Sponsored

from an actual practical perspective. How important is the "swaybar" disconnect in the badlands?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like anything else, it depends. Are you going to use your Bronco in a way that makes it advantageous?

I am not. Even though I use 4WD on a weekly basis, I do not need or want it. If the sway bar is an issue, I will remove it altogether, likely with no ill effects, as can be done on most 4WD vehicles. For me, it would be a wasted gimmick. For others though, it may not be and could be very useful.

I have no desire to pay for stuff I know I won't use, especially expensive to fix stuff. Most likely, my Bronco is not going to roll on stock springs/shocks for long and will probably have a slightly higher spring rate and sway bar delete.
Sponsored

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest I don't think its a necessity. I have talked to a lot of jeep owners that have this feature and they rarely use while going off road. some of them it doesn't even work anymore and they don't ever miss it. I am going badlands for 2 reasons and 2 alone

1.) The interior is probably the best one. The MGV seats and wash out floors is a deal breaker for me. I have to have them .

2.) the ability to get the 12" screen on the high pack is another thing I have to have. (not available on Black Diamond, only other model to get MGV seats and wash out floors)

So for me the stab disconnect isn't a need or deal breaker. it's just and added bonus.
I’m 100% the same as you. These two reasons alone is why I’m going to BL.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am trying to decide between BL and OBX. I do not recall if the disconnect is available on the OBX, but it seems from this thread that it is of marginal value. My bronco will be mostly road with some CALI off road periodically, including the Mohave Road. I am getting the impression that an OBX with SASQ provides a vast majority of the capability (other than crawling) that the BL does and it offers the tech/lux/running boards that my better half wants. I would add steel bash/bumper on the OBX. I would appreciate input on this decision and also welcome thoughts on whether the running board is high enough on the OBX SASQ to not be in the way for most off roading and is the lack of Baja mode a big deal? OBX has Sport but not Baja mode. Thanks.

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you into actual rock crawling?

If not, then you don't "need" it.

Coming from an IFS/solid axle for the past 10 years, and done my fair share of nasty trails....lockers have saved me the most and even that has been few and far between. Never disconnected the sway bar...

Also it really is true as someone said in another thread on this subject...if you have to ask you dont need it...

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It'll be nice to have. I disconnected the bar on my last IFS vehicle manually, and it was a pain in the butt to stop, do it, and then put it back when finished. A long trip, no problem. A spur of the moment trail: problem. Disconnecting did make a difference on that truck, and certainly will on Bronco. How much you'll use it or need it is totally up in the air....but did you see how much that entire vehicle drops when you disconnect? It lowers the whole center of gravity. That to me will give a nice boost of confidence, even if I can make it through with just one locked front tire on the ground (which you almost always can).

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like anything else, it depends. Are you going to use your Bronco in a way that makes it advantageous?

I am not. Even though I use 4WD on a weekly basis, I do not need or want it. If the sway bar is an issue, I will remove it altogether, likely with no ill effects, as can be done on most 4WD vehicles. For me, it would be a wasted gimmick. For others though, it may not be and could be very useful.

I have no desire to pay for stuff I know I won't use, especially expensive to fix stuff. Most likely, my Bronco is not going to roll on stock springs/shocks for long and will probably have a slightly higher spring rate and sway bar delete.
Side note on sway bar delete: I had a broken end link on my Rubicon, How I discovered it-When I would rev the engine a bit while stationary, the body would actually torque over a bit, looked around found the broken end link. So stabilizer bars do provide a function.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im getting a badlands but the main reason im getting it is for overlanding and i see it as the most capable.

However after watching several videos of the "disconnect" feature that makes the badlands unique. I have to wonder if its all that impressive or even useful (very small articulation difference).

Will we really not know until the car is out? Or so some of you with IFS experience off road know better? Is this going to be a big deal of a feature or kind of a gimmick?

bronco swaybar.gif

The difference in the Bronco is they would not have had to back off the rock to disconnect it :)

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

push of a button is nice, but ya have to think there is still some limitation to movement because the sway bar is still there. where as you get an aftermarket link, pop couple pins on each side, secure the sway bar, and now your totally disconnected

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For overlanding I would say no. 4 runner is a great overlanding rig and it doesn’t have it. I have an Fj and took the sway bar off completely at 10,000 miles. Little loose in the front but still handles better in the corners then a stock jeep.

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

adding this to the pot.... what about potential resale value for rigs with the electric disconnect?

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For overlanding I would say no. 4 runner is a great overlanding rig and it doesn’t have it. I have an Fj and took the sway bar off completely at 10,000 miles. Little loose in the front but still handles better in the corners then a stock jeep.
4Runner does have it now if you have KDSS. It is pretty well liked.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
push of a button is nice, but ya have to think there is still some limitation to movement because the sway bar is still there. where as you get an aftermarket link, pop couple pins on each side, secure the sway bar, and now your totally disconnected
No, I think pushing the button will disconnect all the way

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The sway bar end links look pretty easy to reach to me. All you really need is a couple of wrenches, et voila, swaybars disconnected. Just do it before you start the trail and you're all set. I'm willing to pay for the automatic swaybar disconnect but I certainly don't consider it necessary in the least.

Ford Bronco from an actual practical perspective. How important is the "swaybar" disconnect in the badlands? stabilizer-2_orig-
I don’t know man, I could be wrong, but to me it looks like you really got to get under there to reconnect it. Even with the jeep I often have to get in there with a crow bar to pop the second link on. Maybe being an IFS will be easier. I’m sure aftermarket will come up with a solution if it’s a problem

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t know man, I could be wrong, but to me it looks like you really got to get under there to reconnect it. Even with the jeep I often have to get in there with a crow bar to pop the second link on. Maybe being an IFS will be easier. I’m sure aftermarket will come up with a solution if it’s a problem
Park on flat ground and it's no big deal.
Sponsored