Performing engine break in period (breaking in) during long delivery roadtrip?

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen "break-in" pop up a few times lately. Usually when someone is talking about driving 8+ non stop hours from Granger or Stephen's in their new broncos. Can you explain the breaking in process, why it's important, what are the risks, and how to do it properly? I will be flying in to pick up my bronco, and an 800 mile road trip back home.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is Ford's recommendation for break in? I will be picking up my Bronco out of state and driving it back on the interstate about 800 miles...so will have ver little stop and go and lower speeds. Are there any problems with this?

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is you new rig. If you a concerned about it you have 9 months to plot a rout home that is not 100% interstate. When on the back roads you are in control of how long you hold the new rig at one speed. You are also in control of your actions and can plan on pulling off to the side of the road and pulling back on again to vary rpm and speed.
What is the big hurry? Just plan on adding an hour or two to your drive.

If you are in a rush and don't care, Just drive the interstate.

All of the new vehicles I have purchased in the past regardless of brand state to not accelerate aggressively. Not to stay at one speed for prolonged periods.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Years ago bought and packed a toyota for 3000 mile trip. Shop said it was the best thing I could do.

Streetbob08

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Harley.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Different engines require different break in procedures. A crotch rocket motorcycle is different than a Harley. The main two things in my opinion are heat and changing the oil. A engine will produce more heat than normal due to metal parts wearing together. The best thing to do is keep the rpm's in the lower operating range, fluctuate the rpm's in that range and change the engine oil as soon as the breaking period is over. I will be doing more research in the near future to see what I can find on break in for Eco-boost engines. I am getting my Bronco from Granger Ford and will be driving it back to southern Utah. so I will be planning a return trip on back roads and stopping by Ford dealer to change the engine oil during the trip.

HuskerJen47

Big Bend
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am just driving my car from Granger to Omaha...so just a couple of hours. I don't usually use Cruise Control so my Speed will fluctuate enough.

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is Ford's recommendation for break in? I will be picking up my Bronco out of state and driving it back on the interstate about 800 miles...so will have ver little stop and go and lower speeds. Are there any problems with this?
I will be road tripping it home after pick up as well. 2400 miles! I have been researching and planning the trip home. Back roads, stopping at "the worlds largest ball of twine", etc. Taking my time. Checking out America! Planning on taking 10 days to get home.
Oil and filter change at 500 miles, and at 1500, and again when I get home. With Mobil 1 oil, only!

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Years ago bought and packed a toyota for 3000 mile trip. Shop said it was the best thing I could do.
Yeah but that's a toyota ... I love fords owned and still own many both work and play, however toyota engines are unstoppable ...