Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The purpose of this post is to offer an in-depth review of the Badass Tents roof rack for the Ford Bronco. At the bottom of the post is my 11-minute video review and pics below.

Some of you may have seen a similar review of mine about a very good rust proofing service.

Background:
Like many 2021/2 Bronco buyers, I occasionally want/need to put stuff on my roof. Unfortunately, some configurations did/do not allow the buyer to add the OEM Ford roof rails w/crossbars for ($365) – the reason is rumored to have something to do with weight. If you ordered a Sasquatch/2.7/4-door, you couldn’t get it. Eventually, Ford added the rack as an over-priced accessory for $825 (but still not “available” as of 3/7/2022).

I wanted a well-made rack to hold canoes, kayaks, skis, and whatever. I was also disappointed that the OEM Ford rack eliminates your ability to remove the 2nd row roof panels.

I found BadassTents.com, a new US-based company that specializes in high-quality roof-top tents and off-road accessories – all made in the US. And specifically, it designed and sells a Badass Tents roof rack for 2-door and 4-door Broncos. (this is an independent consumer review – I am not affiliated with Badass Tents).

Competition:
There will no-doubt be additional entrants into this market, but as of now, I think this one stands out as the winner. And importantly, these are available now.

Why I chose Badass Tents:
  • Made in the USA
  • No Plastic
  • High load capacity
  • Low-profile design
  • Leverages OEM attachment points (no drilling)
  • Allows for removal of the 1st and 2nd row panels
  • Modular design enables it to be configured as a short rack (rear cap only with 2 crossbars), or the full rack with up to 6 crossbars.
  • Nice looking
  • Quality/price
  • Available now
Ordering, pricing, and delivery:
For the 4-door, you can order a “short rack” which attaches only to the rear cap, and provides 2 crossbars. Or you can get the full rack. You can choose black or bare aluminum crossbars. The 2-door version has 5 crossbars. Prices are on the site at the links above. Delivery came by FedEx ground. There is also a wind-guard that can be added to the front. I don’t have that so I can’t speak to it.

Unboxing:
The box was about 6’x1’x1’ and about 73lbs. The rack was very well packed – important to keep the pieces of steel and aluminum from scratching the powder coating off of each other. The pieces that needed to be labeled were labeled. I downloaded the directions here.

Materials and hardware:
There is zero plastic. This rack is 100% powder-coated steel and anodized aluminum, with stainless steel screws/nuts. There is rubber padding to protect the roof from having any direct contact with metal.

Assembly, Installation and Fit/Finish:
It takes a bit over an hour to assemble and install. No drilling or special tools are needed. I was impressed with how well all the holes lined and matched up to the Ford mounting points on the Bronco. The rack is VERY sturdy. It has a 500lb. static limit and 250lb (in transit).

Aesthetics:
It’s a nice-looking piece of hardware. The only strike against it would be the Ford mounting points above the windshield are a little bare without the colored caps on them. The rack only makes the bronco 3.125 inches taller (yet still allows the panels to come out). The rack is very business-like while still looking as sleek as possible.

Modularity:
There are two aspects that stand out here. First, BadAss Tents provided adapter pieces so that you can configure it as a short rack on the rear (w/2 crossbars). This would let you put stuff on the rear cap, and you could remove the rear cap with no need to remove the rack. Or, you can set up the full rack (up to 6 cross bars). In this configuration, you can remove all the roof panels, but you’d need to remove the front part of the rack in order to go in full convertible mode with no rear cap). As much as I’d like to believe otherwise, here in New England the weather changes enough that I will rarely remove the rear cap.

The other thing I like, is that you can decide which cross bars you want. For example, I don’t have a light bar and I might not need the front cross bar. I think it looks a little better without it so I removed it (see pics below – some have it on, others have it off.

Versatility/Compatibility:
This rack was designed with rooftop camping and overland in mind, and it’s well suited for it. What I like is that it’s somewhat minimalist. It’s not overkill. You’ve surely seen some bro’s out there who add 1000lbs. of cheap and heavy steel tubing, bins, ladders, and brushguards, and it starts to look truly ridiculous when parked at the mall or sitting in commuter traffic. This rack is sleek but you can add whatever you want, and the t-slotted crossbars accept t-screws to attach… anything you can think of. Also, the crossbars themselves are thin enough to accept attachments made for a universal fit on crossbars (ski racks, roof-top box, kayak/bike carriers). With a small amount of mechanical ingenuity, anything could be affixed.

Wind noise:
Compared to having no rack, I didn't notice a difference in wind noise - until about 55mph (I haven't gone faster with the rack yet - I'll have to update this post later). I've had some kind of rack on my daily driver SUVs since the 80s and they all make some noise at speed - especially with skis, etc. There is a wind deflector accessory by Badass Tents that I didn't buy, and it might make a difference.

Overall:
Very impressed with this rack option. It’s higher quality, more useful, better looking, and doesn’t limit the roof panel removal like the OEM model. It’s not cheap, but you can feel confident that it will handle anything you want to do with it.

And, personally, I like supporting small purpose-based US-businesses that prioritize quality and customer service. Even though Ford corporate refuses to communicate with its customers, the owner/founder (Roger Davis) of Badass Tents responds quickly and his team is there to support you.

Video Review:

Pics:
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9640.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9644.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9648.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9651.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9653.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9654.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9655.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9662.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9670.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9672.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9673.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9675.JPG
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack IMG_9676.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think they have done a nice job. I like the option to have only the rear clamshell rack in place for easy removal/ replacement of the roof panels.

PhilS

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for posting the video and the pics. I agree, this has to be the best rack available. This thing is super modular and so much more functional than the OEM rack. It has to be quieter too. I took the factory rack off a few weeks back and the noise difference is dramatic.

craq5

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to to make the video. This will really help people make an informed decision

Looks pretty good!

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What's the cost of this versus OEM?

Definitely looks nice and all metal is good. Really like the flexibility of it.

Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is there a price, I didn't see it if there was.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What's the cost of this versus OEM?

Definitely looks nice and all metal is good. Really like the flexibility of it.
For the short rack (only available for 4-door) - about $500, and for the full rack (4-door), about $1,500. The full rack for the 2-door is somewhere in the middle - it's on the website. Prices could change so I was hesitant to include that. The OEM rack from ford is $825 as an accessory (half that if you order it with the car).

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if I ever need a roof rack I'd take a look. But how much weight can it carry? My understanding is that it's the roof itself that limits the weight you can put on, and what the factory allows is a bit of a joke. This seems to use all the same mounting points, so I can't quite imagine it carries more load? I like the slim look of the parts.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if I ever need a roof rack I'd take a look. But how much weight can it carry? My understanding is that it's the roof itself that limits the weight you can put on, and what the factory allows is a bit of a joke. This seems to use all the same mounting points, so I can't quite imagine it carries more load? I like the slim look of the parts.
It's in the review above. The manufacturer says 250lbs. in transit and 500lbs. static. I think the OEM rack claims 110lbs. It's possible that the OEM limitation is driven by the rack itself rather than the mounts. the OEM rack appears to use plastic fittings - maybe someone else can confirm.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The purpose of this post is to offer an in-depth review of the BadAss Tents roof rack for the Ford Bronco. At the bottom of the post is my 11-minute video review and pics below.

Some of you may have seen a similar review of mine about a very good rust proofing service.

Background:
Like many 2021/2 Bronco buyers, I occasionally want/need to put stuff on my roof. Unfortunately, some configurations did/do not allow the buyer to add the OEM Ford roof rails w/crossbars for ($365) – the reason is rumored to have something to go with weight. With Sasquatch/2.7/4-door, you couldn’t get it. Eventually, Ford added it as an over-priced accessory for $825 (but still not “available” as of 3/7/2022).

I wanted a well-made rack to hold canoes, kayaks, skis, and whatever. I was also disappointed that the OEM Ford rack eliminates your ability to remove the 2nd row roof panels.

I found BadAssTents.com, a new US-based company that specializes in high-quality roof-top tents and offroad accessories – all made in the US. And specifically, it designed and sells a BadAss Tents roof rack for 2-door and 4-door Broncos. (this is an independent consumer review – I am not affiliated with BadAssTents).

Competition:
There will no-doubt be additional entrants into this market, but as of now, I think this one stands out as the winner. And importantly, these are available now.

Why I chose BadAss Tents:
  • Made in the USA
  • No Plastic
  • High load capacity
  • Low-profile design
  • Leverages OEM attachment points (no drilling)
  • Allows for removal of the 1st and 2nd row panels
  • Modular design enables it to be configured as a short rack (rear cap only with 2 crossbars), or the full rack with up to 6 crossbars.
  • Nice looking
  • Quality/price
  • Available now
Ordering, pricing, and delivery:
For the 4-door, you can order a “short rack” which attaches only to the rear cap, and provides 2 crossbars. Or you can get the full rack. You can choose black or bare aluminum crossbars. The 2-door version has 5 crossbars. Prices are on the site at the links above. Delivery came by FedEx ground. There is also a wind-guard that can be added to the front. I don’t have that so I can’t speak to it.

Unboxing:
The box was about 7’x1’x1’ and about 75lbs. The rack was very well packed – important to keep the pieces of steel and aluminum from scratching the powder coating off of each other. The pieces that needed to be labeled were labeled. I downloaded the directions here.

Materials and hardware:
There is zero plastic. This rack is 100% powder-coated steel and anodized aluminum, with stainless steel screws/nuts. There is rubber padding to protect the roof from having any direct contact with metal.

Assembly, Installation and Fit/Finish:
It takes a bit over an hour to assemble and install. No drilling or special tools are needed. I was impressed with how well all the holes lined and matched up to the Ford mounting points on the Bronco. The rack is VERY sturdy. It has a 500lb. static limit and 250lb (in transit).

Aesthetics:
It’s a nice-looking piece of hardware. The only strike against it would be the Ford mountain points above the windshield are a little bare without the colored caps on them. The rack only makes the bronco 3.125 inches taller (yet still allows the panels to come out). The rack is very business-like while still looking as sleek as possible.

Modularity:
There are two aspects that stand out here. First, BadAss Tents provided adapter pieces so that you can configure it as a short rack on the rear (w/2 crossbars). This would let you put stuff on the rear cap, and you could remove the rear cap with no need to remove the rack. Or, you can set up the full rack (up to 6 cross bars). In this configuration, you can remove all the roof panels, but you’d need to remove the front part of the rack in order to go in full convertible mode with no rear cap). As much as I’d like to believe otherwise, here in New England the weather changes enough that I will rarely remove the rear cap.

The other thing I like, is that you can decide which cross bars you want. For example, I don’t have a light bar and I might not need the front cross bar. I think it looks a little better without it so I removed it (see pics below – some have it on, others have it off.

Versatility/Compatibility:
This rack was designed with rooftop camping and overland in mind, and it’s well suited for it. What I like is that it’s somewhat minimalist. It’s not overkill. You’ve surely seen some bro’s out there who add 1000lbs. of cheap and heavy steel tubing, bins, ladders, and brushguards, and it starts to look truly ridiculous when parked at the mall or sitting in commuter traffic. This rack is sleek but you can add whatever you want, and the t-slotted crossbars accept t-screws to attach… anything you can think of. Also, the crossbars themselves are thin enough to accept attachments made for a universal fit on crossbars (ski racks, roof-top box, kayak/bike carriers). With a small amount of mechanical ingenuity, anything could be affixed.

Overall:
Very impressed with this rack option. It’s higher quality, more useful, better looking, and doesn’t limit the roof panel removal like the OEM model. It’s not cheap, but you can feel confident that it will handle anything you want to do with it.

And, personally, I like supporting small purpose-based US-businesses that prioritize quality and customer service. Even though Ford corporate refuses to communicate with its customers, the owner/founder (Roger Davis) of BadAss Tents responds quickly and his team is there to support you.

Video Review:

Pics:
IMG_9640.JPG
IMG_9644.JPG
IMG_9648.JPG
IMG_9651.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG
IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9662.JPG
IMG_9670.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9673.JPG
IMG_9675.JPG
IMG_9676.JPG
Thanks for finding this rack and posting this. Finally a rear clamshell only roof rack! Is the reason the mid-panel removes that the rack is a little higher off the car than Ford's OEM rack?

filup01

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
For us 2-door guys, it’s more expensive than the OEM option but I like it better. Since I’m still waiting on my Bronco, I’ll keep watching this product to see how it ages (how the metal holds up with weight, rust, and etc.).
Hopefully though, I won’t have to wait too long and my Bronco will arrive (I didn’t order my 2-door with a rack).

What I’d love to see is this rack without having a top on at all. Make a rack that can bolt onto our hardtops but also be modular to remove the feet and replace with ones that bolt to the roll bar.

Maxisgamez

Outer Banks
First Name
Maxis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Excellent review and write up. Nicely done. Glad you are happy with it.

A few thoughts:

• No side mount options for other accessories? awning, etc? Didn't see any from the pictures.
  • Looks narrow. There is a lot space available on each side of the rack.
  • Light mount?
  • Wind deflector available?
Got potential but I think a solid rack should absolutely have the above.

Thank you again for doing this. Nicely done!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disappointing that at least the middle crossbars don't have slotted holes like ZroadZ rack...
They said they have no desire to add them, that it would weaken the rack 🤷🏻
Sponsored