First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Could be as simple as this: Because they can produce the new MIC tops faster than they can blend the "dirt mountain" Broncos into the inspection process without disrupting shipment of Broncos coming off the assembly line. Doesn't do any good to completely clear out dirt mountain first if it means you have to backlog newly assembled Broncos for testing. Given that this is a short term situation, Ford is probably choosing not to disrupt their standard processes too much just to get dirt mountain cleared out immediately.
The dirt mountain Broncos have been inspected already all they’d have to do is drop a new top and ship. What your saying makes 100% sense with not disrupting production. Ford won’t build a new bronco just to store it and pay overtime to fix it.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The new top has been tested. What he is talking about is water testing each vehicle after the top has been replaced to ensure the new top is properly installed. I hope they wash all the DM units before they change the tops. They all have to be covered dirt after sitting for up to two months! Just rubbing on that will cause fine scratches.
Or full of water from leaking tops

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Holy shit, Ford actually exceeded a deadline. I sure hope they got this sorted out because if there are more issues there will be an epic meltdown 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Sponsored

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think he was talking about water tests on the dirt mountain Broncos that might of had rain get in while sitting, imagine all the mildew and odors if so. Remember the big storms from the hurricane that just came through and rained inches in minutes in some places.
No. Once they install the new top they do a water ingress test to make sure the install is water tight.

They had water ingress tests with the 1.0 installs as well. They did not have known leaks sitting…

Krisegon

Outer Banks
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GMC Yukon SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

that's an interesting possibility, but from what I understand calling it "MIC 2.0" is a little misleading. I thought there were some modifications to the existing tooling and changes to processing, but obviously I'm no expert
Yeah...I was perpetuating what others have called it. I imagine MIC 2.0 was probably like MIC v0.74, which was selected by the engineers, and MIC 1.0 was probably like MIC v0.61 and chosen by the bean counters. The engineers were probably like, "ooooh....bad choice, that's going to cost us more in the long run," and the bean counters were like, "you don't know that for certain."

BE5OME1

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 SXT 4x4, 1967 Mustang, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Or full of water from leaking tops
We'll do a water test on the new roof as well," Grueber said.

Shouldn't that had been part of the inspection prior to promising the tops are ready?

Sponsored

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...rd-bronco-hardtops-ready-shipping/5754266001/

Ford confirms it will ship new Bronco hardtops, Broncos this week

September 7, 2021

Ford Motor Co. will start shipping this week thousands of new hardtop roofs to dealers waiting to replace the faulty ones on 2021 Broncos already delivered, the Free Press has learned.

Also, Ford will be installing the new tops in 2021 Broncos that have been held backthen shipping those vehicles immediately.

"Testing has been completed," said Mark Grueber, Ford Bronco marketing manager, told the Free Press on Tuesday. "We're ramping up production of the new roof and waiting for those units."

Customers should call their dealers to make arrangements.

Three weeks ago, Ford announced that it would replace all 2021 Bronco hardtops for customers and dealers after extreme water and humidity changed their appearance.

In addition, Ford held its massive supply of non-delivered vehicles in large lots as the manufacturing process evolved.

In early July, the Free Press first reported that the Webasto hardtop problems were disrupting production and delivery of a product the began with 125,000 orders.

Ford began shipping the hot new SUV from its Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne in mid-June. A combination of the chip shortage, COVID-19 challenges and supply chain issues combined with a manufacturing problem to create a high-profile headache.

"We’ve started the roof replacements on the hardtop. We’ll be continuing to ramp that up to replace the roofs on vehicles currently being held needing the new roof," Grueber told the Free Press. "Shortly, we’ll be starting to send the new roofs out to dealers for those vehicles that have already been delivered. We expect to be shipping the roofs and the Broncos with the new roofs within the week."

The only delay now, he said, is the time it takes to run all Broncos that have been sitting awhile through comprehensive inspection.

"We'll do a water test on the new roof as well," Grueber said. "We'll make sure they're ready for sale."
reading between the lines, I suspect they have limited MIC 2.0 production capacity right now. I would guess they made one or two new tools for each of the 2 door and 4 doors to prove the design and production capability. Given this has apparently happened they may be able to make a smaller number per day and more importantly give the go-ahead to modify/replace all the MIC 1.0 tools/molds, etc. Hopefully full production capacity in October!!!

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Here is hope yet for my 7/1 FE build to actually arrive this year.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Man, the naysayers and haters are NOT gonna like this. 😂
Actually, super excited to hear the good news and if true, I am impressed that they are going to be ahead of schedule.

"Ford Motor Co. will start shipping this week thousands of new hardtop roofs to dealers waiting to replace the faulty ones on 2021 Broncos already delivered, the Free Press has learned."

I also said that they had delivered thousands of completed MIC Broncos, not just a few hundred.