First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Like the issues with the MIC and Valves, seems like the Fuel pump problems are more than just one here and there. But unlike the other two, I have not seen a thread specificall to discuss this.

Thought maybe I'd start one and see if we can get some attention drawn to this.

For those that don't know because it has been buried inside of other threads, people are being stopped dead in their tracks bevause their fuel pumps just stop. One guy didn't even make it home from the dealer.

What I'm unclear about is if this is limited to the 2.7 or also affects the 2.3? (And if not, what's special or different about the 2.7 fuel pump)? Sound like this is the low pressue pump in the tank (which makes for a very hard trail fix).

Any aftermarket pumps?
I think we will see more of these types of issues Ford had to get parts from wherever they could which means standards and QC were lowered to get the parts they needed just my guess but seems reasonable to me
Sponsored

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This right here is disgusting. Ford honestly should be ashamed that’s ridiculous from cheap parts of valves and tie rods to horrible install of windshield and child locks.

I plan on ordering and waiting but I went to a different local dealer (interstate ford) to test drive a used model big bend just to see how it drives considering I’m planning to shell out about 70k for the Wildtrak. They had it marked up 25k from the new price, and refused to allow me to test drive until I agreed to buy it.

Their excuse was it loses resale by adding more miles on it… really 5 miles will lose value from something with 25k ADM that already has 2k miles on it. my guess is they were afraid it would break or knew it had issues hence the giant sticker “as is no dealer warranty”.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agreed! The big word here is IF

But do you think bronco6g cares if a dozen pumps fail?

Bronco6g math

12 = ALL

If a few fuel pump failures are an isolated occurrence, we can chalk them up to supplier issues. If we start seeing pumps failures at a higher frequency, then it's a quality/design problem.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How many is an issue? Already around 10 or so reported on B6G, and the majority of Bronco owners are not represented here.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
maybe there is an issue BUT maybe not. We will never know unless Ford issues a recall
Or the NHTSA pushes Ford to issue one as it could happen with the 2.7L, which is more likely than Ford voluntarily issuing a recall from the kindness of their heart.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
why do you think it is a QC issue?

For 1 .. the pump prob comes from an vendor and how do you exactly determine it will fail until you use it. I guess you could randomly take a few pumps and test it BUT I don't think it would be a real world test

I think we will see more of these types of issues Ford had to get parts from wherever they could which means standards and QC were lowered to get the parts they needed just my guess but seems reasonable to me

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wrong. @CUPRA was driving down the freeway when his failed.
This.

I filled up my tank in Oklahoma and headed home, 2.5 hours into the drive south to Texas, with cruise control on. No problems at all. I went to accelerate into an express lane, which automatically turns off the cruise control when pressing the accelerator, cruise control disengaged, but I then had no power at all. I was pressing the accelerator and no response.

I had to pull out of the express lane entrance, across 4 lanes (total) of traffic to the shoulder, all with only the ability to coast.

Once at the side of the road, I had battery power (all screens functioned as they should), but no response from the engine. Battery warning light, auto stop start light flashing and check engine light. I took photos at the time, and I had a 1/4 tank of gas left, as displayed on the screen. Tried restarting the vehicle and the starter would turn over, but the engine would not. No notifications in the Ford Pass App.

Waited 3 hours in 100º+ temps for a tow truck to get us to the dealership.

On Friday (3 days later) the dealership tried to start the Bronco, and I got a notification in the Ford Pass App that there was an issue with the low pressure fuel pump and it would stop the vehicle from starting, and another warning about the same thing that the engine would not run in this condition.

Bronco has been at the dealership 7 days today, been diagnosed as a failed fuel pump, a new one is on order from Michigan as there were none locally, should be 3-5 days to get here and then hopefully a quick install.

My original post is here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-fuel-pump-failure.45800/page-26#post-1527147

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Correct me if I am wrong but From reading all the threads it seems you can avoid this by making sure your tank is FULL when off roading. Once you hit a steep climb with not much fuel, the pump will not be submerge and fail
You’re wrong. My tank was 3/4 full and had just been topped off the morning the fuel pump failed on the trail.
Even if this is close to being the issue, I’ve driven my Jeep JK without a topped off tank off road with no problems, so Broncos should be able to do so too.

Not to mention we have seen Broncos on the YouTubes in extreme off road situations and haven’t seen the fuel pump crap out.

My bet is COVID Supply Chain quality issues. The question is it 10, 50 or 1000s of fuel pump failures? Seems very few and far between.

XmasLightsBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not a fair comparison. I work for one of those OEMs and we measure things in failure rates (problems per 100 vehicles) to normalize for apples-to-apples. Hyundai only has 5% market share, so 970k vehicles under recall is a lot different after you normalize for the entire VIN population. Not sure how many units in operation there are for each of those OEMs, but the order and magnitude of that chart would change substantially if that was taken into account.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The fuel pump is inside the tank and has to be submerged in the fuel. If you are low on fuel and then hit a steep climb then it could be exposed.

I know there are examples (1) where someone was driving on the road when it failed BUT what was he doing before he was on the road?

If there was an issue with the fuel pump then we would have failure left and right BUT we don't.

Regardless, Bronco6g will call out Ford and there will thousands of post on this
Doood...I get that you LOVE you some Ford. Your posts make that very clear.

I'm a Ford guy too. I have three in my garage now and a Ford family dating back to my great grandpa.

But c'mon man....you're trying way too hard here. There are forum documented issues with fuel pumps. I don't get the persistent contrarian POV all the time. We'd never identify or solve any issues if we didn't have a discussion. You bitching about other people "bitching" doesn't help.
Heard the same crap on the blown 2.7's. Now Ford has admitted it might affect up to 25k units. Be part of the solution.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is not a fair comparison. I work for one of those OEMs and we measure things in failure rates (problems per 100 vehicles) to normalize for apples-to-apples. Hyundai only has 5% market share, so 970k vehicles under recall is a lot different after you normalize for the entire VIN population. Not sure how many units in operation there are for each of those OEMs, but the order and magnitude of that chart would change substantially if that was taken into account.

Stats can certainly deceive and there are lots of different ways to measure things but Ford has been slipping in recent years.

From the same article looking back at the last decade in warranty issues per vehicle sold:
Ford Bronco Fuel pump issues..the next Ford fiasco? Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.42.59 AM

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
maybe there is an issue BUT maybe not. We will never know unless Ford issues a recall
Yea... just like the wrong dip stick on the 2.7.... not going to happen in my opinion...

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went through 6 fuel pumps and 4 EGR valves on my '89 Bronco.
Over the decades I owned five big Broncos and never had a fuel pump failure.

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jesus Christ, the ambulance chaser is at it again. Another topic that has nothing to do with you, but you want to sit around and stoke the fire of what, a dozen people that have had this issue in here? Are you not getting enough attention in the stalled out faulty valve thread, Chicken Little? Is the sky still falling?! You should change your screen name to da_karren, with all your clown ass, crybaby comments and trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

How'd this thread work out for you? ZERO interactions? 😆 🤡

Ford Bronco Fuel pump issues..the next Ford fiasco? clown 3

How did your attempt at a shit-spreading poll go back in February?

Ford Bronco Fuel pump issues..the next Ford fiasco? clown 2

Or your shit-spreading over in Bonco Nation that was put out pretty quickly?! :poop: 🤡

Ford Bronco Fuel pump issues..the next Ford fiasco? clow

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

why do you think it is a QC issue?

For 1 .. the pump prob comes from an vendor and how do you exactly determine it will fail until you use it. I guess you could randomly take a few pumps and test it BUT I don't think it would be a real world test
Yes, the fuel pump assembly comes from a vendor. Ford does not manufacture those parts. After my fuel pump was replaced, Ford instructed the dealership to return the failed unit to the Mothership for post-failure analysis.

No, Ford did not share the results of that analysis with me. They simply replaced the failed part under warranty at no charge and provided me with a free loaner car from Hertz to drive in the interim.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.