Ford's Leadership and Financial Situation Effect On Bronco

Carmaker1

First Name
Dr. J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor 802A, Ford SVT Raptor 6.2, 2008 Land Rover Defender 90 SVX (UK), various others
The first high volume vehicles were multipurpose. The breakthrough Model T was a pickup, wagon, etc. I think the era of sedans is over, and if something similar comes back it will be to fill the econo-car slot.
Exactly, multipurpose. They were very tall, until the low and sleek look took over in the 1950s and '60s.

BoatBuilder88

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD: Bronco or Wrangler
good Lord. bet mustang numbers look like that too. frickin ridiculous. I bought a base model F-150 for 16.5k in 2002. now you need 30, pay certainly hasn't increased that much since then. damn 250s used to cost in the 20s, 40s for fully loaded. now you can option a 250 out for over 80.
$16.5k in 2002 vs $30k in 2020... That's an increase of 3.4% per year. Not too bad. Plus the 2020 version is so much nicer.

JimmyDean

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
$16.5k in 2002 vs $30k in 2020... That's an increase of 3.4% per year. Not too bad. Plus the 2020 version is so much nicer.
Except wages have not increased that much.

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 13 Explorer XLT, 97 Jeep Wrangler
……….

Not everyone likes "Twiggies" anyway. Being slightly heavier is not all bad.

average-weight-for-women.jpg

HAHA X2 !!!!! :like: more cushion for the pushin' Third from the left:shock: but I wouldn't kick none of 'em 'outta bed for eatin' crackers.

SHO4CY

First Name
Noah
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150 Screw Fx4 3.5 EB
Very Sizeable Fleet Dealer here...
Fleets didn't like or buy Taurus, they buy Fusion - Fusion still exists for the time being.
Fleets like Escape more than Fusion. Escape is sticking around. Fusion is being phased out. People who have their company car that doubles as their weekend vehicle for personal use don't want a Fusion, they want an Escape nearly every single time if they are given the option.
Fleets don't like Subaru, well very few of them like them.
Fleets don't like Mustang (other than rental fleets)
Fleets don't like Focus or any equivalent - it's too small and not flexible enough, hauling clients etc. so it's just a single use product. No one wants to be invited out to lunch by a sales rep that makes you cram into a Focus.

As for your angle of giving Subaru a run, I would suggest you watch our product launches coming up.
Outback competitor maybe?

WRX competitor, no, not happening. Focus ST and RS buyers pretty much killed that off. Those cars are instant headaches for any dealer and they're glad to see them go. They confused ST and RS with buying a racecar or Lamborghini where velvet ropes part and a red carpet is rolled out each time you come in to complain about how a bolt found behind the dash panel was improperly torqued and now there's a video of it on YouTube.

I think auto manufacturers are done listening to enthusiast forum comments and building vehicles based on what people are saying they would buy, those experiments failed. Everyone screamed that they'd buy as many Focus RS's s Ford could import, until the point when they walked into a dealership and went to buy one and figured out that they can't even afford to pay for the tires that wear out every 15,000 miles. Or that their insurance company wouldn't insure them because they're extremely high risk and the Evo they bought and totaled a few years back was still on their record. Evo's at one point had something like a 65% rate of total loss.

When you can appeal to the 99% and the 1% gives you the most headache, which group makes more sense to cater to?
@ChrispyKC Thanks for the wise words. If you're hinting at the lifted fusion wagon, I've seen some spy pics floating around.

You're right about the 1%. I wonder if offering a slushbox in the Focus ST would have saved it? The VW Golf offers both.

It seems that Ford is at least offering a performance version of some of their offerings (Raptor, Explorer ST, Edge ST, Bronco Raptor). I think there would be a case for an Escape ST, and Baby Bronco Raptor. People like having special versions of their vehicles. I like the blackout appearance packages Ford has started to offer.

I'm definitely not a Dodge fan, but man they have kept the Challenger and Charger around quite a while by offering new versions regularly (T/A, Shaker package, Super Bee, Brass Monkey, Daytona, Hellcat, Hellcat Redeye, Demon, Widebody, etc. Some wild colors too.) some are appearance, but some are functional.