Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good info, but I question the study's overall outcome. My current daily driver is a Civic, which displays MPG, and where I live in Texas there are many 70 MPH tollways/highways. When I am traveling at 70-80 MPH I have an MPG of ~32, versus slower driving which is ~27-29.

That is just me though. I know there are hundreds of variables that can be taken into account.
Your Civic is shaped like an arrow compared to the brick shaped Bronco. Lot more wind resistance
Sponsored

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for that. I agree the ecoboosts are thirsty. If you talk to the F150 guys that tow, the 5.0 always does better than the 3.5 eco on fuel
Agree on the fuel mileage; however, my 3.5 tows like nothing is back there. Low end torque makes all the difference in the world.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm also watching fuel economy reports like a hawk. I get it, it's not aerodynamic and it's a box on wheels and gear ratios but I'm really hoping my 2.7 badlands without sasquatch will be able to be in the low 20s at 65 or so in Michigan's up.

I'm coming from a diesel (2.8L 4cyl) colorado zr2. Its huge, not aerodynamic, longer, heavier and has wrangler duratracs on it and can average in the 30s at 55-65mph.
I'm watching the fuel reports closely as well. Being on a very tight budget and close to retirement every penny counts. And ya I know I could get a Maverick or other hybrid but I love Broncos and Jeeps so if every penny goes to gas so be it. I just need to get to that remote fishing spot.

With that being said I am hoping to squeeze out 20 MPG driving back roads at 50-60 MPH. I squeeze out 23.5 MPG average in my super big and heavy 2019 Silverado Double Cab 4 X 4. I drive light footed like a feather on the gas pedal. I stay away from the interstates as even though the speed limit is 70, most people driving "slow" and go 80 and the rest go 80-100. Huge, lifted trucks and diesels drive 100- so much mass to move at that speed.

And your diesel Colorado- WOW- the MPG. I almost bought one instead of my 2019 Silverado. I drove a used one with only 5K and bottom line price was 44K. I absolutely loved it. It was too steep for me, given I got my Silverado for only 28K. I did an analysis of the MPG versus the price over time and the extra $$ was not worth it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm watching the fuel reports closely as well. Being on a very tight budget and close to retirement every penny counts. And ya I know I could get a Maverick or other hybrid but I love Broncos and Jeeps so if every penny goes to gas so be it. I just need to get to that remote fishing spot.

With that being said I am hoping to squeeze out 20 MPG driving back roads at 50-60 MPH. I squeeze out 23.5 MPG average in my super big and heavy 2019 Silverado Double Cab 4 X 4. I drive light footed like a feather on the gas pedal. I stay away from the interstates as even though the speed limit is 70, most people driving "slow" and go 80 and the rest go 80-100. Huge, lifted trucks and diesels drive 100- so much mass to move at that speed.

And your diesel Colorado- WOW- the MPG. I almost bought one instead of my 2019 Silverado. I drove a used one with only 5K and bottom line price was 44K. I absolutely loved it. It was too steep for me, given I got my Silverado for only 28K. I did an analysis of the MPG versus the price over time and the extra $$ was not worth it.
Same for me. I have a 600 mile drive to our vacation home and fuel economy matters. Then when there use the Bronco for access to fishing and camping in remote lakes. Gas is already $3.60 in our small mountain town

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good info, but I question the study's overall outcome. My current daily driver is a Civic, which displays MPG, and where I live in Texas there are many 70 MPH tollways/highways. When I am traveling at 70-80 MPH I have an MPG of ~32, versus slower driving which is ~27-29.

That is just me though. I know there are hundreds of variables that can be taken into account.
What engine/trans civic? I can believe 32 at 80mph, but getting sub 30 when going slower doesn't make any sense. Almost every car will get their best MPG driving a steady ~40-50mph.

If your car has an instantaneous mpg readout you should use cruise control at various speeds and watch it.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eco mode won't do shit on the highway. All its doing is softening initial throttle opening as far as I know.
That’s what I have noticed as well. It softens the powerband when accelerating to keep you out of the turboboost. At steady speeds it makes no difference imo.

tedsnephew

Black Diamond
First Name
Blaise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just the Bronco!
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anybody got any data yet on fuel economy at 70-80 mph? If so what trim level and rear diff?

Thanks
Roundtrip to work and back (80 miles going 70 +/- 5mph) I got 21.3 mpg according to the computer. 2 door, 2.7, Black Diamond (4.46 rear axle ratio) with roof rack. Used ECO mode but it doesn’t make much of a difference when you’re not accelerating.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s what I have noticed as well. It softens the powerband when accelerating to keep you out of the turboboost. At steady speeds it makes no difference imo.
Yup... Likely shortens the shifts too, which again, as you mentioned, won't do squat on the highway.

Utley06

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX Sassy Style
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At 75mph and above, in flat North Texas, I'm getting 13.5 MPG in normal mode .. ECO mode doesn't offer much help. Maybe 14 MPG

2.3l
Outerbanks Sasquatch 4 door

It's absolutely garbage @ HWY speeds. Really pisses me off!!! I wish I would have purchased the 2.7l.. The 2.3 offers plenty of power but why they hell would you get it if you're getting 13.5 MPG..

**I can get 16-19 MPG @ 60 MPH

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At 75mph and above, in flat North Texas, I'm getting 13.5 MPG in normal mode .. ECO mode doesn't offer much help. Maybe 14 MPG

2.3l
Outerbanks Sasquatch 4 door

It's absolutely garbage @ HWY speeds. Really pisses me off!!! I wish I would have purchased the 2.7l.. The 2.3 offers plenty of power but why they hell would you get it if you're getting 13.5 MPG..

**I can get 16-19 MPG @ 60 MPH
2.7 non-squatch OBX in sport mode with 33.5" tires = 16.5-17.5 MPG (1st 1000 miles it was more like 13.5 MPG). 80-85 MPH cruising speed on I-10 through the hill country - flat and level it's between 17-18 MPG depending on wind.

So if you are in the breakin period, it gets better.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You won't get any meaningful answers with your MPH range. It takes just under 50%* more power to maintain 80 MPH over 70 MPH based just on the increase in drag. that is going to generate a whole lot more fuel consumption even if the specific efficiency of the engine is better in the RPM range.

Pick a smaller range to get a closer grip on what reality will be.

*(149% of the power needed at 70 MPH)
Sponsored