Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco - Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Excellent review and write up. Nicely done. Glad you are happy with it.

A few thoughts:

• No side mount options for other accessories? awning, etc? Didn't see any from the pictures.
  • Looks narrow. There is a lot space available on each side of the rack.
  • Light mount?
  • Wind deflector available?
Got potential but I think a solid rack should absolutely have the above.

Thank you again for doing this. Nicely done!
Similar thoughts on my end to this with an added critique about the height off the roof of the rack. it stands rather stout would have been nice to see them cut that "gap" in half. would improve stability when loaded down and would be less stress on the mounts of the rack.
Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar thoughts on my end to this with an added critique about the height off the roof of the rack. it stands rather stout would have been nice to see them cut that "gap" in half. would improve stability when loaded down and would be less stress on the mounts of the rack.
Cut that gap in half??
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack Screenshot_20220308-080241_Edge

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m sure it’s functional. Great review. It doesn’t look as good as the OE rack, though, which borrows the leading edge of the chunky rack from the trail sites on fenders. IMHO.

Bcol2012

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro ZL1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I'm not mistaken you cannot take off the middle section with the OEM rack correct? I believe that would be the reason for the extra clearance on this one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for finding this rack and posting this. Finally a rear clamshell only roof rack! Is the reason the mid-panel removes that the rack is a little higher off the car than Ford's OEM rack?
Iit must be a subtle different in clearance because of height and quite possibly width of the rails. But it works.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I'm not mistaken you cannot take off the middle section with the OEM rack correct? I believe that would be the reason for the extra clearance on this one.
The rack is about as low as it could be. It looks higher with the roof panels removed. But I can assure you it has the absolute minimum clearance possible to allow the removal of the roof panels.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great review. Looks like a quality rack and I like the increased load limits. If you're priority is the ability to remove roof panels with the rack still attached or to keep just the rear portion as a half rack, this seems like a good option. Price isn't bad either.

I'm personally not a fan of how skinny the side rails are, and the front attachment points look a little funny. I think it would look better if it was a little more bulky but of course that means added weight. Its probably strong but it looks kinda weak; I'd be worried about those side rails bending under heavy load while offroading.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great review. Looks like a quality rack and I like the increased load limits. If you're priority is the ability to remove roof panels with the rack still attached or to keep just the rear portion as a half rack, this seems like a good option. Price isn't bad either.

I'm personally not a fan of how skinny the side rails are, and the front attachment points look a little funny. I think it would look better if it was a little more bulky but of course that means added weight. Its probably strong but it looks kinda weak; I'd be worried about those side rails bending under heavy load while offroading.
I understand your point about the front mounting point not looking chunky (I assume the OEM rack is plastic here. But I can assure you that the rails are super strong and rigid - especially because of the box-shaped crossbars. It feels rock solid in every direction. Also in many of my pics below I have the front crossbar removed. That would add additional rigidity to the front area. The rails are actually 2 layers screwed together which stiffens the structure.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand your point about the front mounting point not looking chunky (I assume the OEM rack is plastic here. But I can assure you that the rails are super strong and rigid - especially because of the box-shaped crossbars. It feels rock solid in every direction. Also in many of my pics below I have the front crossbar removed. That would add additional rigidity to the front area. The rails are actually 2 layers screwed together which stiffens the structure.
Definitely lowers the manufacturering cost and simplicity. But by far, the heaviest way to accomplish strength. The OE rails are probably half the weight and just as strong. It's the shitty crossbars and plastic mounting points that let the Ford rack down.
I have a Skinny Warrior basket and it's mounting points are fixed, fore and aft. With no crossbar adjustability, I would have to find a creative solution. ZroadZ gives you that, but with oddly shaped (and wide), stamped crossbars, and a much higher price 😞

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Excellent review and write up. Nicely done. Glad you are happy with it.

A few thoughts:

• No side mount options for other accessories? awning, etc? Didn't see any from the pictures.
  • Looks narrow. There is a lot space available on each side of the rack.
  • Light mount?
  • Wind deflector available?
Got potential but I think a solid rack should absolutely have the above.

Thank you again for doing this. Nicely done!
Not sure exactly what you want for side mounts but on the manufacturer website it seems that they are using this “platform” to be able to attach plenty of things. I bet if you ask them they will make it. The company’s technical background is metal fabrication.

as far as being narrow I can take a measurement but it would be simple to attach some wide crossbars to it if you needed to haul multiple kayaks/canoes etc. personally I like that it’s not a monstrosity.

for a light bar, yes. In some of my pics you can see that I have removed the front crossbar. I thought it would be quieter without it and I like the look better. The front crossbar (when installed) is ideal for lights.

And yes Badass Tents sells a wind deflector

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, the OEM rack is metal where it attaches but has a plastic cover over those attachment points. Having the front crossbar on would definitely help the rigidity under heavy load and it probably looks better too having the front crossbar on. Overall it does look like a well built rack.

I wouldn't say I was really a fan of the look of the OEM rack, but didn't look bad. The weight limits were a deal breaker though. I sold mine and am waiting for the Zroadz rack to arrive. We'll see what the quality is on that... it was a little pricy in my opinion.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iit must be a subtle different in clearance because of height and quite possibly width of the rails. But it works.
Right now, all I really want is a rear cap rack, and i may use it as a place to store the mid panel (or all 3) while on the beach. I have a beach rod & cooler rack for the swing out trailer hitch. Will you be on the beach on the Cape?

20220307_121505.jpg

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Definitely lowers the manufacturering cost and simplicity. But by far, the heaviest way to accomplish strength. The OE rails are probably half the weight and just as strong. It's the shitty crossbars and plastic mounting points that let the Ford rack down.
I have a Skinny Warrior basket and it's mounting points are fixed, fore and aft. With no crossbar adjustability, I would have to find a creative solution. ZroadZ gives you that, but with oddly shaped (and wide), stamped crossbars, and a much higher price 😞
Right. For me I wanted crossbars that would be a size and shape that accept my big Yakima roof top box, ski racks, bike carriers, etc.

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The purpose of this post is to offer an in-depth review of the BadAss Tents roof rack for the Ford Bronco. At the bottom of the post is my 11-minute video review and pics below.

Some of you may have seen a similar review of mine about a very good rust proofing service.

Background:
Like many 2021/2 Bronco buyers, I occasionally want/need to put stuff on my roof. Unfortunately, some configurations did/do not allow the buyer to add the OEM Ford roof rails w/crossbars for ($365) – the reason is rumored to have something to go with weight. With Sasquatch/2.7/4-door, you couldn’t get it. Eventually, Ford added it as an over-priced accessory for $825 (but still not “available” as of 3/7/2022).

I wanted a well-made rack to hold canoes, kayaks, skis, and whatever. I was also disappointed that the OEM Ford rack eliminates your ability to remove the 2nd row roof panels.

I found BadAssTents.com, a new US-based company that specializes in high-quality roof-top tents and offroad accessories – all made in the US. And specifically, it designed and sells a BadAss Tents roof rack for 2-door and 4-door Broncos. (this is an independent consumer review – I am not affiliated with BadAssTents).

Competition:
There will no-doubt be additional entrants into this market, but as of now, I think this one stands out as the winner. And importantly, these are available now.

Why I chose BadAss Tents:
  • Made in the USA
  • No Plastic
  • High load capacity
  • Low-profile design
  • Leverages OEM attachment points (no drilling)
  • Allows for removal of the 1st and 2nd row panels
  • Modular design enables it to be configured as a short rack (rear cap only with 2 crossbars), or the full rack with up to 6 crossbars.
  • Nice looking
  • Quality/price
  • Available now
Ordering, pricing, and delivery:
For the 4-door, you can order a “short rack” which attaches only to the rear cap, and provides 2 crossbars. Or you can get the full rack. You can choose black or bare aluminum crossbars. The 2-door version has 5 crossbars. Prices are on the site at the links above. Delivery came by FedEx ground. There is also a wind-guard that can be added to the front. I don’t have that so I can’t speak to it.

Unboxing:
The box was about 7’x1’x1’ and about 75lbs. The rack was very well packed – important to keep the pieces of steel and aluminum from scratching the powder coating off of each other. The pieces that needed to be labeled were labeled. I downloaded the directions here.

Materials and hardware:
There is zero plastic. This rack is 100% powder-coated steel and anodized aluminum, with stainless steel screws/nuts. There is rubber padding to protect the roof from having any direct contact with metal.

Assembly, Installation and Fit/Finish:
It takes a bit over an hour to assemble and install. No drilling or special tools are needed. I was impressed with how well all the holes lined and matched up to the Ford mounting points on the Bronco. The rack is VERY sturdy. It has a 500lb. static limit and 250lb (in transit).

Aesthetics:
It’s a nice-looking piece of hardware. The only strike against it would be the Ford mountain points above the windshield are a little bare without the colored caps on them. The rack only makes the bronco 3.125 inches taller (yet still allows the panels to come out). The rack is very business-like while still looking as sleek as possible.

Modularity:
There are two aspects that stand out here. First, BadAss Tents provided adapter pieces so that you can configure it as a short rack on the rear (w/2 crossbars). This would let you put stuff on the rear cap, and you could remove the rear cap with no need to remove the rack. Or, you can set up the full rack (up to 6 cross bars). In this configuration, you can remove all the roof panels, but you’d need to remove the front part of the rack in order to go in full convertible mode with no rear cap). As much as I’d like to believe otherwise, here in New England the weather changes enough that I will rarely remove the rear cap.

The other thing I like, is that you can decide which cross bars you want. For example, I don’t have a light bar and I might not need the front cross bar. I think it looks a little better without it so I removed it (see pics below – some have it on, others have it off.

Versatility/Compatibility:
This rack was designed with rooftop camping and overland in mind, and it’s well suited for it. What I like is that it’s somewhat minimalist. It’s not overkill. You’ve surely seen some bro’s out there who add 1000lbs. of cheap and heavy steel tubing, bins, ladders, and brushguards, and it starts to look truly ridiculous when parked at the mall or sitting in commuter traffic. This rack is sleek but you can add whatever you want, and the t-slotted crossbars accept t-screws to attach… anything you can think of. Also, the crossbars themselves are thin enough to accept attachments made for a universal fit on crossbars (ski racks, roof-top box, kayak/bike carriers). With a small amount of mechanical ingenuity, anything could be affixed.

Overall:
Very impressed with this rack option. It’s higher quality, more useful, better looking, and doesn’t limit the roof panel removal like the OEM model. It’s not cheap, but you can feel confident that it will handle anything you want to do with it.

And, personally, I like supporting small purpose-based US-businesses that prioritize quality and customer service. Even though Ford corporate refuses to communicate with its customers, the owner/founder (Roger Davis) of BadAss Tents responds quickly and his team is there to support you.

Video Review:

Pics:
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack 20220307_121505
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack 20220307_121505
Rather have OEM personally but it looks great man thanks for sharing! Looks like a solid rack.
Sponsored