Front lockers, aftermarket? Disco bar?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are two key items that I see separating Black Diamond from Badlands ... lack of front lockers and a disconnecting way bar.

Anybody know of an aftermarket solution to these shortcomings? (Independent suspension? Anybody even doing that other than Ford with lockers?) It’s a lot of cash to bump up from BD to BL, and I don’t see me going hardcore off-road for a few years.

Could I upgrade later at a reasonable price?
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are two key items that I see separating Black Diamond from Badlands ... lack of front lockers and a disconnecting way bar.

Anybody know of an aftermarket solution to these shortcomings? (Independent suspension? Anybody even doing that other than Ford with lockers?) It’s a lot of cash to bump up from BD to BL, and I don’t see me going hardcore off-road for a few years.

Could I upgrade later at a reasonable price?
The sway bar part isn't that hard. Aftermarket will no doubt have affordable manual disco solutions (like are available for Jeep). You'll need to get out of the truck but how often do you see yourself needing to disco? Lockers will be more expensive. If you're handy doing your own wrenching you could save some bucks doing an install yourself otherwise it's going to run a few bucks for the parts and labor. This is where the value of being able to option Sasquatch provides value but if you don't want the rest of what that brings (suspension, oversize tires, etc.) it could be overkill for you. You need to weigh what you plan on doing and what you want to spend. Short answer, yes, you can add both a disco option and front lockers after the fact.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well the extra cash is also for five bigger tires and different wheels and a hydraulic disco.

I purchased a aftermarket electric selectable locker for my Jeep. Using the same gears (no regear necessary) it ran me $1000 for parts and labor for one locker and not covered by Jeep warranty.

There will be aftermarket stuff. And many will be better than OEM (think ARB, etc). There should be manual disconnects for $100ish.

But just think of all the many models of wranglers made each year only one model even has lockers. You may not even need it if your asking the question, (not trying to diss on you).

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well the extra cash is also for five bigger tires and different wheels and a hydraulic disco.

I purchased a aftermarket electric selectable locker for my Jeep. Using the same gears (no regear necessary) it ran me $1000 for parts and labor for one locker and not covered by Jeep warranty.

There will be aftermarket stuff. And many will be better than OEM (think ARB, etc). There should be manual disconnects for $100ish.

But just think of all the many models of wranglers made each year only one model even has lockers. You may not even need it if your asking the question, (not trying to diss on you).
No dis at all! I’m a complete Noob. This will be my first vehicle that’s not a FWD automatic tranny or 60s-80s clunker.

I had one decent FWD right before college, the Pontiac version of a Chevy Cavalier.

But really, never ever had an off road or even decent gravel road vehicle until looking at the Bronco.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The front diff that will have the locker is an iron-cased M210, whereas the non-locked will have an aluminum-cased M190. This is based on speculative information I read online, or how I interpret it anyhow.

I'm going to opt for the Sasquatch for many reason, but mostly because of the M210 iron cased diff. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse anyone.

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GM uses a locker in the M190 axle in the ZR2. But its kind of light duty, IMHO, for a locker unless the tires stay smaller. At least in the Ford version, though, the M190 differential is welded to the ring gear, so if you did swap it out later on for a locker or LSD, you'll also have to change out the ring & pinion gears. So, more cost, more labor. But maybe worthwhile if you do go off road much.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can disconnect the SB for free with a wrench and a ratchet and five minutes — SBD is a convenience feature, not an additional capability.

So it’s kind of a non-factor if you’re unsure of how extreme your trail rides will get. If you’re planning on getting into offroading, I’m sure you’ll work your way up to more challenging trails as time goes on— you likely won’t need to disconnect your SB right away. Plus, disconnecting your SB manually forces you to get under your machine and inspect for leaks, damage etc before you hit the trail. Not saying the SBD isn’t really nice, but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t have it.

Lockers, as mentioned above, are something that you probably don’t need if you’re not sure whether or not to get them. However, as was also mentioned above, they can be expensive to install, especially if you’re not doing it yourself. Budget around 2k for an install and parts. Also you’re getting the stronger cast iron diff with BL so it’s definitely something to consider, but is it worth the 7-ish thousand Dollar jump for a stronger diff and locker?

Honestly I don’t think it is for your purposes. Save yourself the cash, you can upgrade later if you’re finding yourself pushing your vehicle to its limits off-road.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But really, never ever had an off road or even decent gravel road vehicle until looking at the Bronco.
Here is a pic I took on trail. Open diffs (no lockers). You can do a lot with these new machines. BD is even more capable. You will enjoy being able to get off the paved roads in your truck and explore the sights many car owners never see.
Ford Bronco Front lockers, aftermarket?  Disco bar? A9EDF655-D587-4BA3-BB08-B13A38F7CEE1

If you look at that and say you would never do anything like that then you could easily save $$ and not consider front lockers. But they are sweet to have.

in 7 years of ownership I have had my locker activated less than 30 minutes total. But it gets me everywhere I want to go because I can use it. It’s not something you drive around with activated. Just use it when you need it.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interested to see a comparison of, say, 4Runner TRD Pro and BD or BB with rear locker. They may be equally matched.

also OP,don’t underestimate driving technique. Some people can do some amazing stuff with open diffs. Even though I’m putting my money on the M210, I would not bet against a good driver and an open M190.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Swaybar disconnect I would actually prefer and aftermarket manual method of Ford's hydraulic unit. Fewer parts and systems to worry about and maintain. The locker, I would 100% go with the factory unit. The aftermarket units are great but will end up costing more to install. https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/306s101-detroit-locker-no-spin-dana-spicer-m190-m210/
Plus labor. A differential install is not something that you can youtube and install yourself.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No dis at all! I’m a complete Noob. This will be my first vehicle that’s not a FWD automatic tranny or 60s-80s clunker.

I had one decent FWD right before college, the Pontiac version of a Chevy Cavalier.

This isn't anything against you personally, but my philosophy has always been...If someone has to ask if they need a locker, then 99.9% they do NOT need one. Those who do serious off-roading know when they need a locker. I have 2 vehicles with lockers and I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive used them in the last 2yrs and I run difficult trails and climb over rocks.

Lockers can actually do inexperienced people more harm in over-building confidence and just make the situation worse.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a pic I took on trail. Open diffs (no lockers). You can do a lot with these new machines. BD is even more capable. You will enjoy being able to get off the paved roads in your truck and explore the sights many car owners never see.
Ford Bronco Front lockers, aftermarket?  Disco bar? A9EDF655-D587-4BA3-BB08-B13A38F7CEE1

If you look at that and say you would never do anything like that then you could easily save $$ and not consider front lockers. But they are sweet to have.

in 7 years of ownership I have had my locker activated less than 30 minutes total. But it gets me everywhere I want to go because I can use it. It’s not something you drive around with activated. Just use it when you need it.
And I've done climbs like this with my lifted f150 towing my 3400lb offroad camper and never once engaged my rear locker, just left it in 4L and crawled up it. Again, why I say I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive engaged my lockers in both my truck and jeep in the last year.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And I've done climbs like this with my lifted f150 towing my 3400lb offroad camper and never once engaged my rear locker, just left it in 4L and crawled up it. Again, why I say I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive engaged my lockers in both my truck and jeep in the last year.
And it’s almost comical to me About how the B6G members talk about lockers and ordering them and how they post things when most have never been off road.

this is Not meant to be an insult to the OP. I am referring on many other post on this forum.

simple fact is peeps that never been off-road (seems like majority of prospective bronco owners fall into this categor) post things like they are experts. It forces me to not reply to many topics.

I love the guy that says 35” tires take soooooooo long to stop. He’s funny.

Mac11

First Edition
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3g Taco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

(Front) lockers and automatic sway bar disconnects are near and all but it’s completely possible to do a LOT of big stuff with with just a rear locker in an IFS Nissan.
Tire size, Axle strength, gearing and experience do come into play.

It sounds like by the time you have the experience there will be plenty of time
For us aftermarket developers to bring you upgrade solutions.

5BC3D1BA-0BAB-4599-9E9C-CB5F7A35AEF1.jpeg

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you don't have SFA, rear locker is all you really need.
Sponsored