First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Technically it does have straps. The tank skids, if equipped, use the same mounting point. good example of why it pays to research before ripping bolts out. old days we looked at diagrams in chiltons, etc., now you type in bronco skid plate removal......
Only having metal skid plates on engine/trans in previous vehicles that are easily removable for cleaning and maintenance - it wasn’t even a consideration that a component meant for protection was holding in a vital and hazardous tank of fuel and not just shielding it.
Sponsored

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Technically it does have straps. The tank skids, if equipped, use the same mounting point. good example of why it pays to research before ripping bolts out. old days we looked at diagrams in chiltons, etc., now you type in bronco skid plate removal......
I installed the OEM skid plate kit. The instructions have you support the tank, remove the straps and install the skid. The skid takes the place of the straps. Instructions actually said to throw the straps away. I have a spare set if anyone wants them

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So…went to remove the skid for some winter prep cleaning and undercoating - unbolted the skid bolts one at a time…and the whole tank drops! Am I crazy to think/expect there to be some straps or something holding it in place?

Of course I JUST filled the tank this morning too.
How is it connected with fuel lines and electrical harnesses? Did they come undone or did anything break?

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I installed the OEM skid plate kit. The instructions have you support the tank, remove the straps and install the skid. The skid takes the place of the straps. Instructions actually said to throw the straps away. I have a spare set if anyone wants them
All the aftermarket instructions leave the straps, that I have seen. Would have assumed the factory did as well. Keeps the plates separated from the tank. Pretty stupid to leave the tank resting on the skids, especially the low quality oem ones.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How is it connected with fuel lines and electrical harnesses? Did they come undone or did anything break?
Luckily it was just on Quickjacks and I was under it with a buddy nearby. It just dropped an inch or two until we could bolt it back up.

Sponsored

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Luckily it was just on Quickjacks and I was under it with a buddy nearby. It just dropped an inch or two until we could bolt it back up.
In retrospect I should have found a way to robustly hang it on a pair of wires before bolting the plate back up instead of removing them when I was done installing it

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In retrospect I should have found a way to robustly hang it on a pair of wires before bolting the plate back up instead of removing them when I was done installing it
Yeah, I’m going to conjure up a way to strap it in. I want to be able to remove the skid and get any mud, sand, debris out of there so it doesn’t rust from the underside out.
Sponsored