Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah. 0.6 MPG gain going from 87 octane to 93 octane. Cost per mile doesn't seem to be there, and around here 93 octane is rare.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

even out here in CA the difference between filling up with regular to premium isn't all that much, I only put premium in. But I also don't have a commute, nor would this truck be what I'd use for commuting more than a couple miles. I have the 2.7, hope feeding it the good stuff will keep it in a good mood and not drop and valves šŸ™ƒ

But really, savings aren't really substantial, so why go for the lower grade anyway?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ā€œElectric vehicles are decades away from showing up en masse at country-music concerts, county fairs, and Tractor Supply parking lots. True go-anywhere autonomy will prove as elusive as finding satisfying vegan bacon.ā€

Finally someone admitted it. Too bad they chose to be selective. Apparently only rednecks tow shit.

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

even out here in CA the difference between filling up with regular to premium isn't all that much, I only put premium in. But I also don't have a commute, nor would this truck be what I'd use for commuting more than a couple miles. I have the 2.7, hope feeding it the good stuff will keep it in a good mood and not drop and valves šŸ™ƒ

But really, savings aren't really substantial, so why go for the lower grade anyway?
Exactly, in CA there isnā€™t much of a premium for premium because itā€™s already so expensive to refine regular to CA emission standards. Eg: $4.65 vs $4.95 for 87 vs 91 is only a 6% difference, might as well get 91. In Texas regular is about $3.20 vs $3.80 for premium or a not insignificant 19% difference. Our premium is 93 octane though.

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ā€œElectric vehicles are decades away from showing up en masse at country-music concerts, county fairs, and Tractor Supply parking lots. True go-anywhere autonomy will prove as elusive as finding satisfying vegan bacon.ā€

Finally someone admitted it. Too bad they chose to be selective. Apparently only rednecks tow shit.
Exactly. My friend and I have always argued the future of electric. When the cyber truck and other EVs popped up they thought they won.

Not yet.... I think these things might be useful for city deliveries or suburban life as a car with more cargo room; but anyone who lives in the country, or actually uses the truck as a truck, will be very disappointed (or stranded) until the ranges improve quite a bit more.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

After hearing the hype about all of the ā€œcleanā€ electric cars and how GM is planning on being 100% electric cars in 10 years, I wondered about the energy aspect of all this. I compared daily miles driven (on gasoline) at the average US fleet MPG (25 MPG) to the electric car energy consumption of KWH/100 miles (Kilowatt hours per 100 miles). Though the KWH/100 miles (efficiency ratings of electric cars) can currently vary from 30 to 90, the results are stunning. To make a long story short, even to convert half of the US fleet to electric, A. Weā€™re going to have to build a shit load of power plants, or B. The price of electricity, which is already in short supply in many areas, is going to go through the roof.

Electric cars are perfect for daily city commutes. Unfortunately, the time when most people will want to charge them (when they get home from work) also corresponds to the peak electrical demand period.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

An Electric ride may give off fewer emissions but IMO, it isnā€™t truly ā€œgreenā€ unless that vehicle, or the garage it sits in, have solar panels attached. Unless itā€™s in a solar or wind grid, Itā€™s likely burning somebodyā€™s coal or gas somewhere. Less, yes but still needs a break even.
Iā€™m a long way from being a redneck but I have been using true 4WD to get to remote locations for work to film for decades. There arenā€™t enough charge stations for me yet.
But this was about gasā€¦ I try to keep 91 or 93 top tier premium in the tank and track a solid 2mpg difference over 87 octane on long trips.
Unfortunately, I have to dodge quite a few E-85 and 10% Ethanol stations in transit from Midwest to mountains.
Lots of GasBuddy clicks to schedule stops when off the main Interstate corridors.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. My friend and I have always argued the future of electric. When the cyber truck and other EVs popped up they thought they won.

Not yet.... I think these things might be useful for city deliveries or suburban life as a car with more cargo room; but anyone who lives in the country, or actually uses the truck as a truck, will be very disappointed (or stranded) until the ranges improve quite a bit more.
Agree, but itā€™s rapidly getting there. Solid state batteries could be the game changer. In rural areas itā€™s still a tough sell though, as the charging infrastructure needs to ramp up just as quick. Toyota, VW, and smaller start ups are all turning to solid state with range around 500 miles. Make a fun capable truck with that kind of range, and it may start to upset the market. BTW, Iā€™m a petrol headā€¦ I just donā€™t think electric vehicles at this point are fun. Change that, and Iā€™m in.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Real life towing with a Tesla gets you 100-125 miles between charges, I would expect a F150 Lightning to do a little better but for long distance towing diesel is best

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

hovers around a 20% increase in the mid-west from 87 to 91/93. Torque is within a few percentage points, power is up with the higher, but only for the times you are moving your tach above 4500 RPM, which is a tiny percentage of the time. Having to increase fuel costs by 20% for that vanishingly small time while cruising probably over 99% of the miles driven seems foolish. If the engine will not be damaged, the lowest Octane you can run is always the most logical choice.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.