept your vehicle then step back in line and let someone else's order get built. I'd be fine with dealers canvasing their orders and confirm if they will accept their vehicle with a list of potential features inactive until your dealer gets x, y, and z modules post-delivery.

Except that approach makes too much sense. Ford won't do that. They will let folks find out when they go and pick the Bronco up. Refuse delivery and the dealer sells it to someone else, and you have now used up your reservation/order.

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be ok with this. Things I can do without for the moment: auto start, heated seats, adaptive cruise. Cruise, in general. Things I wouldn’t want short cut: any safety items, the Sync 4 screen or radio controls, 360 degree camera.

Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The idea isn't necessarily bad per se, however...

No way Ford can sell vehicles that don't match the window sticker, but I bet they don't de-content it on there due to the nightmare that issuing even low ball credits world entail* and instead treat it as a warrantee issue, the insanely limiting one year time frame might be what they can legally do as far as making the vehicle whole on a new sale. (just conjecture). The real problem, aside from maybe a radio not working or a navigation system free trial from Sirius expiring before your can use it, is the one year. Ford is promising to have enough modules in a year to both cover repairs, warrantee stuff, and new production capability? No way they can responsibly promise that.

It just isn't going to happen.

The dealer deal as well, they are not equipped to be in the vehicle manufacturing game, there will be epic waits and folks that bought elsewhere than where they brought them for service, which will be rampant with the way allocations are set up and the timeline, will be pushed off for other customers. Ford will set the book payments lower than actual time and dealers will shortcut or just flat out tell people six months or whatever until they go elsewhere.

Decent idea, Ford has proven they won't be able to execute or meet their side of it though. I wonder if they are having cash flow problems?

*People screaming it isn't enough, not wanting to pay when modules come in, lost revenue all the way around for Ford, they will want to minimize their loss.
GM is doing it now.

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting article thanks. . Couldn’t see it all but the one year doesn’t matter that much to me. It means you go without a seat heater or auto stop for a while. But you have your vehicle. The one year is probably a worse case. Would love it if they would do this for ice mountain/ chip hold. Like now.
IT'S 7 MONTHS TO SEAT HEATER WEATHER ANYHOW...

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How about Ford introducing a new 'Minimalist' Bronco trim line?

This may not be the right time/place/mood to bring this up, but have been thinking about the possibility of a Bronco that excluded as many frills, bells and whistles, and luxuries as possible along with excluding as many chips and complex/expensive/fragile components as possible.

This leaves a wide area to argue what is 'needed' or desired by various individuals but in my opinion all, or a very good representation, of the 4x4 features should be available.

Would be hoping that this model could be provided at a much less expensive price that would be attractive to some/many while also providing a quicker delivery during however long the chip shortages go on.

Just thinking that one of the most desirable locations for a Bronco at some point in the future, after there are a few scratches,, is at the hunting camp,, off on the farm,, or venturing out on rough overlanding or rougher off-road excursions where no one cares about the luxuries or electronics and has perhaps torn them out already... .. .

Acknowledging that opinions will vary. rak2

69-300

Black Diamond
First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hear you, I do and I understand your reply. However we’re making assumptions here as we don’t know what shorFord is considering and the long term impacts on performance & reliability. My warning is directed more at Ford’s lack of dedication to the brand and the fact that consumers are paying for an incomplete item. If Ford is delivering partial vehicles then let’s provide them with partial payment, with no additional fees when the missing chips arrive. Also, within a year? That’s an long time boys and girls, with ZERO faith Ford can keep they’re word on time. We’re also assuming that everything will function within necessary requirements. Allowing Ford to further slip down the maybe / sorta / kinda / partial realm of delivered aka final product is concerning and a bad trend for consumers. Bronco is only a small part of Ford’s world. I see this as a bad sign.
to be fair, it is not all Ford’s blame - every manufacturer is dealing with the same shortages (parts, labor, transport, etc).

there is no conspiracy or hiding of the issues, Mercedes’ is not selling V8s this year (even if you ordered one) GM is not taking orders on some cars, and Ford is also not taking orders in Mavericks. Their business is to sell cars so they must be trying everything within the law allowed. I am not sure how that is lack of dedication. I am sure that checking with NHTSA, lawyers, dealers, etc takes a couple of months at least.

it cannot be perfect, but at least is an attempt. Some will consider seat warmers essential, and some need the vanity lights. A lot will disagree with whatever Ford decides they can do.

If you don’t like the arrangement, you can always wait longer or find alternatives,.
Sponsored