Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my friend works for fox racing and he told me that fox is working on some parts for the bronco. I asked him if the parts were for the Bronco R and he said yes but there was going to be another raptor type model that they were working on. He said it wasn’t coming till after the 2021 model sometime though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know how much of a difference the fox shocks will make over the bilsteins? I mean we don't know yet, I'm just asking as a difference historically between the two.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone know how much of a difference the fox shocks will make over the bilsteins? I mean we don't know yet, I'm just asking as a difference historically between the two.
That's going to be hard to say without knowing exactly what specific shocks each company is providing. What can't be determined will be general ride and performance design.

Bilstein uses a Digressive shock valving with will have a firmer initial dampening and soften up on the bigger stuff. What that means is they are firmer riding, more sports car feel, firmer over small bumps and daily driving.

Fox is a Progressive shock and will have a softer more plush ride but will firm up when things get bigger. They are better for high speed off roading. This is one of the reasons that a Raptor rides so good but handles the high speed woops and jumping.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's going to be hard to say without knowing exactly what specific shocks each company is providing. What can't be determined will be general ride and performance design.

Bilstein uses a Digressive shock valving with will have a firmer initial dampening and soften up on the bigger stuff. What that means is they are firmer riding, more sports car feel, firmer over small bumps and daily driving.

Fox is a Progressive shock and will have a softer more plush ride but will firm up when things get bigger. They are better for high speed off roading. This is one of the reasons that a Raptor rides so good but handles the high speed woops and jumping.
Very much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would say you should expect the Bilsteins to be very good for a factory setup and I wouldn't expect something like Fox 2.0s to be an upgrade in performance or quality. Any factory shock is going to be biased towards street use and aftermarket setups tend to be stiffer, for better or worse. The #1 complaint of Fox 2.0 shocks is that they are too stiff on the street.

Once you get into Fox Factory or Bilstein 8112s, that's a whole different ballgame. I asked a local vendor who was involved in early testing of the 8112s and who sells all of the big names (Fox, Bilstein, King, OME, etc) and he told me he preferred the 8112s over anything short of a custom racing setup. But Fox Factory and others are proven and excellent as well if you're looking to dump $4k+ into a suspension upgrade on your brand new Bronco.

I'd be shocked if the Bilsteins have the Zone Control design from the 8112s (although they did put it into the TRX), but my point is that I wouldn't get too caught up in name brands. The specific design and tuning are a lot more important than the name of the side of the coilovers.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Generally, Fox are better than Bilstein, but you pay for it. Also depends on what models you are comparing. I would expect Fox to have a decent 2.5 coilover to replace factory front and rears that will be an upgrade.

The Fox shocks will also most likely be rebuildable and the Bilsteins aren't.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On my Tacoma I went from Bilstein to Fox 2.5 dual adjustable coilovers and it was night and day difference. It went from riding like a Toyota to a Cadillac.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It good to see after market getting a jump start on parts for us. Now start building us some bumpers!!!!

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It good to see after market getting a jump start on parts for us. Now start building us some bumpers!!!!
From what I understand, being part of SEMA will get most members the CAD files to vehicles the manufacturers want aftermarket parts made for. They don’t give the full CAD files, but they’ll give the files like the front clip, or front frame and suspension, or rear frame and suspension. Allows big name players to develop suspension components, bumpers, etc and have them quickly after launch. They’ll design and then have them made and ready for fitment check once they get their hands on them. I would not be surprised at all if Fox already has those files because of their relationship with Ford and the Raptor.

https://www.semagarage.com/techtransfer/index
Sponsored