Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm trying to break down these G.O.A.T. modes into places where I'd use them. I've never had a "mode" in a vehicle before, though my current car has 2H, AWD, and rear lockers that are super useful on loose gravel and ice. So I'm mostly just guessing here, based on my very limited knowledge of what these modes do (thanks to everyone who's been posting about them because I have been learning).

This is how I see it so far - looking for feedback, of course:

Normal: Going to the store or anywhere else in town where there's a stoplight every tenth of a mile.

Eco: Long drives on paved roads with steady speeds and not a whole lot of traffic. Think Highway 550, 160, 50, 24 (not during rush hour).

Sport: Driving the interstates (I-25 between Raton Pass and Fort Collins) with a lot of fast-moving traffic and/or high passes (I-70 around the Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass).

Slippery: Heavy rain or snow, ice. Anywhere.

Sand: Loose sand and gravel backroads, over backroad passes to any trailhead. Deep snow on dirt or pavement. Trip into canyons, San Rafael Swell, etc. in Utah (yeah, I know, not Colorado but everybody in Colorado spends time in Utah).

Mud: Not available on Base, but I can see this being super useful after a long day on the trail or the peaks after significant rainfall has left that nice dirt road you drove in on a muddy mess. Depending on how deep and wet, may substitute Slippery or Sand.

Baja: Also, not available on Base, but may be useful on those long stretches of dirt in southern Colorado, like around Westcliffe, driving into the Sangres and Crestones, Great Sand Dunes. Substitute Sand?

Crawl: The more serious backroads like the upper part of Lake Como/Blanca, which I will never drive. Also Moab, which I love to visit but only for hiking and climbing. Not on the Base anyway which is a good thing, probably, so I won't be tempted. Substitute...go slow?

Am I close? Way off? What are you guys thinking?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Eco: Long drives on paved roads with steady speeds and not a whole lot of traffic. Think Highway 550, 160, 50, 24 (not during rush hour).

Uh, don't think so. ECO will upshift soon and kill throttle response, can't really think of anywhere in CO where it would be appropriate (maybe around Limon), especially those highways you mentioned. Normal or Sport for those. And rush hour on 24? near CO Sprngs I assume.

Baja: Also, not available on Base, but may be useful on those long stretches of dirt in southern Colorado, like around Westcliffe, driving into the Sangres and Crestones, Great Sand Dunes. Substitute Sand?

Baja is high speed off road, from what I know of the areas you list, Rock Crawl would be more appropriate. And if you decide to drive the Great Sand Dunes good luck explaining that you were just checking out your Modes to the Ranger.

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Uh, don't think so. ECO will upshift soon and kill throttle response, can't really think of anywhere in CO where it would be appropriate (maybe around Limon), especially those highways you mentioned. Normal or Sport for those. And rush hour on 24? near CO Sprngs I assume.
Thanks - that's helpful. Yeah, 24 gets crazy some days/times.

Baja is high speed off road, from what I know of the areas you list, Rock Crawl would be more appropriate. And if you decide to drive the Great Sand Dunes good luck explaining that you were just checking out your Modes to the Ranger.
I'm talking about the very long dirt roads between Westcliffe and the Sangres. I drive 40ish on them, so we're probably not talking about the same roads.

Also, would never drive on the sand dunes, but I was thinking more the roads around the dunes like Medano Pass, for example. Make sense?

Thanks for your feedback!

Pie Grande

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (eventually)
Your Bronco Model
Base
thought you were talking about in a Chevy Colorado lol

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks - that's helpful. Yeah, 24 gets crazy some days/times.

I'm talking about the very long dirt roads between Westcliffe and the Sangres. I drive 40ish on them, so we're probably not talking about the same roads.

Also, would never drive on the sand dunes, but I was thinking more the roads around the dunes like Medano Pass, for example. Make sense?

Thanks for your feedback!
Yeah, right high speed gravel = Baja, and I would think Sand on the lower reaches of Medano. Do you live in the SLV? ,,and is your avatar Independence Monument? I live in Grand Jct.

Reactions: sjp

Sponsored
OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, right high speed gravel = Baja, and I would think Sand on the lower reaches of Medano. Do you live in the SLV? ,,and is your avatar Independence Monument? I live in Grand Jct.
I live in the Springs but I drive all over the state for one of my jobs. Have done a bunch of trips to the San Luis Valley.

Yeah, that's Indie! If you drive to the overlook, you'll see that picture of me climbing it. They used it on their informational sign. That's John Otto on the left, in black and white, and me on the right on a sunny day in November a few years back. The "real" Indie is there in the valley. But you probably knew that :)

Love that area!

Ford Bronco G.O.A.T. Modes in Colorado 1607471961674

Ryderman1

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm trying to break down these G.O.A.T. modes into places where I'd use them. I've never had a "mode" in a vehicle before, though my current car has 2H, AWD, and rear lockers that are super useful on loose gravel and ice. So I'm mostly just guessing here, based on my very limited knowledge of what these modes do (thanks to everyone who's been posting about them because I have been learning).

This is how I see it so far - looking for feedback, of course:

Normal: Going to the store or anywhere else in town where there's a stoplight every tenth of a mile.

Sport: Driving the interstates (I-25 between Raton Pass and Fort Collins) with a lot of fast-moving traffic and/or high passes (I-70 around the Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass).

Slippery: Heavy rain or snow, ice. Anywhere.

Sand: Loose sand and gravel backroads, over backroad passes to any trailhead. Deep snow on dirt or pavement. Trip into canyons, San Rafael Swell, etc. in Utah (yeah, I know, not Colorado but everybody in Colorado spends time in Utah).

Mud: Not available on Base, but I can see this being super useful after a long day on the trail or the peaks after significant rainfall has left that nice dirt road you drove in on a muddy mess. Depending on how deep and wet, may substitute Slippery or Sand.

Crawl: The more serious backroads like the upper part of Lake Como/Blanca, which I will never drive. Also Moab, which I love to visit but only for hiking and climbing. Not on the Base anyway which is a good thing, probably, so I won't be tempted. Substitute...go slow?

Am I close? Way off? What are you guys thinking?
I was thinking about thos earlier today. I am probably going base sasquatch and was wondering what could substitute for mud/rut setting. Its hard for me to believe there is that much difference between sand vs mud/rut settings. All i will ever see in mississippi is mud, so i really wish the base had this setting, but i guess sand or just old school 4x4 should be sufficient.

OP
OP
sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking about thos earlier today. I am probably going base sasquatch and was wondering what could substitute for mud/rut setting. Its hard for me to believe there is that much difference between sand vs mud/rut settings. All i will ever see in mississippi is mud, so i really wish the base had this setting, but i guess sand or just old school 4x4 should be sufficient.
I'm Basquatch for sure, and I agree that there are probably workarounds for those modes we don't have. Between 4H, 4L, 2H, AWD, front and rear lockers, plus the good old gas, brake, and many years of driving experience, we should be able to figure it out. Always more to learn, though!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife has different modes in her GC trailhawk. Only 2 that have ever been used out here outside of normal is Snow (essentially eliminates 1st gear) and rock crawl mode. She had me permanently disable eco mode because it was too slow for her. That was after I locked her out of sport mode. After reactivating sport mode, I asked her the other day why her mpg is 2 mpg less than my giant f150 on 35” MT and 6” lift. Obviously she’s hot rodding around town in sport mode lol.

she wont have that sport option in the Bronco though since she’s getting the BL.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm Basquatch for sure, and I agree that there are probably workarounds for those modes we don't have. Between 4H, 4L, 2H, AWD, front and rear lockers, plus the good old gas, brake, and many years of driving experience, we should be able to figure it out. Always more to learn, though!
Recall reading a while back..on an old thread...that someone who is a FORScan wizard might be able to unlock or somehow add modes for those of us who don't have them all. Figured it was a topic I'd keep in mind but real dig into when the time comes to consider it.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I drive in Eco all the time! My car is 500hp almost but still eco can be used anywhere, I use it on the highway. The 2.7 will be pretty dang fast even in eco I’d think.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nice I’m also in GJ! Is your reservation through Western Slope Ford?

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recall reading a while back..on an old thread...that someone who is a FORScan wizard might be able to unlock or somehow add modes for those of us who don't have them all. Figured it was a topic I'd keep in mind but real dig into when the time comes to consider it.
I'm hoping this is true...would love to unlock as many modes as I can for my BaseSquatch. I would guess the modes are all programmed into the powertrain/transmission controller(s), and something like a "trim code" unlocks particular modes based on your Bronco's trim level.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm hoping this is true...would love to unlock as many modes as I can for my BaseSquatch. I would guess the modes are all programmed into the powertrain/transmission controller(s), and something like a "trim code" unlocks particular modes based on your Bronco's trim level.
I want to download new modes over-the-air like its a video game lol

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking Baja will be nice for those long stretches of washboarded roads. Even though one isn’t hauling the mail, it think it will help with traction and bouncing around too bad.
Sponsored