Ford's Leadership and Financial Situation Effect On Bronco

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Platinum, 2016 Escape SE, 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sahara
This is me. The RS was really appealing, but I couldn't justify dropping $40k on a Focus with 19 inch summer tires and potential engine issues. Went with a last model year Focus ST for half the price and couldn't be happier.
I think ST is where they should have drawn the line. The RS works in Europe because they consider Fusion to be a large car and anything bigger than that HUGE! Focus continues to be a sales leader there because it’s a sweet spot for their infrastructure. Here in the states it’s obviously that it’s a tiny car compared to our infrastructure. It’s also considered to be a starter car for a young person, not something you buy when you’ve “made it” and you’re ready to buy a status car.

PNW_Bronco94

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco, 1968 Mustang Fastback, 2018 Focus ST
It’s also considered to be a starter car for a young person, not something you buy when you’ve “made it” and you’re ready to buy a status car.
Ouch. Right in the 1/3-life crisis feels.

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ouch. Right in the 1/3-life crisis feels.
And I mean absolutely no disrespect with that comment. They're massively popular here in my neck of the woods with software engineers and other mid 20's folks who are out there buying their first new vehicle.

PNW_Bronco94

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco, 1968 Mustang Fastback, 2018 Focus ST
And I mean absolutely no disrespect with that comment. They're massively popular here in my neck of the woods with software engineers and other mid 20's folks who are out there buying their first new vehicle.
I know man, but you're right. It's such a great little car and it checks a lot of boxes - reasonably fast, great handling, stick(!), room for 2 small kids, etc. My 40-something dentist friend bought an even smaller Fiesta ST, so the demographics for these things must be pretty diverse. But with a growing family, I'll likely be trading it in for a Bronco.

HoosierDaddy

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 1968 Bronco, 2010 Legacy GT 1985 M1028 (Chevy
Vehicle Showcase

I think auto manufacturers are done listening to enthusiast forum comments and building vehicles based on what people are saying they would buy, those experiments failed. Everyone screamed that they'd buy as many Focus RS's s Ford could import, until the point when they walked into a dealership and went to buy one....

This perfectly describes the 2010 thru 2012 Legacy GT. The Legacy forums were SCREAMING about how they'd all be buying THIS car when it was made. Across 3 years they only made/sold 1200 of them. ....
I have one, fraking fun family car! Mid-size family car with a WRX motor and 6spd Manual = good times.
My thought is, all the squaking was kids online, day dreaming about having money. They're still bitching about not having a new version.....

(Side note.... it's kinda cool driving a car like that, knowing there were only 1200 made....even if no body else cares)

and figured out that they can't even afford to pay for the ( summer extreme performance) tires that wear out every 15,000 miles. or worse yet, they continue driving on those bald ass, summer only tires all through the winter.... or until the first slide out that totals their shiny new ego mobile.

When you can appeal to the 99% and the 1% gives you the most headache, which group makes more sense to cater to?
Again, read up on the WRX forums about all the racer boys who modify/tune their Hi-Performance machine to the point of failure....then cry up a storm when their warranty gets denied for a new long block or or more because they grenaded the turbo.

Randy92Fox

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
I think ST is where they should have drawn the line. The RS works in Europe because they consider Fusion to be a large car and anything bigger than that HUGE! Focus continues to be a sales leader there because it’s a sweet spot for their infrastructure. Here in the states it’s obviously that it’s a tiny car compared to our infrastructure. It’s also considered to be a starter car for a young person, not something you buy when you’ve “made it” and you’re ready to buy a status car.
I loved the idea of the RS as a Blue Oval product to take on the STi but for the price I would have bought a Mustang GT over the RS. Instead I bought neither because I'm poor like Kenny's family. Hoping the Bronco will be my first new car purchase.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 86 Capri 5.0, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Man, I really can't wait for this crossover and SUV craze to end. Maybe someday the 99% will go back to liking passenger cars so that catering to the 1% isn't such a chore

Saw a pretty funny article the other day... it suggested that if enthusiasts collectively started calling crossovers "minivans", maybe the 99% would stop liking them so much and spring for something smaller

A man can dream, right?

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I really can't wait for this crossover and SUV craze to end. Maybe someday the 99% will go back to liking passenger cars so that catering to the 1% isn't such a chore

Saw a pretty funny article the other day... it suggested that if enthusiasts collectively started calling crossovers "minivans", maybe the 99% would stop liking them so much and spring for something smaller

A man can dream, right?
Maybe if they started calling MiniVans, Crossovers they'd sell more! SUV's/Crossovers aren't going anywhere for the next twenty years as far as I can see it. There are also a ton of well engineered options that give you all the go fast and handling bits with a little extra room and they won't have a bumper ripped off if you go camping.

BHShaman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Man, I really can't wait for this crossover and SUV craze to end.
Sorry, not going to happen.
Crossovers and SUV gets 50-100% better MPG than sedans from a decade or two ago.
PLUS, all that sweet storage space and riding height.

Americans are not getting any thinner either.

bbostic5

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord, '08 Civic, '93 FD
Sorry, not going to happen.
Crossovers and SUV gets 50-100% better MPG than sedans from a decade or two ago.
PLUS, all that sweet storage space and riding height.

Americans are not getting any thinner either.
I agree except us getting fatter. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like there's been a big push for physical health the last couple years.

BHShaman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like there's been a big push for physical health the last couple years.
I lost 30lbs last year. Finally got back into Mt Biking at 47.
But, a few outliers do not a trend make. Maybe a slow leveling there as we moved into 2010.
Fast search did not show more recent data.

NUSQTAL7HE3JFDWAXVPDEMOXT4.jpg

Not everyone likes "Twiggies" anyway. Being slightly heavier is not all bad.

average-weight-for-women.jpg

bbostic5

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord, '08 Civic, '93 FD
I lost 30lbs last year. Finally got back into Mt Biking at 47.
But, a few outliers do not a trend make. Maybe a slow leveling there as we moved into 2010.
Fast search did not show more recent data.

NUSQTAL7HE3JFDWAXVPDEMOXT4.jpg

Not everyone likes "Twiggies" anyway. Being slightly heavier is not all bad.

average-weight-for-women.jpg
Yeah, that graph definitely doesn't paint a good picture. I'd be real interested though to see post 2010.

And agreed on twiggies!

Carmaker1

First Name
Dr. J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor 802A, Ford SVT Raptor 6.2, 2008 Land Rover Defender 90 SVX (UK), various others

A man can dream, right?
When you look at most vehicles pre-1950s, They match the modern definition of crossover and SUV. They're going back to form, but now as unibodies and/or IFS/IRS.

Last edited:
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
When you look at most vehicles pre-1950s, They match the modern definition of crossover and SUV. They're going back to form, but now as unibodies and/or IFS/IRS.
The first high volume vehicles were multipurpose. The breakthrough Model T was a pickup, wagon, etc. I think the era of sedans is over, and if something similar comes back it will be to fill the econo-car slot.