Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful Air installation. I have to think that a pressure washer system might not be far behind!

Obesssed Pressure Washer Setup.jpg
Thanks! 👍

I like that pressure washer system, but since I don’t have floor drains, I still have to wash my vehicles in my driveway. 😂
To the OP, that is awesome. I had to sell my house & shop for a sudden move, and am now dragging a 1“ line across the rental garage for blasting. I'm jealous!

Definitely not overkill if you already had it at that price! For comparison, my uncle is a farmer and needed a lot of air for the winter repairs. He found an old industrial 4-cylinder compressor the size of the bronco engines and mounted it on an old 500 gallon propane tank. THAT was overkill... But the price was right. 😂
Thank you! 🙂 Yes, a 4-cylinder compressor and 500-gal tank would make my system look puny! 🤪
I really like that piping system, that's on my 'someday' list for the garage, although if I'm honest with myself my pancake compressor (and several sets of earplugs) are serving me just fine for the time being. Keep threatening to start a riveted aluminum project which would be a damn good excuse, but it hasn't happened yet.
Thank you! 👍

FWIW, I was building an empennage kit for a RV-10 aircraft when I first installed the system, but I abandoned the project years ago due to a heavy travel schedule and lack of time. At one point, I had so many aluminum components temporarily connected and awaiting riveting that a friend of mine jokingly asked me if I was trying to corner the market on Clecos. 😂
BOLT IT with thick rubber pads made for installing. Years ago I purchased a Kobalt from Lowes and did not bolt it down at first. If I recall correctly either the head gasket or some other part failed due to the vibration. They actually swapped out for a new one, lowes handled warranty as it was less than a week old.

25 years later it is still bolted down but moisture has always been a problem.

I installed a pipe system in my farm shop but used black pipe screwed together and installed a 6" drop with valve to drain at every vertical drop to quick connects. And when I was done I learned that PEX plastic pipe is rated more than high enough for my compressor.

Will be moving farm shop to detached garage where vehicles are and I love your setup, especially the condensate system
You’re right about the rubber pads. I was always going to re-use mine, but I was wavering between mounting them on top of the skid, or just removing the skid and bolting the compressor directly to the concrete floor with the pads. I think hearing your experience has made my choice clear now. 👍
So..... you are choking that compressor with the miniscule size of the filter/regulator. In addition, I would never run an unguarded polycarbonate bowl on a a filter with a 175 psi compressor. That should have a metal bowl on it and should have larger port sizes..
Agreed. It was never optimal. Any specific recommendations for a replacement? I’m always receptive to good advice. Thanks. 👍
Sponsored

Last edited:

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
FWIW, I was building an empennage kit for a RV-10 aircraft when I first installed the system, but I abandoned the project years ago due to a heavy travel schedule and lack of time. At one point, I had so many aluminum components temporarily connected and awaiting riveting that a friend of mine jokingly asked me if I was trying to corner the market on Clecos. 😂
I want to start an RV-8 quite badly, but right now with two kids in kindergarten, I know I'm probably a solid 10 years away from having anything resembling free time!

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very nice. I do have a question about your bucket. Does atomized water spray out of the outlet hole? If no do you have a diffuser of some kind on your hose going into the lid?

I have a similar bucket set up but water comes right out as the 175psi purge happens.

I went with an Eaton compressor polar air. They spin their pumps much slower so sound levels are low without the need for insulation. IR is a great brand. You certainly didn't go wrong there. Just making others aware of options.

I also had rapid air lines. Same concept as yours. Good stuff. But when I upgraded from and old husky box store compressor to the big 10hp Eaton I went all Cu. Cost was actually lower and I wanted the heat dissipating qualities of Cu.

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice. I do have a question about your bucket. Does atomized water spray out of the outlet hole? If no do you have a diffuser of some kind on your hose going into the lid?

I have a similar bucket set up but water comes right out as the 175psi purge happens.

I went with an Eaton compressor polar air. They spin their pumps much slower so sound levels are low without the need for insulation. IR is a great brand. You certainly didn't go wrong there. Just making others aware of options.

I also had rapid air lines. Same concept as yours. Good stuff. But when I upgraded from and old husky box store compressor to the big 10hp Eaton I went all Cu. Cost was actually lower and I wanted the heat dissipating qualities of Cu.
There is no diffuser on my condensate hose. Just straight, flexible hose. The automatic purge valve operates frequently enough (i.e., 2-second purge every 10 minutes) that little condensate comes out on each cycle, so the set-up works well in the background and is barely noticeable.

Every few months when I’m working on an active project, I’ll notice the water level has risen slightly, but as a DIY/enthusiast working on stuff part-time, I have never had more than a gallon or two collected before I dumped it.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put mine up stairs and piped it down into the shop to keep the noise away. and save the room in the shop.

Sponsored

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd guess a quart of water in my bucket and it starts misting outwards. Maybe I need to start with a new lid and pick different locations than my current ones for inlet and vent.

Thanks for the reply.

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

nice job with the home air system! I have a trans air system and piped it in a "halo" above with my compressor up on the mezzanine in the corner to keep sound down. I put two pull downs and an outlet by the bay door. Love that system. .

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So..... you are choking that compressor with the miniscule size of the filter/regulator. In addition, I would never run an unguarded polycarbonate bowl on a a filter with a 175 psi compressor. That should have a metal bowl on it and should have larger port sizes..
Jeff, per your advice, I upgraded my single filter/regulator to increase port sizes and airflow and also replaced the single poly bowl with metal bowls on dual filters.

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System AB26CB99-F160-4303-8FAB-B9F3536CD246

PneumaticPlus SAU430-N04G-MEP 3 Stage Compressed Air Filter Dryer System - Particulate Air Filter, Coalescing Air Filter, Compressed Air Pressure Regulator Combo, 1/2" NPT - Metal Bowl, Manual Drain

Thanks to @broadicustomworks for feedback on the model I chose after some careful research, which turned out to be the exact same model he purchased several years ago. 👍 😎

Last edited:

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m old I need a much bigger gauge to see what’s going on. Put it up on the ceiling since my compressors up in the attic.

Attachments

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BOLT IT with thick rubber pads made for installing. Years ago I purchased a Kobalt from Lowes and did not bolt it down at first. If I recall correctly either the head gasket or some other part failed due to the vibration. They actually swapped out for a new one, lowes handled warranty as it was less than a week old.

25 years later it is still bolted down but moisture has always been a problem.
FYI, this weekend, I bolted the compressor to the floor with concrete anchors, steel plates and aluminum shims for level, and 4”x4”x7/8” anti-vibration, isolation, 3-layer rubber pads (rubber-EVA-rubber), so the compressor installation is now complete. 👍

Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System 7AD9071D-3DCD-45E5-A488-2DED8EE0DE90
Ford Bronco Garage Air Compressor and Transair Piping System FE269247-20F9-4996-9555-4377B8E21EC4

Last edited:

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the condensation here is what I did in my last shop. I have not had time in my new one to do it yet.

Come off the compressor head (instead of going straight into the tank) with coil copper.

Take the coil copper and run it though a series of straight copper pipe set up like a radiator along a wall or ceiling. (This will allow the air a chance to cool off before going into the tank)

Angle the solid pipe so it drains to a low point and install a drain.

Run from the top of the solid pipe to the tank via a coil copper line.

All the hot air from the compressor head gets a chance to cool off before it enters the tank. This allows the moisture to drain to the low point before it enters the tank.

Basically a radiator for the compressor.
Sponsored