tbrown1233

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in SC where my off-road time is primarily on red clay roads with a lot of ruts, mudholes and decent hills. I have managed with several Z71s most of my life but have certainly been stuck my fair share of times. Trying to decide if front lockers really make that big of a difference and I need to step up to a badlands or Sasquatch or if Iā€™ll be just fine with rear lockers and 33s or 35s on a black diamond?
Sponsored

Grave Digger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grave Digger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For thick/slick clay and ruts I would say a front locker would definitely be beneficial. 35s for sure if your Z71 was getting stuck considering the ruts and clay essentially turning your tires into slicks unless you spin the hell outta them.

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty much my exact thinking. (Northeast Ga) my previous F150s and Wrangler were 4x4 without lockers and I never got them stuck. Granted I wouldnā€™t do anything that I thought would leave me stranded. But Iā€™d like to adventure more with a Bronco; so Iā€™m stuck between Badlands and Black diamond. Or a Base with a harbor freight winch. LOL

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lockers and bigger tires will help. But on the other hand when you get stuck youā€™ll be really stuck. Lol

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be really interested to see how the "virtual" front locker works first.
Mudding works best with either really high wheel speed or really light weight.
Not getting the really light weight, so maybe a tuned 2.7 with some aggressive
tires might even work better than a real front locker (again assuming brake based LS
works really well)

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd be really interested to see how the "virtual" front locker works first.
Mudding works best with either really high wheel speed or really light weight.
Not getting the really light weight, so maybe a tuned 2.7 with some aggressive
tires might even work better than a real front locker (again assuming brake based LS
works really well)

I have experienced "e-locking" a couple of times in a couple of different vehicles, once in an I4 Tacoma and another in a V8 Chevy work truck. After each event I immediately searched for ways to turn that function OFF.

I can't speak for everyone's experiences, but in mine, the sudden drag on the spinning tire caused me to either lose enough velocity (even in the V8) or power (in the I4) to nearly become mired down.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my experience, it depends. For mud, momentum is essential. Once you stop going forward, locking in the front is only going to dig. It certainly doesn't hurt to have the front locker and lock in before hitting the mud, but it's not really for driving down dirt roads.

If it's an option and you can swing it, get it. At least that's one more tool you have if needed.

OP
OP

tbrown1233

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why he Definitely need a winch. Getting stuck Once on the way home is grounds for a winch purchase.
No doubt! Shouldā€™ve added that to my post - if front lockers not really that beneficial the. I have extra money for a winch and other accessories. Thanks everyone.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Spinning wheels on an independent front suspension axle with a locker is a recipe for disaster, even with the bigger M210 axle. The solid rear axle with a locker can take a beating. But again I wouldnā€™t take a locked independent axle mudding.

Front locker is great for precision driving over rocks, not so great when the tires are spinning fast and one tire suddenly gains traction.
Just my opinion, I know people will do it anyways and many will probably do just fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tbrown1233

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Spinning wheels on an independent front suspension axle with a locker is a recipe for disaster, even with the bigger M210 axle. The solid rear axle with a locker can take a beating. But again I wouldnā€™t take a locked independent axle mudding.

Front locker is great for precision driving over rocks, not so great when the tires are spinning fast and one tire suddenly gains traction.
Just my opinion, I know people will do it anyways and many will probably do just fine.
Disaster meaning damage to front or difficult to control?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Disaster meaning damage to front or difficult to control?
Usually diffs blown to bits, dependent on tire size, if your running tiny 33ā€s youā€ll probably be fine, but I donā€™t know anywhere you would be able to get through with 33s anyway.
Maybe 35s and for sure 37+ shouldnā€™t be spinning fast with a locked front.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In mud go in with the rear locker on and spinning tires If you get stuck use the front locker to get you out reverse first. Then get another run at it with the front off again. Alot of times mudding is about clearing the hole a bit. I used to always send buddies with smaller tires and no winch in first, pull em out when they get stuck, Then blast through after they cleared half the rut.

It also looks like front locker will be optional without sasquatch on the Black Diamond.Thats what Im hoping for.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in SC where my off-road time is primarily on red clay roads with a lot of ruts, mudholes and decent hills. I have managed with several Z71s most of my life but have certainly been stuck my fair share of times. Trying to decide if front lockers really make that big of a difference and I need to step up to a badlands or Sasquatch or if Iā€™ll be just fine with rear lockers and 33s or 35s on a black diamond?
It's better to have it and not need it , than to need it and and not have it. That's the beauty of a locker, it acts like and open differential when you don't need it.
I know this is rocks but it shows the difference between moving and not moving. (listen when the spotter calls for "front locker" at 39 seconds)

OP
OP

tbrown1233

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In mud go in with the rear locker on and spinning tires If you get stuck use the front locker to get you out reverse first. Then get another run at it with the front off again. Alot of times mudding is about clearing the hole a bit. I used to always send buddies with smaller tires and no winch in first, pull em out when they get stuck, Then blast through after they cleared half the rut.

It also looks like front locker will be optional without sasquatch on the Black Diamond.Thats what Im hoping for.
Why are you not wanting the sasquatch?
Sponsored