What is the key hole to the right of the License plate in the back?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What is the key hole to the right of the License plate in the back? Comes out but doesn't seem to lock anything
Sponsored

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
What is the key hole to the right of the License plate in the back? Comes out but doesn't seem to lock anything
Access hole for spare tire lowering jack.......

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Keep it lubricated especially in the northeast or it will lock up. Happened on my 2011 F-150.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
Was just thinking this exact same thing! Guess it makes sense to use the key so someone can't come up and steal your spare tire from your truck!

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Access hole for spare tire lowering jack.......
In the owners manual (version 2) it does not mention this access hole lock when changing out a tire with the spare tire - what trim model do you have?

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
In the owners manual (version 2) it does not mention this access hole lock when changing out a tire with the spare tire - what trim model do you have?
Mine has it on the XLT.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It is a key hole shaped hole not a lock.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
You guys got my curiosity up, so I went down to my truck and checked it out. It actually is a lock. You insert your key and turn it to remove a plug that fills the access hole. Then you insert the jack handle at an angle towards the center line of the truck to reach the lowering crank. If you shine your light in the hole, you'll see a whitish plastic funnel to guide the handle to the connecting point since it is at a sharp angle.

Last edited:

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
My F-150 has a cap over the key hole to protect it from dirt but there is no rubber o ring to prevent moisture from getting in.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
You guys got my curiosity up, so I went down to my truck and checked it out. It actually is a lock. You insert your key and turn it to remove a plug that fills the access hole. Then you insert the jack handle at an angle towards the center line of the truck to reach the lowering crank. If you shine your light in the hole, you'll see a whitish plastic funnel to guide the handle to the connecting point since it is at a sharp angle.
Pickups have had that set up for years, in the beginning, it was just an open hole and the spare tires would at times get stolen because all you needed was a long jack handle. But now there's the keyed lock in the hole which works.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I have reviewed the Owner's manual and cannot find any mention of the keyed access hole that is needed to insert the jack handle into the winch in order to lower the spare tire. The hole on my step bumper is blocked by a lock that requires the fob key (actual key inserted into the fob). I can find no mention in the owners manual and think this is maybe a glaring error on the part of the Ford employee that has sign-off responsibility for the Ranger Owner's manual.

When I was head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering for the last 5 years of my career way back in 2002, I had sign-off responsibility for the Owner's Manual, and would caught flak from inside the company, dealers and owners if there were any errors...That is why I read the book 4 or 5 times...

Anyone found this lock and wondered what it is....maybe only on Lariat?

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. - Retired

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I have reviewed the Owner's manual and cannot find any mention of the keyed access hole that is needed to insert the jack handle into the winch in order to lower the spare tire. The hole on my step bumper is blocked by a lock that requires the fob key (actual key inserted into the fob). I can find no mention in the owners manual and think this is maybe a glaring error on the part of the Ford employee that has sign-off responsibility for the Ranger Owner's manual.

When I was head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering for the last 5 years of my career way back in 2002, I had sign-off responsibility for the Owner's Manual, and would caught flak from inside the company, dealers and owners if there were any errors...That is why I read the book 4 or 5 times...

Anyone found this lock and wondered what it is....maybe only on Lariat?

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. - Retired
Page 301, it does mention to stick the handle in the guide hole, but there is no mention of the key/lock cover in the hole. I'm not sure it's standard to have the key/lock cover on all vehicles.
upload_2019-4-4_13-47-42.png

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
SEZ this in the brochure...
"Jack, Spare wheel, and tire, with lock and rear under frame carrier"

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I might have missed this in the manual and a search came up blank.

I've got the trailer package and I assume it's related to this but there's key hole to the right of the license plate.
IMG_1836.JPG

What's this for??
Sponsored