airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, we just bought the Yakima Evo hitch mount bike rack, which will move back and forth between my Bronco (if it ever arrives) and my partner's Mach-E. I don't particularly like it on the back with the Mach-E's hatchback, and think I'll hate it even more with the Bronco swinging tailgate. Then I saw on another thread here that someone had a bumper with a front receiver, which got me thinking that if buses can have a front bike rack, why can't a Bronco? Assuming it's for carrying on roads, and not turning my mountain bike into a brush guard, does this sound viable?

1. Is there a front receiver that works with the standard bumper, or am I upgrading to do this (aw shucks!)
2. Has anyone out there tried a front mount bike rack yet?
Sponsored

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Someone with an aftermarket bumper welded a plate to a hitch receiver and bolted it to the winch plate.

OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My bad - I had to go reread that thread - I assumed this was an aftermarket bumper option.

71Br0nc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the ARB Summit Bumper and bolted an aftermarket 2" receiver hitch that matched the bolt pattern of the winch mounts of the bumper to create a front hitch receiver that looks like it was meant to be there. Perfect for accessories and my hitch-mounted winch, which I use on the back or front.

It's a Universal Winch Plate from IronCross http://www.ironcrossautomotive.com/shop/ICWP.html although cheaper in other places. I tried to contact them multiple times, but never heard back from them directly.

Bought nicer grade 8 bolts and had to file two of the holes a little bigger to fit. Be sure to protect any hole expansion and exposed steel from rust.
Ford Bronco Front hitch mount for bike racks IMG_8560.JPG

Ford Bronco Front hitch mount for bike racks IMG_8459.JPG

Ford Bronco Front hitch mount for bike racks IMG_8576.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: