First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey guys, I am not a computer savy person but I am fairly mechanical. I have never used a FORScan device. My situation is that I was deep into a trail last week and my speed sensors, abs sensors, all threw a fault code. This code prevents my lockers from engaging and put me in a bad spot stuck on the trail. Iā€™m purchasing all four sensors to keep in the truck as spares but my dealership told me that I couldnā€™t just swap the sensors out without programming the truck to calibrate them, is this a true statement? If so, how difficult is it to purchase and learn a FORScan device so I could perform a trail repair?
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What sensor was the issue. Very unlikely that all 4 died. Also Iā€™m sure you will probably never have that happen again.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

None of this really makes sense. The ABS light was most likely on for a different reason. I highly doubt all 4 sensors threw a DTC and went bad all at the same time.

Also, wheel speed sensors are not programmed at all, so not sure what your dealer is talking about. They are 100% swap-able without any computer needed.

mj63

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It sounds like there was an error in the reference speed calculation (notoriously difficult in 4wd when all four wheels are spinning and the vehicle is on a grade and/or side slope) to me and that set a plausibility fault against the wheelspeed sensor(s).

Front and rear wheelspeed sensors might be different from one another, but likely the same side to side, so I would tend to want to only carry one each of front and rear sensors at a time rather than all 4.

Also, yes this sort of error could set off a fault tree that disabled ABS, ESC, lockers, maybe even 4WD, etc.

OP
OP
Yamapro

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What sensor was the issue. Very unlikely that all 4 died. Also Iā€™m sure you will probably never have that happen again.
The tech told me that all 4 coded, which was strange. There was no damage to any sensor and they all check out fine now.

OP
OP
Yamapro

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
None of this really makes sense. The ABS light was most likely on for a different reason. I highly doubt all 4 sensors threw a DTC and went bad all at the same time.

Also, wheel speed sensors are not programmed at all, so not sure what your dealer is talking about. They are 100% swap-able without any computer needed.
I absolutely agree that it doesnā€™t make sense. The abs light came on, a parking brake warning came on, a parking assist disabled warning, and a couple more that arenā€™t coming to mind. I was able to find a half dozen people that had this exact experience in the forums but I was the only one off roading when it happened. Iā€™m just looking for a way to repair the truck if it happens again as losing the lockers had me stuck on the trail, I was 8 hours deep into Golden Spike in Moab. Iā€™ve already ordered all four sensors and will keep them on the truck in case. I was hoping that the dealership was full of it regarding having to program the sensor if I replaced one or all of them.
Sponsored