Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How is noise?
I’ve not had it over 55 since installed but I’d say that I can hear a difference from having no rack. I’ve had a rack of some sort on my daily driver SUVs since the 80’s so I know that they ALL create noise. Personally wind noise was not something I was prioritizing when I decided to buy a Bronco. Is it as quiet inside as your father’s Cadillac? No. Does it bother me? No. The Bronco will never be as a good of a long haul road trip car as other choices. Anyway I was NOT like “OMG the wind noise is crazy.” 5 sets of skis on any car makes a lot of noise.

alfiefmc

Badlands
First Name
Alfie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands - 23 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this has already been asked, is it the same height as the OEM roof rack, It's kind of cool you can remove the second row roof panel with the rack on. THX

-AM

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry if this has already been asked, is it the same height as the OEM roof rack, It's kind of cool you can remove the second row roof panel with the rack on. THX

-AM
Looks similar in height. You're able to remove the roof panels because the space between the rails is inches wider 🤷🏻

Sponsored

Jmo0311

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The purpose of this post is to offer an in-depth review of the BadAss Tents roof rack for the Ford Bronco. At the bottom of the post is my 11-minute video review and pics below.

Some of you may have seen a similar review of mine about a very good rust proofing service.

Background:
Like many 2021/2 Bronco buyers, I occasionally want/need to put stuff on my roof. Unfortunately, some configurations did/do not allow the buyer to add the OEM Ford roof rails w/crossbars for ($365) – the reason is rumored to have something to go with weight. With Sasquatch/2.7/4-door, you couldn’t get it. Eventually, Ford added it as an over-priced accessory for $825 (but still not “available” as of 3/7/2022).

I wanted a well-made rack to hold canoes, kayaks, skis, and whatever. I was also disappointed that the OEM Ford rack eliminates your ability to remove the 2nd row roof panels.

I found BadAssTents.com, a new US-based company that specializes in high-quality roof-top tents and offroad accessories – all made in the US. And specifically, it designed and sells a BadAss Tents roof rack for 2-door and 4-door Broncos. (this is an independent consumer review – I am not affiliated with BadAssTents).

Competition:
There will no-doubt be additional entrants into this market, but as of now, I think this one stands out as the winner. And importantly, these are available now.

Why I chose BadAss Tents:
  • Made in the USA
  • No Plastic
  • High load capacity
  • Low-profile design
  • Leverages OEM attachment points (no drilling)
  • Allows for removal of the 1st and 2nd row panels
  • Modular design enables it to be configured as a short rack (rear cap only with 2 crossbars), or the full rack with up to 6 crossbars.
  • Nice looking
  • Quality/price
  • Available now
Ordering, pricing, and delivery:
For the 4-door, you can order a “short rack” which attaches only to the rear cap, and provides 2 crossbars. Or you can get the full rack. You can choose black or bare aluminum crossbars. The 2-door version has 5 crossbars. Prices are on the site at the links above. Delivery came by FedEx ground. There is also a wind-guard that can be added to the front. I don’t have that so I can’t speak to it.

Unboxing:
The box was about 7’x1’x1’ and about 75lbs. The rack was very well packed – important to keep the pieces of steel and aluminum from scratching the powder coating off of each other. The pieces that needed to be labeled were labeled. I downloaded the directions here.

Materials and hardware:
There is zero plastic. This rack is 100% powder-coated steel and anodized aluminum, with stainless steel screws/nuts. There is rubber padding to protect the roof from having any direct contact with metal.

Assembly, Installation and Fit/Finish:
It takes a bit over an hour to assemble and install. No drilling or special tools are needed. I was impressed with how well all the holes lined and matched up to the Ford mounting points on the Bronco. The rack is VERY sturdy. It has a 500lb. static limit and 250lb (in transit).

Aesthetics:
It’s a nice-looking piece of hardware. The only strike against it would be the Ford mountain points above the windshield are a little bare without the colored caps on them. The rack only makes the bronco 3.125 inches taller (yet still allows the panels to come out). The rack is very business-like while still looking as sleek as possible.

Modularity:
There are two aspects that stand out here. First, BadAss Tents provided adapter pieces so that you can configure it as a short rack on the rear (w/2 crossbars). This would let you put stuff on the rear cap, and you could remove the rear cap with no need to remove the rack. Or, you can set up the full rack (up to 6 cross bars). In this configuration, you can remove all the roof panels, but you’d need to remove the front part of the rack in order to go in full convertible mode with no rear cap). As much as I’d like to believe otherwise, here in New England the weather changes enough that I will rarely remove the rear cap.

The other thing I like, is that you can decide which cross bars you want. For example, I don’t have a light bar and I might not need the front cross bar. I think it looks a little better without it so I removed it (see pics below – some have it on, others have it off.

Versatility/Compatibility:
This rack was designed with rooftop camping and overland in mind, and it’s well suited for it. What I like is that it’s somewhat minimalist. It’s not overkill. You’ve surely seen some bro’s out there who add 1000lbs. of cheap and heavy steel tubing, bins, ladders, and brushguards, and it starts to look truly ridiculous when parked at the mall or sitting in commuter traffic. This rack is sleek but you can add whatever you want, and the t-slotted crossbars accept t-screws to attach… anything you can think of. Also, the crossbars themselves are thin enough to accept attachments made for a universal fit on crossbars (ski racks, roof-top box, kayak/bike carriers). With a small amount of mechanical ingenuity, anything could be affixed.

Overall:
Very impressed with this rack option. It’s higher quality, more useful, better looking, and doesn’t limit the roof panel removal like the OEM model. It’s not cheap, but you can feel confident that it will handle anything you want to do with it.

And, personally, I like supporting small purpose-based US-businesses that prioritize quality and customer service. Even though Ford corporate refuses to communicate with its customers, the owner/founder (Roger Davis) of BadAss Tents responds quickly and his team is there to support you.

Video Review:

Pics:
IMG_9640.JPG
IMG_9644.JPG
IMG_9648.JPG
IMG_9651.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG
IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9662.JPG
IMG_9670.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9673.JPG
IMG_9675.JPG
IMG_9676.JPG
What is the length and width of the crossbars? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is the length and width of the crossbars? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site.
The crossbars are 1”x2” and 40-43” long. Here is a close up of the assembly diagram.
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack DF93E245-954B-4C8C-8751-768BF55C799A
Ford Bronco Full Review w/Pics and Video: Badass Tents Roof Rack 2ED41C52-A459-48E4-9F89-A4061BF753EE

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Welp, so much for possibly moving and redrilling the crossbars for different spacing 😞
I’m pretty sure that you can easily buy any length of 80/20 aluminum crossbar very easily.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s higher quality, more useful, better looking, and doesn’t limit the roof panel removal like the OEM model.
Are you saying that you can’t remove the panels with the OEM rails installed?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you saying that you can’t remove the panels with the OEM rails installed?

With the OEM Ford rack you can only remove the first row roof panels. Not the second row.

Lucky

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 OB Sasquatch V6 2-Door AMB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

With the OEM Ford rack you can only remove the first row roof panels. Not the second row.
Roger that, thanks, just saw that in the video after reading the OP.

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I dont get it. Why do people want to camp on their car roof? Whats wrong with the ground? Seems like sleeping IN the car would be more comfortable than on the roof...