Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been using Gaia on my Base model Bronco with Apple CarPlay and it works OK. the CarPlay interface lacks some of the functionality, but it's usable. I specifically chose Gaia over Onx for this reason. My Base model isn't eligible for Ford's slick trail nav (have they even released that yet?) so I had to find a different solution. Gaia looks great even on the 8" screen.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't like Gaia on AA.

I use it often on my phone for hiking and riding but it just doesn't translate well to AA on my Tacoma. I'd still rather run it off an iPad ideally, or even a phone, in conjunction with a paper map if I really needed it in the truck.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been using Gaia on my Base model Bronco with Apple CarPlay and it works OK. the CarPlay interface lacks some of the functionality, but it's usable. I specifically chose Gaia over Onx for this reason. My Base model isn't eligible for Ford's slick trail nav (have they even released that yet?) so I had to find a different solution. Gaia looks great even on the 8" screen.
I was able to get a little deal on Gaia So I went with it. It has a lot of power, but frankly I have a hard time using the thing so I was thinking of switching to ONx.

I'm not really a car play person, But then again I've never really been on trails where I'm looking at navigation. What makes ONX not work?

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was able to get a little deal on Gaia So I went with it. It has a lot of power, but frankly I have a hard time using the thing so I was thinking of switching to ONx.

I'm not really a car play person, But then again I've never really been on trails where I'm looking at navigation. What makes ONX not work?
No all apps work with CarPlay. The developer has to bake the CarPlay integration into the app, then Apple (and Android I assume) have to approve it for CarPlay use. You can't just mirror any app on your phone to CarPlay to display on your vehicle's screen.

Onx is a great app. You can simply use it on your phone, in your Bronco, if you want. But it just won't display on the vehicle's screen. I hope they can get their CarPlay integration sorted out though, as I'd love to try it out.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No all apps work with CarPlay. The developer has to bake the CarPlay integration into the app, then Apple (and Android I assume) have to approve it for CarPlay use. You can't just mirror any app on your phone to CarPlay to display on your vehicle's screen.

Onx is a great app. You can simply use it on your phone, in your Bronco, if you want. But it just won't display on the vehicle's screen. I hope they can get their CarPlay integration sorted out though, as I'd love to try it out.
Gotcha. I've never once connected my phone to my car's display So I don't know the details of CarPlay (I actually have an Android) Hell I barely connect the BT for phone calls because I really try not to even use my phone while driving.

The last time I was out driving around and trying to watch my phone on the trails I realized it'd be pretty nice to have it up on that big 12-in screen though.

Of course my kid got a kick out of holding my phone and playing navigator so I may just stick with that.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use onX for hunting and all my buddies use it as well. I really really hope they do CarPlay and Android Auto here soon.

Anyone have any photos of what Gaia looks like when up on the car screen?

UhOh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use onX for hunting and all my buddies use it as well. I really really hope they do CarPlay and Android Auto here soon.

Emailed OnX a few weeks ago, they are in testing for Carplay and hope to have it out by the end of the year.

Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Emailed OnX a few weeks ago, they are in testing for Carplay and hope to have it out by the end of the year.
Oh sick! Does that include Android Auto I assume too?

UhOh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh sick! Does that include Android Auto I assume too?
Not sure on that. I run it thru an IPad in my current rig. Would like to ditch the iPad and run the whole thing thru my phone and thru the 12” screen, but am unsure how zooming in and out on sat imagery is gonna look (which is what I do most with it). Also remember that if you have the 12” screen, a portion of the screen is not usable for CarPlay stuff, so you’ll never have “full screen Onx”. So I am still unsure about how the whole thing is gonna work/look.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I show it briefly in this video (near the beginning). But I was on a paved road at the time so it doesn't show a good representation of the detailed terrain view. I didn't get another shot of it while we were off-roading. I'll try to get you some still shots of that next time I get a chance.

I will say that one issue I've had with using it is that the CarPlay disconnects sometimes when you're out of cell range. I'm not sure if that's a feature or a bug. In the areas where I've used it so far, cell service was spotty. But it's something we'll want to investigate further before we can truly say this is a viable back-country navigation solution. Of course you can download maps and use Gaia (and ONx) without cell service, on your phone. But if the CarPlay connection drops when you don't have cell service, you'll be looking at it on your phone, not the in-car screen, when you get out where the busses don't run.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure on that. I run it thru an IPad in my current rig. Would like to ditch the iPad and run the whole thing thru my phone and thru the 12” screen, but am unsure how zooming in and out on sat imagery is gonna look (which is what I do most with it). Also remember that if you have the 12” screen, a portion of the screen is not usable for CarPlay stuff, so you’ll never have “full screen Onx”. So I am still unsure about how the whole thing is gonna work/look.
I show it briefly in this video (near the beginning). But I was on a paved road at the time so it doesn't show a good representation of the detailed terrain view. I didn't get another shot of it while we were off-roading. I'll try to get you some still shots of that next time I get a chance.

I will say that one issue I've had with using it is that the CarPlay disconnects sometimes when you're out of cell range. I'm not sure if that's a feature or a bug. In the areas where I've used it so far, cell service was spotty. But it's something we'll want to investigate further before we can truly say this is a viable back-country navigation solution. Of course you can download maps and use Gaia (and ONx) without cell service, on your phone. But if the CarPlay connection drops when you don't have cell service, you'll be looking at it on your phone, not the in-car screen, when you get out where the busses don't run.
Yeah...seems like time will tell how this will all play out. I'm build week 11/8 and eager to play around. Thanks for the video!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just installed AllTrails, downloaded the ones I think we will be using on my phone plus a few extra.
Interesting that the CarPlay disconnects with no cell service (or seems to), as there is no cell service down in Big Bend (hence the downloaded map part of it).
I'll definitely put this to the test when I go in a few weeks and report back.
Sponsored