Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I first saw the trims and packages, the only thing I knew 100% was I wanted Sasquatch, if for no other reason that it comes with the Front Locker. From my understanding, IFS and installing a Locker later is not an easy task.

With that said, as I read more about people's take on Sasquatch and the oversized 35" tires and it's affect on MPG and such... I am starting to second guess myself.

So i'm wondering what you all think... would I be better off getting Sasquatch and possible downgrading the 35" to say 33" afterwards, or not get Sasquatch and look to the aftermarket for Lift kits and Front Lockers?

(How important is a Front Locker anyway)
Sponsored

JohnMB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Depends on what kind of action you think this thing is going to see. If you're not going to be wheeling it hard, you don't 'need' a front locker. If you get the Sas pack and then put 33's on it, you may still not be happy with the gas mileage as the gearing is going to be low for those tires.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did anybody read through the detailed Jalopnik article? It said non locker front differentials are aluminum, not cast iron like the locker version.

Unless its some hardcore lightweight racing 9", I dont really want an aluminum diff. I seem to remember some gms with crappy alloy diff troubles.

So you gotta get the lockers if you ever want a locker. That throws a wrench in some folks "I dont need a squatch, i will do it myself plans".

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

is a front locker really a must for general off roading. or something you only really need for rock crawling and extreme off roading?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Badlands model is it if you want that and no 35s

Reactions: nic

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good point.. I didn't think about the gearing... and for the Alum Diff... it's gotcha's like that, that makes me want to just forget about the whole thing until they actually come out and people start driving them and finding all the issues.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good point.. I didn't think about the gearing... and for the Alum Diff... it's gotcha's like that, that makes me want to just forget about the whole thing until they actually come out and people start driving them and finding all the issues.
Glad im a second year buyer!

is a front locker really a must for general off roading. or something you only really need for rock crawling and extreme off roading?
If you ever plan on seeing mud on a hill, or a wter crossing, or sand. You will wish you had one for those stuck times.
Badlands model is it if you want that and no 35s
I like 35s and the sasquatch suspension but dont need them as much as i need a manual. If they sort out the manual sasquatch deal, choices will get alot simpler for everyone.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you ever plan on seeing mud on a hill, or a water crossing, or sand. You will wish you had one for those stuck times.
but with a rear locker or even regular 4x4 with traction control, a normal trail you should be fine without one right? i know 35s are overkill for me, and i'll be sticking to regular trails. don't want to be damaging anything.

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I read that you should only use your front locker when you absolutely need it because it restricts your steering when it is engaged.

I’m totally new to all of this. Moving up from a Subaru Forester. Is this true?

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

but with a rear locker or even regular 4x4 with traction control, a normal trail you should be fine without one right? i know 35s are overkill for me, and i'll be sticking to regular trails. don't want to be damaging anything.
It depends what you mean by a normal trail. If you regularly have one wheel off the ground or cross difficult obstacles then you probably want a locker. I am pretty sure that Bronco includes computer-controlled braking to limit wheel slip and approximate a limited-slip differential when in 4x4 mode. That is probably more than sufficient for mild terrain.

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read that you should only use your front locker when you absolutely need it because it restricts your steering when it is engaged.

Yes, that is true. It is especially noticeable on solid surfaces such as sandstone. You will essentially be skidding some of the tires when turning. Hard on the tires and drivetrain. On soft dirt, it doesn't matter as much. But in general, it is only engaged for tricky obstacles. Lockers typically also disengage when you exceed 20mph or so because they can impair vehicle stability (e.g. rear lockers can force you to go straight even through you are trying to turn).

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The thing is that if you plan on going offroad or driving through a snowstorm or pulling a friend out of his backyard who got stuck hooking up his trailer, you will want it for that moment. As far as trails are concerned sometimes there is a obstacle that can be done without a locker but you have to use more power and speed to do it, which can risk leaving you stranded if you break something. Its not something you use all the time, but it is the difference between getting yourself unstuck and walking miles for help or digging for hours. I've done both and wished my rig was just a little more capable.

Oliverboots

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess a badlands with Sasquatch package and a second set of wheels with 33" A/T's. This way we get all goodies. Throw in the 33's for daily driving...gas mileage should not be that much of a difference.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you don’t want squatch, but want everything else, that’s the Badlands. 4.70 gears, upgraded front axle, front locker, sway bar disconnect, etc. with 33s instead of 35s. A lot of people would probably be better off going that route.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most will rarely ever NEED to engage the front locker. It is nice to have though when you do. For most off roading it is not necessary.
Sponsored