JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The flu annually kills the same number of people. And put more in the ICU. So should we shut the country down every flu season?
ok, the worst flu season in the last 10 years only killed 2/3rds of what Covid-19 has, and that was over an entire Flu season with an already endemic disease. Covid has not been active during the flu season yet, which it is expected to be extremely more virulent then, and is not yet endemic, but it will be. Maybe not by this flu season, but by next for sure without a 100% effective vaccine.

that is to say, that that worst flu, over its 6 most active months, and already endemic, only succeeded in killing 2/3 of what this disease has without being endemic or active during its most problematic months.

While I generally agree with opening things back up, and telling people they need to make their own decisions and they are in charge of their own health and safety, spreading bullshit to support your point does no-one any good.
Sponsored

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ok, the worst flu season in the last 10 years only killed 2/3rds of what Covid-19 has, and that was over an entire Flu season with an already endemic disease. Covid has not been active during the flu season yet, which it is expected to be extremely more virulent then, and is not yet endemic, but it will be. Maybe not by this flu season, but by next for sure without a 100% effective vaccine.

that is to say, that that worst flu, over its 6 most active months, and already endemic, only succeeded in killing 2/3 of what this disease has without being endemic or active during its most problematic months.

While I generally agree with opening things back up, and telling people they need to make their own decisions and they are in charge of their own health and safety, spreading bullshit to support your point does no-one any good.
Time to drop a bomb over the fuckin lab.

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please tell us you really understand that is not true?

Otherwise I have some great beach front real estate for sale in Arizona.
its literally true. Look at the data. Almost all deaths in my state are from nursing homes and people who work there who spread it to their communities.

The idea that we shut down society if a truly dangerous disease strikes is one we need to prepare for. But this disease is not it. There is no evidence this is a disease that results in a crippled economy/society if left alone.

I used to be pro-shutdown after seeing the stuff coming out of china. I prepared early , bought food in bulk , all that stuff. It was a waste of time. Now i can barely get food at the store because people are still hording because they think at any moment a second wave will hit and kill a million people who were partying outside.

We learned alot from this episode as a society. The most important thing is that people will willingly give up EVERYTHING to stay alive including their rights and livings.

Its very sad that alot of old people are dying. And i have family members in nursing homes RIGHT NOW who are under threat from this. But i am allowing myself to separate my feelings for my family from the reality that they only have at most 10 years to live in these facilities before they pass on naturally. The idea that we are shutting down businesses , factories and the entire country to protect them is silly.

Just protect the nursing homes. Thats it. Thats all you have to do. The rest of the people who are dying are people who have preexisting conditions and severe obesity. Which is unfortunate as well. But not worth shutting the country down over.

Airborne ebola virus? tanks on every street corner. home lockdowns , and food rationing.

Corona virus? mandatory masks for every us citizen , social distancing , and widespread testing. No shutdown.

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And this thread is why I hate this whole discussion. You have to either think that Covid is a “nothingburger” OR we need to keep the shutdown in place until Summer/Fall/Winter/ whenever the hell the goalposts get moved. There is no middle ground because you get pounced on by one side or the other with everything you say.

Saying that it only kills old people so who cares is just insane to me especially. Do y’all not have friends/family that are in the demographic that could be affected? I do. So to say that we should stop caring or there isn’t a problem is just as insane to me as saying we should keep shut down.

I fucking hate how polarized this country is. It sucks.
Our country is not going back to a pre-polarized state. You can thank jon stewart for making political hate comedy a thing that quickly made its way into major news networks as a viable business strategy.

As far as covid 19. We learned alot as a society. If anything we should be thanking the stars that this was a benign disease compared with something much much worse like a superflu or hemmoragic fevers. This was a test run for society. Scientists and psychologists will be studying this for years to prepare for the real deal. You dont want to deal with a virus that doesnt discriminate by age. We were EXTREMELY lucky.

Its cold to say it , yes. I have family in nursing homes that i love very much. But the reality is they are at the end of their lives and will pass on naturally soon. If one of my relatives got this and died i would be devestated. But it would not change my mind at all.

Covid19 really is a nothing burger compared to the response its gotten. It would be one thing to say we should have not shut down. Thats incorrect. But the length of the shutdown continuing today is insane. People should be storming those liberal midwestern state capitols and dragging those governors out by their hair.

Ford should not be shutting down its plant. The union should be ignored. If they stike there are million of people who would sign up in 5 seconds flat. If EVERYONE wears a mask , it acts as a psuedo herd immunity. If you are wearing a mask your ability to infect another person is minimized greatly.

Its time to open up. We cant go through another recession. Our country will not survive that.

OP
OP

vr00m_vr00m

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Corolla, 93 G20, 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And this thread is why I hate this whole discussion. You have to either think that Covid is a “nothingburger” OR we need to keep the shutdown in place until Summer/Fall/Winter/ whenever the hell the goalposts get moved. There is no middle ground because you get pounced on by one side or the other with everything you say.

Saying that it only kills old people so who cares is just insane to me especially. Do y’all not have friends/family that are in the demographic that could be affected? I do. So to say that we should stop caring or there isn’t a problem is just as insane to me as saying we should keep shut down.

It doesn't have to be either-or so long as you abide by the guidelines and are not cramming motherfuckers into the assembly line you can still run your operations.

Unlike Tesla or in this case Ford.

Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Guys this is Bronco6g not Covid6g, take that shit somewhere else. On a lighter note, I cant wait until Ford finally reveals the Bronco in the year 2069
There is literally a thread for Covid-19.... y’all all go there!

Top Mach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands,1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s Memorial Day people. Let’s take a pause to remember all those who gave their lives for this country to protect our freedoms. Freedoms like complaining about not being able to go to the beach, or the store, or to a party. I am sure some of them would gladly trade their fate for the troubles we face today. The covid debate is valid and should be discussed. Lets leave this debate for tomorrow and save today to honor our fallen soldiers and to remember all those who have gone before us.

edit: and have the debate on the Covid thread.

Last edited:

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is fear mongering. Everyone better sell their cars, might wreck.
I hope people realize that all of the precautions are to prevent overwhelmed Healthcare systems. Those who are going to get it, will still get it. Healthy people should be out and about to build heard immunity.
I was using ventilator as an exaggeration, but ok.

COVID-19 has been proven to be more contagious than your every day flu. A large majority of people who get the flu aren't going to be able to work in that environment because of how it impacts your body. So even if it does impact most people like the normal flu, I wouldn't expect them to be showing up to work feeling like shit.

How many people in those factories have been there their whole lives? Just in that video those people seem to be of older age. Putting them in the high risk category.

What about the cases of kids who have been showing signs of Kawasaki disease after contracting COVID-19? I bet those parents would be thrilled to know they possibly gave their kids a life long disease because their employer was too worried about pleasing the shareholders.

Look, I agree that a lot of this is being blown out of proportion. But Ford themselves even made a 64(?) page book on re-opening policy and they can't even follow it.

They're losing the trust of their employees. It's not just at Ford. It's at a lot of large businesses where people are treated as disposable.

We all want to get back to normal, but greed from both sides of the argument is going to slow that greatly.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was using ventilator as an exaggeration, but ok.

COVID-19 has been proven to be more contagious than your every day flu. A large majority of people who get the flu aren't going to be able to work in that environment because of how it impacts your body. So even if it does impact most people like the normal flu, I wouldn't expect them to be showing up to work feeling like shit.

How many people in those factories have been there their whole lives? Just in that video those people seem to be of older age. Putting them in the high risk category.

What about the cases of kids who have been showing signs of Kawasaki disease after contracting COVID-19? I bet those parents would be thrilled to know they possibly gave their kids a life long disease because their employer was too worried about pleasing the shareholders.

Look, I agree that a lot of this is being blown out of proportion. But Ford themselves even made a 64(?) page book on re-opening policy and they can't even follow it.

They're losing the trust of their employees. It's not just at Ford. It's at a lot of large businesses where people are treated as disposable.

We all want to get back to normal, but greed from both sides of the argument is going to slow that greatly.
That is the real meat of the subject that needs to change, not now because humans are weakass whiners, but over time this needs to change or basically we are headed for every dystopian movie in the future. I used to travel alot in my 20s and Ive worked as a temp for atleast 15 large manufacturing in all kinds of sectors. Very rarely did i work for a company that felt like they cared about their employees in the way small companies do. Which is funny because they have much higher profits and should be more thankful.

Corona virus is bad, worse than influenza but not as bad as ebola. Anybody who payed attention to atleast 15 minutes of high school science class should realize this. People should take it seriously and we should continue the trial and error of how to open businesses. Carefully though. In a week or so Ford will have a new plan and strategy from the things they learned this week.

The silver lining of this pandemic is that maybe our economy will have a forced evolution towards hopefully a better future of equality.

As a side note that really hits our little bronco community. These virus discussions all over are just as polarizing as our IFS VS SFA issues.

Cant we all just learn to get along and take life as it comes.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Saying that it only kills old people so who cares is just insane to me especially. Do y’all not have friends/family that are in the demographic that could be affected? I do. So to say that
That is the real meat of the subject that needs to change, not now because humans are weakass whiners, but over time this needs to change or basically we are headed for every dystopian movie in the future. I used to travel alot in my 20s and Ive worked as a temp for atleast 15 large manufacturing in all kinds of sectors. Very rarely did i work for a company that felt like they cared about their employees in the way small companies do. Which is funny because they have much higher profits and should be more thankful.

Corona virus is bad, worse than influenza but not as bad as ebola. Anybody who payed attention to atleast 15 minutes of high school science class should realize this. People should take it seriously and we should continue the trial and error of how to open businesses. Carefully though. In a week or so Ford will have a new plan and strategy from the things they learned this week.

The silver lining of this pandemic is that maybe our economy will have a forced evolution towards hopefully a better future of equality.

As a side note that really hits our little bronco community. These virus discussions all over are just as polarizing as our IFS VS SFA issues.

Cant we all just learn to get along and take life as it comes.
Thats it, let the chair throwing begin :p

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Situation getting worse...

UAW Asks Ford To Shut Down Dearborn Truck Plant And Test All Workers For COVID-19
https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/u...ruck-plant-and-test-all-workers-for-covid-19/

Barely a week into the reopening of Ford’s U.S. plants, things appeared to be going rather smoothly. But then, both the Ford Dearborn Truck Plant and Ford Chicago Assembly Plant were shut down for roughly 24 hours after a few employees tested positive for COVID-19. And despite Ford implementing a wide range of new safety protocols at its facilities, the UAW Local 600 union – which represents workers at the Dearborn plant – has filed a grievance demanding additional actions from the automaker.

Those demands include asking Ford to shut down its Dearborn Truck Plant assembly lines until all workers can be tested for COVID-19. Additionally, the union is asking for additional break time, and wants Ford to complete a 24-hour shutdown every time a worker tests positive for the coronavirus, during which time the entire plant can be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

The UAW is looking to shut down the Dearborn Truck Plant immediately, at which point all 4,000 workers can be tested. Those who test negative can then return to work and the assembly lines can resume. Meanwhile, the additional 20 minutes of break time is being requested due to the complexity of the face masks workers must wear, which they say make physical labor more demanding.

“There’s no safe way to be back to work right now, but a safer way is for everybody to be tested,” said Gary Walkowicz, bargain committeeman at the Ford Dearborn Truck Plant. “I am sure there are people who are at work right now, they could have the virus and not show any symptoms or develop any symptoms, but they expose it to other folks.”

Ford has not commented on the grievance yet, but did issue a statement in response. “The safety of our workforce is our top priority. Working closely with the UAW and external experts in infectious disease and epidemiology, we have developed safety standards to protect our workforce; we follow those protocols at all Ford facilities globally. Our safety protocol continues to evolve as we learn more about COVID-19.”

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know enough details to pick a side. But I DO know I wouldn't buy a vehicle made in this environment - even at half-price

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
24H shutdown after each positive test of the entire facility? guess there won't be any more 2020 trucks this year.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know enough details to pick a side. But I DO know I wouldn't buy a vehicle made in this environment - even at half-price
I get where you're coming from, but wasn't the engineering all done before COVID?
Sponsored