Sponsored

from an actual practical perspective. How important is the "swaybar" disconnect in the badlands?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im getting a badlands but the main reason im getting it is for overlanding and i see it as the most capable.

However after watching several videos of the "disconnect" feature that makes the badlands unique. I have to wonder if its all that impressive or even useful (very small articulation difference).

Will we really not know until the car is out? Or so some of you with IFS experience off road know better? Is this going to be a big deal of a feature or kind of a gimmick?

Ford Bronco from an actual practical perspective. How important is the "swaybar" disconnect in the badlands? bronco swaybar
Sponsored

Last edited:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I say it's between "big deal" and "gimmick."

It can certainly be useful in certain situations but it would have no bearing on my purchase. As in I wouldn't bump up a trim solely based on a disconnect.

I'll probably put a manual disconnect in. Cheaper, likely more reliable, and I don't need to bump up to a Badlands for it. The downside being that I can't just push a button and disconnect in any terrain.

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As far as articulation goes, I would consider it mostly a gimmick. With that said, it is very likely that disconnecting will soften the ride when you are offroad, resulting in improved comfort to cruise around with the stability bars disco'd.

Toyota 4Runners have a similar system, KDSS, that is very popular, though I obviously can't say how the Bronco system will compare.

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im getting a badlands but the main reason im getting it is for overlanding and i see it as the most capable.

However after watching several videos of the "disconnect" feature that makes the badlands unique. I have to wonder if its all that impressive or even useful (very small articulation difference).

Will we really not know until the car is out? Or so some of you with IFS experience off road know better? Is this going to be a big deal of a feature or kind of a gimmick?
To be honest I don't think its a necessity. I have talked to a lot of jeep owners that have this feature and they rarely use while going off road. some of them it doesn't even work anymore and they don't ever miss it. I am going badlands for 2 reasons and 2 alone

1.) The interior is probably the best one. The MGV seats and wash out floors is a deal breaker for me. I have to have them .

2.) the ability to get the 12" screen on the high pack is another thing I have to have. (not available on Black Diamond, only other model to get MGV seats and wash out floors)

So for me the stab disconnect isn't a need or deal breaker. it's just and added bonus.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not important at all. It is a nice feature though.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To be honest I don't think its a necessity. I have talked to a lot of jeep owners that have this feature and they rarely use while going off road. some of them it doesn't even work anymore and they don't ever miss it. I am going badlands for 2 reasons and 2 alone

1.) The interior is probably the best one. The MGV seats and wash out floors is a deal breaker for me. I have to have them .

2.) the ability to get the 12" screen on the high pack is another thing I have to have. (not available on Black Diamond, only other model to get MGV seats and wash out floors)

So for me the stab disconnect isn't a need or deal breaker. it's just and added bonus.
I put a manual disco on my pre auto disco 05 Rubicon and while I do some challenging off roading have never disco'd it. While I have been in the "temporarily static driving mode" (stuck) a few times I don't think it would have made a difference in those cases.

That said, it may be more important with the Bronco's IFS. I may install a manual disco if it becomes important.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My reservation is Wildtrak - absolutely zero need for the disco myself.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m not sure how easy it will be to add manual disconnects, to me it looks like they would be hard to get to. The Jeeps couldn’t be in an easier place, but they can still be a pain on uneven ground and it always seems to be wet or muddy if you have to crawl under there to do it. With that being said if didn’t look very impressive in the video clips but hoping it’s more practical when actually using it.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I doubt I'll use mine more than a couple of times and if I could get Man-Squatch for 21MY I could live with a BaseManSquatch.

My main reasons for buying a Badlands:
  1. Better HOSS suspension, front axle, etc.
  2. MGV Interior
  3. Lux package with a manual - one of a dying breed of manual vehicles with any decent tech

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm getting it because the Bronco is IFS. It's the only thing that makes the IFS, even remotely, work well off road (in the rocks). If you watch videos of IFS rolling over, the disconnect may have helped keep the tires on the ground. I will say, based on what I've seen, it looks like it only add a marginal benefit, but I'm willing to take anything I can get.

Sponsored

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm getting it because the Bronco is IFS. It's the only thing that makes the IFS, even remotely, work well off road (in the rocks). If you watch videos of IFS rolling over, the disconnect may have helped keep the tires on the ground. I will say, based on what I've seen, it looks like it only add a marginal benefit, but I'm willing to take anything I can get.
I'm really not trying to be difficult but can you clarify: " It's the only thing that makes the IFS, even remotely, work" and then: "it looks like it only add a marginal benefit". Can you elaborate? I have little experience with IFS (other than TTB Fords, which I like) off road.

I had a four wheel independent suspension 05 Explorer and in rough rocky situations it seldom had four wheels on the ground! I'm hoping the solid rear on the Bronco will help.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The IFS will have poor articulation. You can do a search on IFS/SFA articulation and you'll get hundreds/thousands of hits. There are some good explanations on this forum as well. So, with the Bronco, you're more likely to lift a tire, in the rocks or where articulation is an issue. You don't have the opposing force of the other side of the lever with IFS. So, when the tire cannot touch or at least has less opposing pressure, you either lose traction or at some point lift the tire. More likely with IFS in the rocks than with SFA.

IFS is great when all tires are on the ground, like washboard or smaller rocks and ruts. It's great, until it isn't. The disconnect gives you slightly more range of motion/articulation for those larger rocks and ruts. When I say slightly, it is based on the videos that have been put out to show the disconnect feature. It looks like it adds a marginal benefit; one I'm willing to pay for.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure how easy it will be to add manual disconnects, to me it looks like they would be hard to get to. The Jeeps couldn’t be in an easier place, but they can still be a pain on uneven ground and it always seems to be wet or muddy if you have to crawl under there to do it. With that being said if didn’t look very impressive in the video clips but hoping it’s more practical when actually using it.
The sway bar end links look pretty easy to reach to me. All you really need is a couple of wrenches, et voila, swaybars disconnected. Just do it before you start the trail and you're all set. I'm willing to pay for the automatic swaybar disconnect but I certainly don't consider it necessary in the least.

Ford Bronco from an actual practical perspective. How important is the "swaybar" disconnect in the badlands? Bronco_parts_08
Sponsored