Sponsored

Full-Size or Mid-size for the New Bronco?

2021 Bronco: Full-Size or Mid-Size?

• I want mine Full-sized, based on the F-150 - similar to the '78-'96 models.

• Give me something Mid-Sized, closer in size to the next-gen Ranger.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It has been alleged in another thread that the majority of people want a full-sized Bronco from Ford.

So weigh in.

The choices are simple:

A) Full-sized, as in an enclosed F-150 shortbed;

or

B) Mid-sized, as in a Ranger-sized package (though with vastly different styling).

Assume both a 2-door and a 4-door variant will be available in either choice.
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I own a full size, if I were buying one (I'll likely be getting a mustang instead though this year), I'd want a mid size, as close to jeep size as possible.

I would actually prefer to see Ford offer the baby, a mid, and full size. A complete line covering everything.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd prefer smaller, 68-70", but the "midsize" platform of the Ranger (73") will probably work too.

I have no interest in anything wider or longer than necessary for daily or trail use. Big machines have a use, but that's not what I want in this vehicle.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think there should be another one to vote on Ford to have both mid size and a FSB and let me decide which one I want.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think there should be another one to vote on Ford to have both mid size and a FSB and let me decide which one I want.
Yes, in a perfect world...

We know that a new Bronco is "coming soon"(!). There is no indication that there will be two sizes of them, so my thought is that we get to "hope" for what size the one we're getting will be.

"Both, and let me choose" isn't an option in the poll because I've seen no evidence it will be an option in the real world.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I say Jeep, I mean similar wheelbase to a 2dr jeep wrangler. more interior space since the bronco traditionally had a body that was same width and the track, unlike jeep.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, in a perfect world...

We know that a new Bronco is "coming soon"(!). There is no indication that there will be two sizes of them, so my thought is that we get to "hope" for what size the one we're getting will be.

"Both, and let me choose" isn't an option in the poll because I've seen no evidence it will be an option in the real world.
I know we are only getting the mid size Bronco and I'm good with that maybe later after Bronco and Baby Bronco we'll get a Bronco to take on the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know we are only getting the mid size Bronco and I'm good with that maybe later after Bronco and Baby Bronco we'll get a Bronco to take on the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
If a larger Bronco was made, I think the comparison would probably be with a Wagoneer/GW -- though it is possible they might be better compared to the Expedition. We'll probably know a lot more about those in a couple years.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would love to see a full-sized offering as well, if for no other reason than just to make everyone happy with a Bronco in their driveway.

I think Ford could easily compete with Jeep on the GC. An Explorer with a more trail-oriented 4wd system, off-road protection/appearance package, longer legs and tires with some sidewall would sure get close. Will they? Hmmm...

Other than the superior ground clearance and more capable 4wd on the higher-optioned models, the two largely compete for the same market space. Even lacking a "Trail Rated" Explorer, the Ford offering still beats GC's sales figures. I suppose if Ford put some effort forward, they could conquer more of that market. They have to ask themselves if the effort would be worth the number of potential GC buyers they could lure away - there are some people who simply won't ever buy a Ford, and some people are convinced Jeep hung the 4x4 moon. The former wouldn't buy an Explorer no matter how perfect it is for them, and the latter wouldn't buy anything but a Jeep regardless of superior options. There is a large section in the middle, and I'd bet there is a lot of money flowing into focus groups to define them in preferences and hard numbers... if the numbers come back favorably, there may be a more capable Explorer or other GC challenger from Ford on the horizon. I don't expect to see that happen, though.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would love to see a full-sized offering as well, if for no other reason than just to make everyone happy with a Bronco in their driveway.

I think Ford could easily compete with Jeep on the GC. An Explorer with a more trail-oriented 4wd system, off-road protection/appearance package, longer legs and tires with some sidewall would sure get close. Will they? Hmmm...

Other than the superior ground clearance and more capable 4wd on the higher-optioned models, the two largely compete for the same market space. Even lacking a "Trail Rated" Explorer, the Ford offering still beats GC's sales figures. I suppose if Ford put some effort forward, they could conquer more of that market. They have to ask themselves if the effort would be worth the number of potential GC buyers they could lure away - there are some people who simply won't ever buy a Ford, and some people are convinced Jeep hung the 4x4 moon. The former wouldn't buy an Explorer no matter how perfect it is for them, and the latter wouldn't buy anything but a Jeep regardless of superior options. There is a large section in the middle, and I'd bet there is a lot of money flowing into focus groups to define them in preferences and hard numbers... if the numbers come back favorably, there may be a more capable Explorer or other GC challenger from Ford on the horizon. I don't expect to see that happen, though.
I feel like a more 4x4 esque Explorer is the exact thing that the Bronco is designed to be the Halo vehicle for. Show that Ford is making proper hard core off-roaders to get people to buy into their more lifestyle/image oriented vehicles like an Explorer Tremor or whatever would be. Same as how the Wrangler image is what sells GCs and Renegades.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Same as how the Wrangler image is what sells GCs and Renegades.
That's exactly the role I think the Bronco is meant to play for Ford. Which is a big part of why off road capability and performance is likely to be emphasized over the sort of plushness that comes with a large size vehicle.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep and yep. I avoided the "H" word as it caused so much consternation in another thread.
Sponsored