Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From :https://community.thebronconation.com/the-fordpass-performance-app-and-the-2021-bronco-part-1/

THE FORDPASS PERFORMANCE APP AND THE 2021 BRONCO: PART 1

Part 1: Shane and the Problem
For the uninitiated, getting out in the wild can be difficult. Bryan Cranston voiceovers aside, the beauty of the North American wilderness is special and, for many, outside the reach of their experience and technical ability. Ford is trying to change that with an app and a suite of capabilities unlike anything ever attempted in a vehicle. Bronco Nation got a chance to sit down with the Senior Product Manager for Navigation at Ford and talk about the FordPass Performance app and we feel like this could be Bronco’s most important contribution to the world of off-road adventure.

Ford Bronco FordPass Performance App for Bronco – Features [Part 1] ford-pass-app-screen-1

In this series of articles, we’re going to examine the features and capabilities that the FordPass Performance app brings to Bronco. The feature set is groundbreaking, and we’re excited to share it with the Nation. However, to fully appreciate what this is and how it all came to be we need to introduce an important character and the problem that he’s trying to solve.

First, let’s talk about Shane Coloney. Most of you probably haven’t heard of him, he’s skipped around a number of companies, usually working in product management. However, chartography, navigation, and mapping seem to be his passions and years of experience at Garmin and Navico demonstrate that. That, and the patents he’s credited with covering Marine Data Collection and using radar to generate maps.

Shane being a chartography nerd is just one part of why he was such a good fit for leading the effort to create the app. He also really likes solving problems and pulling seeming unrelated concepts and technology together into a solution that users love. Getting Bronco owners who have never taken their rigs off-road out into the wild with the information they need to have a great and safe experience sounds like the perfect challenge for Shane and his team.

Ford Bronco FordPass Performance App for Bronco – Features [Part 1] shane-coloney

Shane Coloney – Senior Product Manager for Navigation

Part of my role at Bronco Nation has involved attending events across the country. We’ve followed the Broncos to Colorado, California, Arizona, and Utah. Every time I go to one of these events out west, I either fly over or drive through vast swaths of pristine wilderness. When I see it, I want to explore it. However, I wasn’t born yesterday, and I know that adventures in the wild are best pursued after careful planning and preparation. How am I supposed to know where the trails are, what obstacles are on the trail, or whether my Bronco can handle those obstacles? Currently, I can find most of this information through a combination of YouTube, forums, and a few other sources but gathering it is time consuming and it still doesn’t have the level of detail I would prefer.

Bronco’s implementation of the FordPass Performance app will guide Bronco owners over more than 2000 trails across the US, Canada, and Mexico. It will deeply integrate with the Bronco to capture detailed telemetry data and then display that data in an overlay of the trail footage that is captured on a smart phone at the press of a button. That video and trail experience can then be exported and shared virtually anywhere the user chooses on the internet. Every Bronco with the MID package will have access to the entire Bronco FordPass Performance experience, all owners need is a free FordPass account.

Furthermore, all of this data is either stored directly to the user’s device or stored in a Ford backend that is visible to the user and can be deleted by the user, if they chose to.

Ford Bronco FordPass Performance App for Bronco – Features [Part 1] ford-pass-app-screenshot-1

So much about Bronco is centered around getting you into the great outdoors. It’s like someone at Ford decided the only hope for humanity was to get people as far away from civilization as possible. After spending an unsatisfactory percentage of my life in massive urban centers both in the US and abroad, I can see how someone would come to that conclusion. Bronco+FordPass Performance, if it works as advertised, removes some significant barriers to accessing some of the most incredible places on the planet.

Ford Bronco FordPass Performance App for Bronco – Features [Part 1] ford-pass-dash-map-plot-points-1
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess this is the off-road maps they’ve been talking about? Seems cool.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been interested in the caravan ( or whatever they called it) feature for awhile. Hopefully they reveal something about that soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will be great if it is properly curated. If it isn't, could be useless or worse!

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More information is always good information! Thanks, Ford!

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not getting the MID package, so gaia it is FTW!

Sponsored

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it me or does this article feel like it’s lacking any real details? Don’t get me wrong it’s nice to know about but I want more!

I'm guessing the content is finished but their marketing team is bull shitting us to pad their "likes" and "views" count. Hence the "Part 1" in the headline.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm guessing the content is finished but their marketing team is bull shitting us to pad their "likes" and "views" count. Hence the "Part 1" in the headline.
Gotta slow drip the feed before they run out of exclusive content

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, I guess Ford just assumes lower priced model manual transmission owners already know there way around without the need of an app. 😂

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder if there are any off-road maps in MD ? I wonder what qualifies, does it have to be a state park or national park ?
Sponsored