First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What the?! It doesn’t? Why would they make it look like it’s built just for that purpose? 🤦🏼‍♂️ How does it mount if it’s done from the factory?
Factory comes with something similar to the Hopkins I linked up above. Assuming it clips into that slot. I’m going to remove that plate and install the Road Tough myself.

Here are a couple of pics of where I mounted the module.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 85F43C49-C480-402B-AD36-F685D104C6C8

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 7A13CA28-A2AC-4F08-A54B-671475461324
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I’m freaking psyched on the Road Tough trailer connector. I didn’t even have to use the supplied bracket. It clipped right into the Ford hitch. One slight win for spending the extra cash on it before Curt released theirs. Loving the clean factory look.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 0DCC0843-A8E2-4512-AD33-9C004B8A919F

Now I just have to paint that bolt matte black (thanks to @flip for the replacement). Even though I used the proper torque - it busted at the same moment my wrench clicked.

skierx728

Outer Banks
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks a bunch for this video! I had installed my hitch a few weeks ago and I just did the wiring harness today. I was a little worried as I normally don't do much of this type of stuff but I followed the video to a T (did not ground the red wire as I have LEDs) and everything worked perfectly. I also installed the rough country mount directly into the bumper and it came out great. My only additional hint to anyone tackling this is when you're removing the screw tabs that hold the trim piece in on the side next to the tail lights... pry/put back pressure on the screw itself (not the whole tab that the screw goes into). Much easier that way and won't damage them and they pop right out. I was unscrewing and prying the tab at the same time and it wasn't great.
I tested it with a cheap tester I found on amazon and good to go... (now it's time to fix the wiring on my actual trailer :) )
Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness IMG_7424 Lar
Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness IMG_7425 Lar
Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness IMG_7426 Lar

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks a bunch for this video! I had installed my hitch a few weeks ago and I just did the wiring harness today. I was a little worried as I normally don't do much of this type of stuff but I followed the video to a T (did not ground the red wire as I have LEDs) and everything worked perfectly. I also installed the rough country mount directly into the bumper and it came out great. My only additional hint to anyone tackling this is when you're removing the screw tabs that hold the trim piece in on the side next to the tail lights... pry/put back pressure on the screw itself (not the whole tab that the screw goes into). Much easier that way and won't damage them and they pop right out. I was unscrewing and prying the tab at the same time and it wasn't great.
I tested it with a cheap tester I found on amazon and good to go... (now it's time to fix the wiring on my actual trailer :) )
Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness IMG_7426 Lar
Looks great!! I am glad you found my video helpful

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all, sorry for bumping an old thread but I just installed my wiring harness after watching your video and had a question.

I have a BD with the halogen lights, and it seems my curt wiring harness does not have a red wire leading from the module to the drivers tails. Is this going to be a major problem? My drivers side harness only had white (ground) yellow, and brown.

I got to the point in the video on clipping that wire and was totally lost.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey all, sorry for bumping an old thread but I just installed my wiring harness after watching your video and had a question.

I have a BD with the halogen lights, and it seems my curt wiring harness does not have a red wire leading from the module to the drivers tails. Is this going to be a major problem? My drivers side harness only had white (ground) yellow, and brown.

I got to the point in the video on clipping that wire and was totally lost.
Which Curt part number specifically did you install?

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which Curt part number specifically did you install?
Part #: CRT- 56471 Purchased from RealTruck.com.

Little update though, I went up to Harbor Freight and grabbed a tester dongle thing to test the harness and it Ops checked just fine. Maybe Curt updated the harness for halogens to not need the red wire and hasn't updated its instructions? Curt decided when packing this harness and hardware to not include page 2 of the instructions, that was nice of them, so I had to bring them up on my phone.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Part #: CRT- 56471 Purchased from RealTruck.com.

Little update though, I went up to Harbor Freight and grabbed a tester dongle thing to test the harness and it Ops checked just fine. Maybe Curt updated the harness for halogens to not need the red wire and hasn't updated its instructions? Curt decided when packing this harness and hardware to not include page 2 of the instructions, that was nice of them, so I had to bring them up on my phone.
Yes I think you are right. The part number you are using is the NEW variant that came out later, designed for halogen tail lights specifically. So I would guess that this new setup ditches the red wire entirely since it is not needed. I am not surprised Curt never bothered to update the instructions given that for a year they sold a product that would not work on certain Broncos but made no mention of it anywhere until I brought it to their attention. Their own website still shows this part you ordered with the red wire still there 🤷‍♂️ https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56471

Bottom line, if all vehicle and trailer lights are properly blinking when they should, you are good!

RescueCheckPT2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD, MH-65D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes I think you are right. The part number you are using is the NEW variant that came out later, designed for halogen tail lights specifically. So I would guess that this new setup ditches the red wire entirely since it is not needed. I am not surprised Curt never bothered to update the instructions given that for a year they sold a product that would not work on certain Broncos but made no mention of it anywhere until I brought it to their attention. Their own website still shows this part you ordered with the red wire still there 🤷‍♂️ https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56471

Bottom line, if all vehicle and trailer lights are properly blinking when they should, you are good!

Yeah totally. It seems Curt makes a good quality product but their customer service/street smarts have left me with a lot to be desired. Here's hoping this stuff lasts, because I most likely wont be buying anything from them again.

SGXIX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I made a video showing the full install process in detail. Let me know if you have any questions and I can help you out. Installing just the hitch is very easy, maybe a 2 out of 10 on difficulty scale. For the 4 pin wiring harness, maybe a 4 out of 10, the most difficult part being routing the power line from the rear bumper to the engine compartment. That requires wiggling around under the truck a good bit and reaching in to some small spaces. Forum members have also noted a process where you can get power from inside the rear cargo area, but that requires removing a bunch of interior trim panels and I didn't want to mess with that.

The part numbers I installed are:
Hitch receiver: Curt #13493
Wiring harness: Curt #56468

See also a separate post with title "How to fix Curt trailer wiring harness to work on halogen tail lights" before you install this wiring harness if you have a Base, Big Bend, or Black Diamond trim level.

Real Truck sells these parts and they are a forum sponsor and I believe offer a discount if you send a DM to Alex @RealTruck

Do your brake lights work after cutting the red wire?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do your brake lights work after cutting the red wire?
Yes. Are you having problems? If so which part number did you install?

SGXIX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes. Are you having problems? If so which part number did you install?
I have same one you installed on your video. I plan to install it next week, but read somebody's comment on your youtube video saying that his brake lights don't work after cutting the red wire

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have same one you installed on your video. I plan to install it next week, but read somebody's comment on your youtube video saying that his brake lights don't work after cutting the red wire
Do you have halogen tail lights or LED tail lights?