Sponsored

Front Sway Bar Disconnect necessary for an overlanding Bronco build?

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is a front swaybar disconnect really necessary for an overland Bronco build? I am debating whether or not to get a BadSquatch or save money and get a BaseSquatch instead.
Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not necessary but an added feature to have in your bag of tools. You could do 99.9% of your overlanding travels without it being needed. Primarily used for added articulation rock crawling.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure the Bronco is the best for overlanding. Several other capable rigs available for just overlanding.
The concept revealed for overlanding looked WAY to low for true overlanding.
I'm sure it'll be fine, but do a lot more research before picking your rig.

Overlanding is basically back road camping. Sway disco is not necessary.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Overlanding? Not rock crawling?

Absolutely not necessary.
I agree it’s not necessary, but it’s nice to have. If you overland a lot and play off road, you will use it sometimes/occasionally, and maybe just because it is there. It’s a cool technology to have.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Reminder that you can disconnect the SB without having the sway bar disco feature on badlands. It takes a wrench, ratchet and 5 minutes. The swaybar disco is just an added feature, not an added capability. Yes it’s convenient, but does not allow you to do anything extra.

For overlanding, you’re generally not crawling for a few reasons: “overlanding” aka car camping is more about hitting light trails, camping, and seeing beautiful backcountry — your vehicle setup is a means to experience the outdoors. Consequently, the object isn’t to throw yourself into the most gnarly trail you can find. Sure you can run into these types of trails but you’ll work yourself up to it.

And in the event you truly need the extra articulation, you can disconnect the SB manually. It’s extremely easy.

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but don’t waste 8k extra on a BL for a convenience feature.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not want to be rock crawling with all of that overland stuff on board. You should be able to get to whatever dispersed camping site or similar camping without needing to disconnect the stabilizer bar. Power to you if you are willing to try that but I know I won't be doing anything like that.

If you are truly looking for an Overland specific trim but still want access to all of the available options, you should check out the OBX.

simpleBO

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me is is absolutely necessary for anyone who offroads.

It makes the ride on almost any terrain much smoother. Especially on dirt roads with potholes, ruts, and washboard.

It smoothens up the ride quality so much that I would honestly never consider having a connected sway bar when offroading.

Get manual connects. Cheap and easy.

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How much actual articulation does it add on the Bronco? I have been reading more about this lately, out of curiosity and seems some of off roaders are saying it isn't really worth the bother. I have no knowledge of this myself, but is this old wisdom that is not all that applicable to these Bronco's?

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much actual articulation does it add on the Bronco? I have been reading more about this lately, out of curiosity and seems some of off roaders are saying it isn't really worth the bother. I have no knowledge of this myself, but is this old wisdom that is not all that applicable to these Bronco's?
Sometimes an inch more articulation means stuck or not. Sooooo. All relative.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the only requirement for overlanding was an Instagram account?? 🤷‍♂️

Lockers in the Sasquatch package can overcome less articulation and move you forward. My G has a solid front axle, but also a pretty stiff ant-sway bar; I'm always pulling a front wheel off the ground. But with 3 lockers, I can usually find traction.

Also, manual disconnects will be available. Manual disconnect may even offer less resistance than the hydraulic bypass disconnect.

I'm getting Badlands because I'm lazy and don't want to get out and lay in the dirt to disconnect.