Sponsored

Front / Rear Locker and Sway Bar Disconnect -- need for 3 functions to be separate?

Luterdan

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Arcadia, VW Tiguan, Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Is there a need for all 3 of these features to be separate? Real question is, when you are on a trail and you start to lose traction or get into a tough situation, do you take time to say, I need to enable or disable X? or are you better off, just hitting all 3 switches and saying F-it, and the bronco will make it thru whatever. From the demos I've seen, they tend to start with front, then do rear, then do sway bar, but if you have the most flexibility with all 3, why not just do all 3 to begin with??? newer off-roader here, still waiting for my bronco.
Sponsored

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I've driven, just turn to goat mode to mud/rut or whatever terrain your in and the Bronco will figure it out for you. if your doing it manually, most of the time having the rear locker engaged works fine, front lockers will help but will also kill your turning radius. The disconnect not really needed unless you need the flex. Once you get used to it all you don't really think about it as you just tap the button on the dash and keep going, it becomes muscle memory.

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some of the fun and enjoyment some folks get is the talent/skill it takes and doing some of the things with as few features used as possible.

OP
OP
Luterdan

Luterdan

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Arcadia, VW Tiguan, Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Some of the fun and enjoyment some folks get is the talent/skill it takes and doing some of the things with as few features used as possible.
Interesting.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You absolutely need those features separate.

Sway Bar disconnect has it's place but can increase roll in off camber situations, which makes you more likely to roll the vehicle. It absolutely helps when you need flex though. I use it constantly.

Front lockers should be used sparingly as it drastically increases turning radius as you should really never turn the wheel to it's limits with front lockers engaged.

Using front lockers when either tire could lose and then rapidly gain traction is a great way to snap your steering or blow up your transfer case or tie rod components.

Rear lockers are generally safe on slippery surfaces and should be the locker of choice for most beginner to intermediate skill level drivers.

The front locker can get you into trouble, so it's important to understand it's capabilities and limits. Use it as little as possible until you do. That button is by far the most likely to leave you with broken parts.

When do you use front lockers? When your rear tires are both on a slippery surface and fail to bite but at least one front tire has a firm grip. Engage 4L, Front locker, put the transmission in manual and lock it into first gear. Baby the throttle and let the torque pull you up and over the obstical.

Used correctly, front lockers are a great tool to have and you shouldn't fear it.. but it really is used on a case by case basis and shouldn't be the first thing you try.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is there a need for all 3 of these features to be separate? Real question is, when you are on a trail and you start to lose traction or get into a tough situation, do you take time to say, I need to enable or disable X? or are you better off, just hitting all 3 switches and saying F-it, and the bronco will make it thru whatever. From the demos I've seen, they tend to start with front, then do rear, then do sway bar, but if you have the most flexibility with all 3, why not just do all 3 to begin with??? newer off-roader here, still waiting for my bronco.
The sway bar disconnect gives you a smother ride over bumps so there is reason to use it with out even being stuck.
One of my friends with the sway bar disconnect, turns it off right when he gets to the start of the trail.
Sponsored