Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The more time I spend on this forum, the less sure I get of my decisions. One day I'm set on the ManLux BL, the next I'm on a Squatched OBX, but then also I remind myself that even the tires on the non-squatch OBX are bigger than what I'm rocking right now...

1613629594434.png
And therein lies the problem.

Get away from the forum for a while. You've been looking at Badlands, Wildtraks, FEs, and sasquatched-everything-elses for so long that anything smaller than 32.7" looks teeny.

After measuring way too many random truck and SUV tires in parking lots, comparing them with the size of the vehicle, and then looking at the OBX, I'm convinced that those 32.1" tires will be plenty big enough for my needs, at least for the next couple of years.

If I decide to take up rock crawling I'll trade up. I just don't see that happening this year or next.
Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spot on. There isn't going to be some massive benefit with one over the other. What will matter: SAS or not, 2 or 4 doors, 2.3 or 2.7. That is about it.
"If you're thinking fuel efficiency is a good reason to go with this smaller truck, you're going to want to think again. Partly because of its larger tires and blockier profile, the Ranger Tremor only manages a straight 19 miles per gallon across the board (city, highway and combined) according to EPA estimates. That's a surprisingly stiff comedown from the standard Ranger 4x4 XLT's 20 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined."

From CNET's review of the ranger tremor
I think adding bigger tires and armor from the ranger up to the tremor demonstrates that their may be a large penalty. As in 5 MPG on the highway. That's over a 20% loss.

Yes there is regearing and possibly less of an engine strain with the 2.7, but still. The data is there, on a ford vehicle, with similar upgrades to a BL from OBX.

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The easiest way to compare would be to look at Jeep's real numbers. On the Jeep forums, a stock Rubicon is getting about 18-19 combined and a stock Sahara or Sport gets maybe 20 -21 combined (same engines) I think you will see a similar penalty with Bronco between standard BL and Standard OB. Maybe 1- 2 MPG difference, if engines are the same. If you go with 35s that will be a bit more penalty - Jeep guys with that size tire are dropping another 3 or so in combined MPG.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My question to you is " How much fun are you going to have with whatever mpg you get with your new Bronco? Not to mention all the looks it's going to get! It comes down to how many "smiles to miles" you get!😁
Sponsored