Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've seen the middle section (4-door) can be removed by itself and the front section (both) can be removed, but can you just leave the front section/s on with no other hardtop pieces to look like other Bronco gens?

I assume so on the 4-door if you can take out the middle only, but I couldn't find confirmation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The middle section was only removed for show, it can't be driven like that. The panels over the driver and passenger seats need that middle panel to seat into. Without it, those panels would be flapping in the breeze.
I'm looking for that thread, because it gave the impression that it could be driven with the middle section out.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From the interior shots I’ve seen, You have 4 attachments for each front piece (2 front, 1 side, and 1 rear). Removing the back (or middle on 4DR) still leaves 6 points of attachment. So, maybe it could work. Who wants to be the guinea pig? ?

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the interior shots I’ve seen, You have 4 attachments for each front piece (2 front, 1 side, and 1 rear). Removing the back (or middle on 4DR) still leaves 6 points of attachment. So, maybe it could work. Who wants to be the guinea pig? ?
It's not a deal-breaker if I can't do it, but I hope it's a possibility.

Alternatively, I could try and fab up some cross brace. If it's a standard option, however, I think the aftermarket might have a soft top for just the rear (2-door) for emergencies due to rain. Or just a mesh net cover?

Added to the list of unsolved Bronco mysteries.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was under the impression from all the shots of the latches that it works in any configuration. I would roll with the rear shell off quite a bit I think.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean, on my Jeep at least I would personally be ok with driving with just the freedom panels at slow speeds. The clamps on the front are pretty strong. Not sure how bronco would be exactly but it might be ok.

JerseyRuss

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was under the impression from all the shots of the latches that it works in any configuration. I would roll with the rear shell off quite a bit I think.
I'm hoping you can pop the rear shell off and ride around with front row(2), 2nd row panels in place. Has anyone found out for sure yet. I believe I saw video of a Bronco riding the Rubicon trail with just the front seat hard panels in place. Would be great if you can keep the 2nd row seating panels in place as well.

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm hoping you can pop the rear shell off and ride around with front row(2), 2nd row panels in place. Has anyone found out for sure yet. I believe I saw video of a Bronco riding the Rubicon trail with just the front seat hard panels in place. Would be great if you can keep the 2nd row seating panels in place as well.
They're really teasing us with the low-speed driving like that. If Ford smartly engineered it to run at HWY speeds like that or also with the mid-section for you 4-door'ers, then they've got a killer feature! (y)

JerseyRuss

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They're really teasing us with the low-speed driving like that. If Ford smartly engineered it to run at HWY speeds like that or also with the mid-section for you 4-door'ers, then they've got a killer feature! (y)
OK, so officially you can not do this... damn, was really looking to do this.... We have a wrangler dual top... and usually just run it around with the doors off, soft top cover on with back and back side windows out. Was trying to avoid getting dual top on the bronco, especially now since so expensive ($3700 ?? hoping that's a mistake... wrangler dual top $2300)

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see why not... The 2-door can do it, I'd ASSUME that the 4-door is similar with latching mechanisms.

Ford Bronco Front-only Hardtop Configuration? 2021-bronco-rubicon-trail-11-
Ford Bronco Front-only Hardtop Configuration? 2021 Ford Bronco Rubicon Trail 1

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, so officially you can not do this... damn, was really looking to do this.... We have a wrangler dual top... and usually just run it around with the doors off, soft top cover on with back and back side windows out. Was trying to avoid getting dual top on the bronco, especially now since so expensive ($3700 ?? hoping that's a mistake... wrangler dual top $2300)
I'm assuming you can do it, but I haven't seen anything official except the Ford guys doing it on the trail all the time.

I also think the 4-door could run with just the fronts, but not sure if it can run with fronts and the mid-section, but it would be nice.

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm assuming you can do it, but I haven't seen anything official except the Ford guys doing it on the trail all the time.

I also think the 4-door could run with just the fronts, but not sure if it can run with fronts and the mid-section, but it would be nice.
hopefully there's some side clips/hand tighten bolts that tie the front and mid sections into the roll bars to keep them secure on there own

OP
OP
Squatch

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hopefully there's some side clips/hand tighten bolts that tie the front and mid sections into the roll bars to keep them secure on there own
There are and a pic exists somewhere on this forum. The debate now is whether or not they are meant to hold at HWY speed or not. They look sturdy enough to me, but Jeepers say they can't do it with their's and I say Ford's building the Bronco to beat the Wrangler not match it.

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are and a pic exists somewhere on this forum. The debate now is whether or not they are meant to hold at HWY speed or not. They look sturdy enough to me, but Jeepers say they can't do it with their's and I say Ford's building the Bronco to beat the Wrangler not match it.
wrangler's freedom top has 2 hand tighten bolts that tie it into their cross bar between front/rear seats, but I think you need to have the back section in place to tighten up bolts properly. Was designed for front removal only, not the opposite. I do hope Ford designed the hard top for all panels to be kept on independently of each other.
Sponsored