First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know it's hard to know for sure right now because Ford hasn't released any information yet, but I guess this is more about gear ratio and tire size.

How much of a difference are the gear ratio and tire size going to make on the Badlands vs the Outer Banks? This will be my daily driver so I am concerned about fuel economy.

Outer Banks Non- Squatch: 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio with P255/70 R18 All-Terrain A/T Tires (32's)

Badlands Non - Squatch: 4.46 Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio with LT285/70 R17 All-Terrain A/T Tires (33's)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re concerned about fuel economy get a Prius. This vehicle isn’t built for fuel economy. That being said all trims will likely be similar based on engine choice.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re concerned about fuel economy get a Prius. This vehicle isn’t built for fuel economy. That being said all trims will likely be similar based on engine choice.
Ford Bronco Fuel Economy of OBX vs Badlands 1613426932438

OP
OP
MattSpatt

MattSpatt

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The classic useless answer, move along!

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

take a look at the Ranger Tremor penalty. Armor, bigger tires

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its shaped like a barn door, don't expect over 20mpg.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We all have our own idea of what good fuel economy is, so a question like this is very subjective. The difference between the two models is probably less than the difference in driving styles of individual drivers. If you want 30+mpg, you will be disappointed in both models. If you are OK with 18mpg, you will be happy with either.

I've owned extremes in mpg, from 6mpg to 45mpg. I just fill it up when it gets empty and don't worry about it. Either drive or don't. At the end of the day mpg is not what drives my vehicle decision.

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've played around with watching the real time fuel economy display on my F150 in different gears, specifically to see what difference it makes in fuel economy when running at different rpm's with the engine under the same load. I don't have numbers to quote here, but the difference in fuel economy from running in 6th(top) gear then dropping to 5th is quite negligible. Insignificant enough that when towing, I don't think twice about locking the transmission out of 6th, and making the entire trip in 5th gear. All that to say this....base your decision on other parameters. Fuel economy is gonna be too close in most cases and uncertain anyways. Theres waay more significant things to stress about when deciding your build

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The classic useless answer, move along!
Bigger wider tire. Higher stance(tires and lift). Badlands loses.
How much, I have no idea.
Folks always fail in understanding how much a lift will penalize them on any of these lifted rigs. Increasing the frontal area means you're trying to punch a bigger hole through the air.
I'm uncertain which penalty is larger, the increased rolling resistance of larger tires or increased drag of a lift.

Gearing will be a minimal factor, another area for many fails.
If I had a dime for every comment along the lines of "I know the Squatch will get worse mileage because of the gearing..."
No, it won't, not because of the gearing. The 4.70 Squatch geariung is actually optimal for the 315/70-17's.
I ran the gearing charts for all of these combinations and in top gear with the Ford matched tire size and gearing, the difference at 70 MPH is literally a few RPM.
Ford has this nailed.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"If you're thinking fuel efficiency is a good reason to go with this smaller truck, you're going to want to think again. Partly because of its larger tires and blockier profile, the Ranger Tremor only manages a straight 19 miles per gallon across the board (city, highway and combined) according to EPA estimates. That's a surprisingly stiff comedown from the standard Ranger 4x4 XLT's 20 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined."

From CNET's review of the ranger tremor

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One might say it is also useless to continue asking about mpg when no information has been released about it
Unless they're just posting questions for likes lol

I could care less about gas mileage as long as it's got a large gas tank and room for gas cans!

Let's just get the freakin things delivered and worry about the rest later... and if you want good mileage then no worries, they got Eco mode and all you gotta do is drive slow, draft bigger vehicles and shift into neutral on the down hill!
Sponsored