Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Fellow bronco’ers! My son and I just got back from PA. We had a great (and easy experience) picking it up from Chapman Ford. We drove back his 4 Door OBX 2.3 hardtop 670 miles to Knoxville. Averaged 21.7 MPG.

Since I’ve had my 4 door BL 2.7 softtop since July, I’ve got a pretty good feel for the truck as well as the driving dynamics.

I was expecting a lot of hardtop noise; squeaks and rattles based on reading B6G posts. I was sorely disappointed…. Not a single rattle, squeak, or pop from his OBX. Ford must have listened and corrected the issues that others were (and maybe still are having). The OBX hardtop was quieter than my soft top (as it should be). In all fairness, my BL has 34” BFG M/Ts which create a fair amount of road noise, especially at interstate speeds. I do notice more noise from the 4 banger under acceleration. Much better than I expected. At least it doesn’t sound like my wife’s previous car (Volvo XC90 with supercharged 4 cylinder). I sold that car because it sounded like my John Deere diesel farm tractor on a cold morning. Not kidding.

In summary, I was very pleased and impressed with the 4 cylinder hardtop. His truck was blended on 10/25. I wanted the soft-top on my BL from the beginning so I don’t regret it. The hardtop is more of a security issue when he is away at college.

BTW, I was surprised by the torque and responsiveness of his 4 cylinder. Way better than I expected. I let him order the truck as he wished (he had to keep the sticker under $50k). Saved enough money at Chapman to upgrade his wheels, tires, pod lights. and bumper. (He is getting my Mod bumper and I’m getting an ARB).

8955BA85-C2AC-4971-95CD-FFDB7793D554 (1).jpeg
Way to go Dad. Love it.
Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fellow bronco’ers! My son and I just got back from PA. We had a great (and easy experience) picking it up from Chapman Ford. We drove back his 4 Door OBX 2.3 hardtop 670 miles to Knoxville. Averaged 21.7 MPG.

Since I’ve had my 4 door BL 2.7 softtop since July, I’ve got a pretty good feel for the truck as well as the driving dynamics.

I was expecting a lot of hardtop noise; squeaks and rattles based on reading B6G posts. I was sorely disappointed…. Not a single rattle, squeak, or pop from his OBX. Ford must have listened and corrected the issues that others were (and maybe still are having). The OBX hardtop was quieter than my soft top (as it should be). In all fairness, my BL has 34” BFG M/Ts which create a fair amount of road noise, especially at interstate speeds. I do notice more noise from the 4 banger under acceleration. Much better than I expected. At least it doesn’t sound like my wife’s previous car (Volvo XC90 with supercharged 4 cylinder). I sold that car because it sounded like my John Deere diesel farm tractor on a cold morning. Not kidding.

In summary, I was very pleased and impressed with the 4 cylinder hardtop. His truck was blended on 10/25. I wanted the soft-top on my BL from the beginning so I don’t regret it. The hardtop is more of a security issue when he is away at college.

BTW, I was surprised by the torque and responsiveness of his 4 cylinder. Way better than I expected. I let him order the truck as he wished (he had to keep the sticker under $50k). Saved enough money at Chapman to upgrade his wheels, tires, pod lights. and bumper. (He is getting my Mod bumper and I’m getting an ARB).

Congratulations on successfully getting one off to college and thanks for the assessment of the two trims and tops. I hope you enjoy both for many years to come!

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kid needs a job and buy his own Bronco. If he gets a scholarship that's great too but let me guess it's in athletics...

OP
OP
soonerbronco

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did you manage to get two. I'm also a day one reservation holder had hard top but changed to soft when they announced my color would be deleted for 22. I finally received a build date after being pushed to a 22.
I reserved both broncos on day 1. I ordered the soft top from a Nashville dealer who offered invoice pricing. I ordered the hardtop from Chapman in PA who offered invoice minus 3%. I figured the road trip with my son would be worth saving another $1500. The hard top was delayed many times. I suspect my 2 dealers' allocation formulas may have also helped. Not sure. Wish I had more insight for you.

Sponsored

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From just south of you in the Nooga/Ringgold area, congrats to you and your son. Some great life lessons there.

Is UTC looking at him?

I had a full ride scholarship to UGA for academics. Mom and dad still sent me to college WITHOUT a car that first year. I like your plan much, much better! No car suuuuuucked.

SoCalDawg

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX 460
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From just south of you in the Nooga/Ringgold area, congrats to you and your son. Some great life lessons there.

Is UTC looking at him?

I had a full ride scholarship to UGA for academics. Mom and dad still sent me to college WITHOUT a car that first year. I like your plan much, much better! No car suuuuuucked.
From Brunswick. I drove a $500 hoopty 1982 Blazer my dad bought for fun. I was driving a car with a payment. I offered to buy that Blazer from my dad for $500 and I have him use the money he was making a car payment and give that to me to help with college. Also UGA.

OP
OP
soonerbronco

soonerbronco

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is UTC looking at him?

Yes. He really likes Chattanooga. We were invited on a gameday visit but he’s not felt any love since then. He holds his school record for career tackles. Runs a 4.59 on a laser. 34” vertical. Played out of position at MLB but that’s what his coach needed. Should be a SS, FS or DB. Also, a helluva a long snapper.

biswamberpal

Wildtrak
First Name
Biswamber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yup. Both reserved first day. Hard top was delayed about 5 times. The wait on the OBX worked out for us because my son’s truck had to be “earned” via college scholarship. He got his first offer a few weeks ago. Everything is screwed up and delayed this year because of NCAA COVID eligibility rules. He still can’t drive it daily until he commits to an offer commensurate with the cost of the truck. I’m trying to create a learning moment. If he doesn’t accept and commit….. the OBX will be sold and he will go back to his 24 y/o Toyota.
you have set an example. I just now shared this with my 15yr son and wife. Best wishes to your son, I am sure he will earn this !

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yup. Both reserved first day. Hard top was delayed about 5 times. The wait on the OBX worked out for us because my son’s truck had to be “earned” via college scholarship. He got his first offer a few weeks ago. Everything is screwed up and delayed this year because of NCAA COVID eligibility rules. He still can’t drive it daily until he commits to an offer commensurate with the cost of the truck. I’m trying to create a learning moment. If he doesn’t accept and commit….. the OBX will be sold and he will go back to his 24 y/o Toyota.
Parents teaching about “real” life, choices and consequences- I love it!

El Jeffe

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco OBX, 2012 Maserati GTC, 2021 BMWx5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

A very good opportunity for your son and a tangible reward if his hard work in school and sports comes to fruition. My daughter got into law school this spring and gave her my first reservation ( bd, 4 dr, 2.7 mic) when she got a full ride scholarship. It arrived the day before she was to leave so perfect timing. Now I’m driving the Jeep Liberty I bought her when she turned 16 until the second order arrives. It’s great to see what young men and women can do when motivated, and what better motivation than a Bronco.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope your son appreciates how ridiculously fortunate he is to have a parent willing to buy a car for him, let alone a brand new one.
I hope so too! I got a $800 Yamaha in high school...
And ultimately dropped out. Lol
🤷

Broncogoat

Badlands
First Name
lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My hardtop makes some popping noises, but only on cold days. If yours is similar, in TN you probably won't have an issue.

I can't imagine someone buying their child a 50k vehicle. Do you need another son?
After having my Badlands for two months the MIC top is rattling on the passenger side every time I hit a bump. I have taken the top off 4 or 5 times to try and figure out what's going on without any luck. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer for a review of the situation. Very irritating!!

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My youngest daughter is a junior and will definitely be getting multiple scholarships to help with her college costs, unlike her two older siblings, who will both be college graduates in May.

I'm a 7/20 res holder holding out for my 4dr/OBX/MIC/SAS/2.7/Lux, but today, I placed an order for her; a 4dr/OB/Lux without the hardtop or SAS or any other extras hoping that will speed up delivery. The dealer has a set of 33's from the factory that he is saving and giving me a fair trade-in for the non-SAS stock wheels and tires.

We haven't told her yet as she is still at her after school practice, but she will be over the moon. Our oldest will love the news as he drove a Buick with 125k miles on it when he was her age until the engine blew up one rainy homecoming Friday night his senior year, lol. Being the youngest and also an exceptional student has it's advantages. :)
Sponsored