Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX; '11 Armada; '02 Tahoe Z71; '91 XJ6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It can be done.

I buckled down and bought the sound bar that Ford is pushing (the JBL BB4000). It looks to be plug-n-play out of the box, because it uses the same connectors as the factory rear speakers. But, once you buy it, the installation instructions tell you to take it to the dealer after installing, so that the computer can be "flashed" to accept the sound bar.

I connected it up anyway without flashing it, and it sounded just like the factory rear speakers - high end unimpressive sound. I then took it to the dealer who "flashed" it for free. Then it performed like you would expect the sound bar to sound - full range and full of great sound.

Curious about this "flashing" business - just for kicks - I unplugged the sound bar and plugged back in the factory speakers I had removed - and viola - full sound range from the little factory speaker pods.

I don't know why it comes from the factory with limited rear speakers that way - but clearly it is intentionally limited.

To "flash" the audio, the sound bar instructions say you must have the FDRS software ACM (audio control module) to perform the "Audio Front Control
Module (ACM) Software Update." The trick then is - find out how to do that (or get the dealer to do the flash) without buying the sound bar.

The good thing is that I was able to tap into the rear speakers (instead of running wires all the way up to the front kick panel speakers) to add my subwoofer.

With the sound bar I've got the range all around and with a sub I'm done.

STILL - I wonder if I would have needed the sound bar if I could just broaden the range of the rear speaker pods.

Anyway - if this hasn't been posted before (I didn't find it - sorry if this is a repeat)- there's the answer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious if anyone has the how-to instructions on this. I have my sub tapped into the rears and it sounds fine, but always open to getting better where I can.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if anyone has the how-to instructions on this. I have my sub tapped into the rears and it sounds fine, but always open to getting better where I can.
Tapped into the rears it your sub is working??

There are other threads about this... Nobody has been able to crack it yet.
It's likely a firmware update.

I wonder if I can talk my dealer into just flashing my stock speakers?

OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The flashing instructions (if that's what you are wanting) come with the sound bar. Although they are online, I'll attach the .pdf of the installation instructions which include that step.

Attachments

Sponsored
OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One other thing I did differently from the recommended installation, is I flipped the sound bar upside down, so that it's on top of the mounting bar. It just fits under the roof that way, and does not in any way obscure the driver's vision out the rear window. Yes - I'm sure the sound quality is slightly compromised - but not enough for me to really care or notice.

OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tapped into the rears it your sub is working??

There are other threads about this... Nobody has been able to crack it yet.
It's likely a firmware update.

I wonder if I can talk my dealer into just flashing my stock speakers?
Maybe tell them you plan to get a sound bar, and want it ready for install when you do? I don't know if they are allowed to do it without proof you've paid for the bar.

I keep thinking someone will show us how to do it with Forscan.

OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This has been addressed in many threads, forscan. You don't need a dealer to do it.
Where is it? I haven't been able to find anything about using forscan to do it.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Many people refer to Forscan, but to my knowledge no one has figured out the exact Forscan code changes to replicate the JBL "flash" that gets rid of the rear channel bass rolloff. Even when the "before" and "after" module readouts have been listed. This is still an open issue.

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This has been addressed in many threads, forscan. You don't need a dealer to do it.
Got a link to the thread(s)? I've been anxiously awaiting a Forscan solution. The last few threads i've read were inconclusive on the specifics of what needs changed. Even with the before/after files.

OP
OP
wcmaness

wcmaness

Outer Banks
First Name
Wesly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got a link to the thread(s)? I've been anxiously awaiting a Forscan solution. The last few threads i've read were inconclusive on the specifics of what needs changed. Even with the before/after files.
I've scoured the forscan forum section. Found nothing.